Texas Hunting Forum

Cooking duck....

Posted By: Guy

Cooking duck.... - 12/08/21 11:56 PM

Cooked these last night. Aged a week, skin scored and salted a day or 2 prior... The steak fries are to die for...

Get the steak fries going first.. These are mallards..
[Linked Image]

Then add the duck...Skin down 90% of the cook time to get it crispy...
[Linked Image]

Let the duck rest, you want to see the blood drain out, then you know you did not over cook it..
[Linked Image]

Swirl the steak fries around in the duck fat, and turn it up...
[Linked Image]

This is same dish, but cooked this about a week ago...These are all wood ducks..
[Linked Image]
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 12:13 AM

Looks good.

I got the duck duck goose cookbook and can't wait to try that out
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 12:40 AM

Where did the steak fries come from? Looks awesome to me!

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by bobcat1
Where did the steak fries come from?

I just cut up a potato and cooked them as shown.

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 12:55 AM

up
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 02:07 AM

Looks good!

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 03:51 AM

Yep. I'd eat that before a ribeye I bet. Someday I'm gonna blast me a few.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 07:09 AM

flehan
Posted By: Tortoise2187

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 10:10 AM

looks like good eating.
Posted By: cbump

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 01:38 PM

Looks great.
Posted By: Coastalquacker

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 01:56 PM

one of my favorite ways to do mallards and woodducks, that looks great!

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Coastalquacker
one of my favorite ways to do mallards and woodducks, that looks great!

Any puddle duck is good like this. Drakes will have a better layer of fat/skin on them. I love eating GWT teal drakes like this, the breast feathers come off so easy. Pic below is a GWT drake cleaned and cook like this few weeks ago. Another tip is cut that hard blue skin off, one side is worse than the other. You normally cannot chew it up…

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 02:25 PM

Nice! I had some duck that was basted in blackberry\habanero jelly ans garlic butter. grill

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 03:01 PM

How you aging It?
Posted By: ElkOne

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 03:36 PM

You did a great job , that's awesome eating food up
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by cbump
How you aging It?

With Thyme of course!
stir

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 03:59 PM

How you aging It?

I like to age them a week. You can age them whole, guts and all, on their back in the fridge is fine. My preference is to breast them, clean them day 1, get blood clots out, feathers plucked, put on a plate, plastic wrap on top. Maybe put a paper towel in there to sop up the excess juice, but not so much it dries out. You can pepper them up, given them a flip ever day or every other day, let them know you still love them. I might let them soak in water day 1.

If the breast has been shot, you do not want to age them whole, you want to clean them and get the blood clots out. That blood and shot up skin can get hard if you do not clean them.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by wal1809
How you aging It?

With Thyme of course!
stir

Lmao

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
How you aging It?

I like to age them a week. You can age them whole, guts and all, on their back in the fridge is fine. My preference is to breast them, clean them day 1, get blood clots out, feathers plucked, put on a plate, plastic wrap on top. Maybe put a paper towel in there to sop up the excess juice, but not so much it dries out. You can pepper them up, given them a flip ever day or every other day, let them know you still love them. I might let them soak in water day 1.

If the breast has been shot, you do not want to age them whole, you want to clean them and get the blood clots out. That blood and shot up skin can get hard if you do not clean them.

[Linked Image]

Good stuff.
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

[Linked Image]

Good stuff.

This is why I only make headshots. aim
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 06:21 PM

I cook that very dish with one small exception. If I get into some teal, some of them usually get cooked that day.

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 08:21 PM

I have aged mine whole in the past. Sometimes I miss some pellets in the breast or guts so now I pluck them right away and if the guts or breast are not shot up I'll hang them in the aging fridge for a week. If I'm making pastrami or prosciutto I'll draw and cut up, salt for three days then hang for two weeks to a month.

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jiggamitch

Ya I try to shoot that closest wing while it's in the raised position. I usually aim for that sixth feather from the second joint...:)

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by jnd59

Ya I try to shoot that closest wing while it's in the raised position. I usually aim for that sixth feather from the second joint...:)

I only shoot drakes, and I like shooting their left nut off, drops them like a rock. smile ani
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/09/21 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by jnd59

I only shoot drakes, and I like shooting their left nut off, drops them like a rock. smile ani

Lol that's cruel and unusual punishment!

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/10/21 03:23 AM

That makes a decent challenge on a left to right bird...
Posted By: hogwart

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/13/21 11:25 AM

OMG! I just about had an organism looking at the photos.

Sure wish I had got my floating blind finished in time for a duck hunt last fall.

I never see ducks in the fields around here so haven't enjoyed eating one in over thirty years.

I could eat three roast ducks in one setting. I'd suffer for a couple of days if I did, but it would be worth it.

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/27/21 12:07 AM

I just made some gadwall this way. They were whole aging for a week. Scored the skin, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder. Omg they were good. Mouth watering. Whoever says duck isn’t good doesn’t know how to cook It right.

They were a little on the too rare side so next time I’ll do an extra minute or two. But still good. More of a mental thing.

The other day I chopped up a breast real fine and threw It in with some hamburger meat I used to make chili. Couldn't tell at all but It was a good use I think.

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/27/21 04:44 PM

I just made some gadwall this way. They were whole aging for a week. Scored the skin, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder. Omg they were good. Mouth watering. Whoever says duck isn’t good doesn’t know how to cook It right.

They were a little on the too rare side so next time I’ll do an extra minute or two. But still good. More of a mental thing.

Good job. Duck takes longer too cook than a beef steak. I like my duck and steak Med to Med/Rare... Like this, this is BWT, that layer of fat on top bursts with flavor.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/27/21 04:48 PM

Only picture I took. Sorry It was mid eat so the plate is messy. You can see it’s a little rare lol. Tasted great though. I think I did 5 minutes on the skin side, 2 or 3 on the other.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/27/21 05:49 PM

Love duck cooked this way :

BRINE OVER NIGHT

GET MY GRILL AS HOT AS POSSIBLE, 700 T0 800

BRUSH DUCK JUST LIKE IN THE ABOVE PICTURES, WITH OLIVE OIL, THEN CORSE BLACK PERRER, AND A LIGHT DUSTING OF

LOWERY'S GARLIC SALT

PUT ON THE GRILL SKIN SIDE DOWN FOR 2MIN, FLIP OVER 2MINS, FLIP2MINS, FLIP OVER 2MINS AND DONE LET REST, ENJOY

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/27/21 05:52 PM

THIS WOULD BE FOR MALLARDS OR OTHER BIG DUCKS, FOR TEAL OR SMALLER BIRDS AJUST DOWN ABOUT 39 SECONDS PER

SIDE
Posted By: buckmaster07

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/28/21 03:55 AM

I’ve been trying to get my duck more tender and the skin more crispy. I have a good marinade of red wine and olive, but is that hurting it? Do I need to dry age longer? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Also, only cooking with gaddies or mallards.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/28/21 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by buckmaster07
I’ve been trying to get my duck more tender and the skin more crispy. I have a good marinade of red wine and olive, but is that hurting it? Do I need to dry age longer? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Also, only cooking with gaddies or mallards.

Not hurting. Switch to Avocado oil and cast iron. Avocado oil has a higher flash temp.

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/28/21 04:24 PM

Try with out the marinade, and see how you like it better. You are never going to get it tender like a tenderloin, and skin crispy like chicken. I this thread, I explain pretty well how I do it, try that and see how you like.

I would do the marinade instead for poppers. I do not like to marinade my steak, duck or beef. That's just me. Here is how I like to do a steak..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: buckmaster07

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/29/21 03:09 AM

I’ll give it a try without the marinade this time around and let it dry age for a few days so it might tenderize. Shouldn’t that help?

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/29/21 05:17 AM

I’ll give it a try without the marinade this time around and let it dry age for a few days so it might tenderize. Shouldn’t that help?

Not “dry age”. Read my post when cbump ask “How you aging It?” Not enough duck meat to “dry age”. Yes it will help to age it. See the difference yourself, I notice a difference every day I go and give them a flip. But don’t expect miracles. Also fresh, eat them fresh. You can age them 2 weeks like this.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/29/21 10:52 AM

Nice Guy!

Love it, wish more hunters would expand their culinary knowledge about wild game cooking.

We live in a society where if it doesn't taste like beef, chicken or pork it's no good.

Re: Cooking duck.... - 12/29/21 01:43 PM

To cook crispy skin it needs to be dry. Hanging or resting in a fridge will help to dry it. Wet or brined skin is hard to crisp.
Posted By: SowHntr

Re: Cooking duck.... - 01/08/22 05:10 PM

Nice looking meals!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum