Texas Hunting Forum

what kind ducks to expect in colorado city.

Posted By: My Time to Hunt

what kind ducks to expect in colorado city. - 10/19/21 08:15 PM

Was wondering what kind of ducks to expect in Colorado city. The lake is near full for the first time in a long time and the water has pushed up into our place and flooded some mesquites trees.

Re: what kind ducks to expect in colorado city. - 10/22/21 01:31 PM

Crickets
Posted By: cleboje

Re: what kind ducks to expect in colorado city. - 10/22/21 04:53 PM

Coots...Lots and Lots...of...Coots...!
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: what kind ducks to expect in colorado city. - 10/22/21 09:26 PM

Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Pintail, Mallard. My guess would be they would be transient birds, unless you had really big water to roost them around, and plenty of food.
Posted By: Guy

Re: what kind ducks to expect in colorado city. - 10/23/21 01:51 AM

Never know until you check it out. But posts like this will just send barneys to your lake. But if your water is private, sending barneys to your public lake could help you.
Posted By: SRPI89

Re: what kind ducks to expect in colorado city. - 10/26/21 12:58 AM

I’ve got some dirt in Howard Co. NW of you. I get a lot of pintails, teal and gaddys early in the season. I have one spring on my place that floods an area the size of a basketball court. I’ve seen it before where it was so full of mallards you couldn’t see the water.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: what kind ducks to expect in colorado city. - 10/26/21 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by goosebuster
Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Pintail, Mallard. My guess would be they would be transient birds, unless you had really big water to roost them around, and plenty of food.

Let me add that there's been a big movement of ducks in the last couple of weeks, every pond on the ranch has ducks on it and one in particular had I'm guessing close to a thousand. Never seen that many in over 25 years.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: what kind ducks to expect in colorado city. - 10/26/21 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by SRPI89
I’ve got some dirt in Howard Co. NW of you. I get a lot of pintails, teal and gaddys early in the season. I have one spring on my place that floods an area the size of a basketball court. I’ve seen it before where it was so full of mallards you couldn’t see the water.

Back in 70's me and buddy used to hunt ponds on several places in that area, we'd jump shoot them.
Posted By: Aggiedukmaster

Re: what kind ducks to expect in colorado city. - 10/27/21 04:54 PM

I used to work Mitchell Co. for about 7 yrs. and I remember seeing A lot of Gadwall, Teal, Widgeon & Ringnecks (maybe a few spoonies too) on the ponds out there. I am sure a few mallards will show up (when it gets cold enough to push them down).
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: what kind ducks to expect in colorado city. - 10/27/21 09:30 PM

Probably not many mallards…

Teal, spoonies, wigeon, gadwall, ringers most likely

Could see some cinnamon teal!

Re: what kind ducks to expect in colorado city. - 11/15/21 03:10 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. We are north of Lake Colorado City and we have plenty of water now that we had a big rain in July. Wasn't able to go the past weekend but will be up there this weekend.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum