Texas Hunting Forum

left to right or right to left

Posted By: J.P. Greeson

left to right or right to left - 12/08/21 10:46 PM

Just curious if you shoot better on birds flying right to left or left to right, or are you equally accurate either way. I am better at acquiring my target on birds passing right to left.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/08/21 11:03 PM

Another option equally inaccurate!
Posted By: 68A

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/08/21 11:23 PM

Right handed, left to right
Posted By: Guy

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/08/21 11:33 PM

Its an interesting question, never thought about it, really do not know. I shoot right handed, swinging right to left feels more natural.
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 12:12 AM

Generally speaking most right hand shooters shoot better on birds left to right bc they do not have to look across the barrel. Most left hand shooters shoot more accurately right to left for the same reason.

Looking across thr barrel normally causes some obstruction that decreases accuracy.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 12:12 AM

I feel I shoot better left to right. I have more peripheral vision and not looking across the gun.

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 12:47 AM

1 eye is looking across the barrel, 1 eye looking down the barrel. Important concept. You want your dominant eye looking down the barrel, non-dominant eye across. If you are strong right or left eye dominant, in your peripheral vision you will see one barrel based on dominate eye. If both eyes are equally dominate, which is my situation, you see 2 barrels, and you need to know which barrel to put on bird. If you are left eye dominate and right handed shooter, you will never hit a bird unless you close your left eye.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 12:58 AM

I only have peripheral vision in my left after cancer at 3 years old. I shoot lefty and it really doesn't matter. I miss both ways equally. grin
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 03:23 AM

Left to right is my favorite
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by bobcat1
I only have peripheral vision in my left after cancer at 3 years old. I shoot lefty and it really doesn't matter. I miss both ways equally. grin

I meant in my right eye I have peripheral vision only.

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
Generally speaking most right hand shooters shoot better on birds left to right bc they do not have to look across the barrel. Most left hand shooters shoot more accurately right to left for the same reason.

Looking across thr barrel normally causes some obstruction that decreases accuracy.

I think you got that backwards. A right handed shooter, a left to right shot, target is on right side of barrel, so left eye is looking across the barrel, and you swing right through the target. Right to left shot, target is on left side of barrel, left eye is not looking accross the barrel. The right (dominant) eye is over the barrel, so it is never looking accross the barrel.

To your point about obstruction, I like to keep my gun down and let my eyes lock on target before I mount my gun (clay or birds), mount and swing is all one motion and ideally I pull the trigger when the gun hits my face.

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Its an interesting question, never thought about it, really do not know. I shoot right handed, swinging right to left feels more natural.

I think right handed shooters feel more natural swinging shotgun right to left because that is how you swing a baseball bat, or swing anything. Ping pong or tennis, right handed, right to left is an over hand swing normally a stronger swing, left to right is a back handed swing.

And you also have the obstruction thing going on as 2fly mentions.
Posted By: decook

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
Another option equally inaccurate!

I fall somewhere in between these

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 02:48 PM

I shoot right-handed, but for some reason, my swing through is smoother right to left. I'm not truly ambidextrous, but throw a ball with my left and shoot right-handed. When fishing, I primarily cast right-handed. That's probably the reason that even though I am shooting right-handed, my shot is a little better right to left rather than left to right which seems to be the norm for right-handed shooters.
Posted By: P_102

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

I think you got that backwards. A right handed shooter, a left to right shot, target is on right side of barrel, so left eye is looking across the barrel, and you swing right through the target. Right to left shot, target is on left side of barrel, left eye is not looking accross the barrel. The right (dominant) eye is over the barrel, so it is never looking accross the barrel.

To your point about obstruction, I like to keep my gun down and let my eyes lock on target before I mount my gun (clay or birds), mount and swing is all one motion and ideally I pull the trigger when the gun hits my face.

Guy, that is only the case if you’re swinging or mounting the gun with the barrel starting behind the target.

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by P_102

Guy, that is only the case if you’re swinging or mounting the gun with the barrel starting behind the target.

That's how most people shoot, swinging thru the target. The other method is called "sustained lead", that is a more challenging method. I really try not to think too much about all this, when I do I normally miss. As I said above, I do best with my gun down until my eyes are locked and focused on target, then mount and shoot, do this a lot and it becomes instinctive...
Posted By: P_102

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 03:32 PM

Well, it’s been proven many times that sustained lead is the most consistent and accurate method in shotgunning so that is what I go by.

As far as right to left shots, it’s more a question of stance to me. Imagine you are facing 12:00 (right handed shooter), getting your gun on a target coming from 3:00 is much more difficult than from 9:00.
Posted By: ElkOne

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 03:34 PM

Left to right, but if the angle is not there I can also shoot right to left, just not as accurate.

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 04:50 PM

Well, it’s been proven many times that sustained lead is the most consistent and accurate method in shotgunning so that is what I go by.

If you been shooting a long time and shoot a lot, you probably do a combination of both and do not think about it. As I said above, when the gun hits my face, proper lead is establish instinctively, and I pull the trigger. So not sure what method you call this.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

If you been shooting a long time and shoot a lot, you probably do a combination of both and do not think about it. As I said above, when the gun hits my face, proper lead is establish instinctively, and I pull the trigger. So not sure what method you call this.

About the same either way. I’m a lefty and hunt with right handers. They most always want me on the right side to clean up the left to right crossers. There are three common methods. Sustained lead and swing through have already been mentioned. Pull away is a third style. My shooting is a combination of the three dictated by situations. I’m with 102’s belief that sustained lead is the most consistent. I normally see the bird and the sight picture simultaneously. Moving with the bird, I mount to the sight picture and shoot when my mount hooks up. When shooting multiples, the second and third birds are usually shot with either swing through or pull away, depending on whether I am going back to the bird or going after it. Lead just happens without thought and I rarely notice bead or barrel.

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/09/21 11:44 PM

I like to use the “shoot-the-F’n-duck” method. JP actually taught me that method years ago, he might remember that story.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/11/21 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
Just curious if you shoot better on birds flying right to left or left to right, or are you equally accurate either way. I am better at acquiring my target on birds passing right to left.

My follow through is a lot better right to left. Right handed.
Posted By: Blank

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/11/21 04:06 AM

Right to left. I'm right eye dominant, but with extremely poor vision in it, due to an injury. I suck at pass shooting, but do better on straight away birds like quail or pheasant.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/11/21 05:29 AM

Provided I have proper foot placement, correct mounting of the shotgun, and proper form for the follow though, I don't think it matters for me. When I worked at a skeet range I spent hours every night after work shooting for fun. If I had a station I did not do well I would spend hours improving that shot. That was a long time ago, but I am pretty sure I never found myself working on a right vs left shot from station 4. To the best of my memory I think I was always pretty equal on accuracy with both birds at that dead center station. Now in a hunting situation where one of those three are impossible because I am fixed sitting in a kayak and can't turn at the waste or change my angle to the bird, standing in a cramped blind and can't change my stance, the bird is climbing at a high angle and I can't get an ideal mount, or I'm just tired with poor muscle memory, etc. Then in those less than ideal shooting positions, poor form, and a bad mount, I'm thinking as a right handed shooter I probably shoot better with a right to left bird as it gives me a longer follow though to work with. Honestly I have never noticed. Now birds coming straight at me. That was one I have had to go back and work on more than once in my life.
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/11/21 05:50 PM

All I know is the more you think about your shooting and the more you try to force it the worse you'll shoot

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/11/21 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by huntwest

My follow through is a lot better right to left. Right handed.

At least I'm not the only one.

laugh
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/14/21 10:38 PM

Right to left for me.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/14/21 10:57 PM

Right to left for me. I write left handed, but shoot, swing a bat, and a golf club right handed. Can use hand tools with either hand.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/14/21 11:08 PM

I’m right handed but haven’t noticed much difference either way.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/15/21 06:03 AM

I'm cross eyed dominant so shoot right but do everything else left. Left to right from 270 degrees to 360. Right to left from 90 to about 290.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/15/21 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

No doubt - always been that way even at trap and skeet since I was a kid
Posted By: claypool

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/16/21 04:17 AM

Right to left.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/16/21 02:40 PM

Right to left for me. Right handed.

The harder/quicker the shot the better I shoot. Big fat greenheads floating into the decoys almost as if they're glued in place? Wiff. Wiff. and Wiff.....teal zooming by at 1,000 mph? Dead. hammer

Overthinking the easy shots are my problem - regardless of the direction.
Posted By: OTL91

Re: left to right or right to left - 12/16/21 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cochise
Right to left for me. Right handed.

The harder/quicker the shot the better I shoot. Big fat greenheads floating into the decoys almost as if they're glued in place? Wiff. Wiff. and Wiff.....teal zooming by at 1,000 mph? Dead. hammer

Overthinking the easy shots are my problem - regardless of the direction.

You and me both... a group of dirty nasty ringnecks decoying and I will shoot a triple... nice January mallard drake back pedaling... I might as well not shoot.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: left to right or right to left - 01/06/22 11:53 PM

I was left handed as a kid, injured wrist, became right handed, and confused.... bat both ways, throw Right, golf right, shoot pool left, eat left handed; and eye dominance switches on me, even during a swing, so I close one eye....

as for the pass shooting, I don't know that it matters much to me, never thought about it much...

I will say the ones I shoot the best are the surprise quick shots, and the ones I have to watch fly for 90 seconds before shooting, are usually safe.... yes, I know that is mental
Posted By: wal1809

Re: left to right or right to left - 01/07/22 03:29 PM

I shoot right-handed, but for some reason, my swing through is smoother right to left. I'm not truly ambidextrous, but throw a ball with my left and shoot right-handed. When fishing, I primarily cast right-handed. That's probably the reason that even though I am shooting right-handed, my shot is a little better right to left rather than left to right which seems to be the norm for right-handed shooters.

I am the same way, right handed, right eye dominant and shoot best right to left. Vice versa, not so great for me.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: left to right or right to left - 01/11/22 02:18 AM

I am lefty, doesn’t matter, but pushing thru a shot vs pulling is more natural. So for righty - left to right.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum