Texas Hunting Forum

GHG decoys

Posted By: dk2429

GHG decoys - 10/05/21 12:44 PM

Are today’s GHG decoys good? I already ordered a dozen blue wing and they seem to be nice… I need to get some wigeon, pintail, and blue bill. The Higdon pintail and wigeon are a joke IMO, so I’d be getting them all GHG

I’ve just read around on here a few people saying how GHG dekes aren’t what they used to be. Just wanna know y’all’s thoughts before I order 3 dozen more! All the ones I’ve been/am ordering are the pro grade/life size series

https://www.wingsupply.com/avery-ghg-pro-grade-wigeon-decoys-pk-6.html

https://www.wingsupply.com/avery-ghg-life-size-pintail-decoys-pk-6.html

https://www.wingsupply.com/avery-ghg-life-size-blue-bill-decoys-pk-6.html
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: GHG decoys - 10/05/21 01:07 PM

I have some, they are a few years old (2-3 years). I like them and have had no issues with them. they get hunted about 30 days a season. I would buy more if I needed them.
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: GHG decoys - 10/05/21 01:44 PM

No problem with them really, GHG and Avian X would be my only buys.

Re: GHG decoys - 10/05/21 02:00 PM

Right on, thanks guys

Like I said, the blue wing I got in last week seem to be nice, but I haven’t hunted them yet. Wanted to get some seasoned input on them before I start ordering multiple dozens of them

All of them are going on Heberts Custom rigs out of Louisiana. Awesome rigs, steel coated cable. Don’t gotta waste money on Lifetime anymore
Posted By: 68A

Re: GHG decoys - 10/05/21 02:25 PM

I’ve got a few dozen of various species both GHG and Avian X. The paint job on the Avian X is a bit better IMO but I have no issues buying GHG, at all. Can usually find deals at the end of season.

Re: GHG decoys - 10/05/21 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by 68A
I’ve got a few dozen of various species both GHG and Avian X. The paint job on the Avian X is a bit better IMO but I have no issues buying GHG, at all. Can usually find deals at the end of season.

Hell they are on Wing Supply for a good discount, that’s where I’m buying all of them

I’m retiring all my old flambeaus and cheap rigs from when I first started and outfitting with all new dekes and steel cable rigs

I think I’m gonna repaint all my old flambeau mallards to redheads though for the diver hunts, that way I’m not pulling out cash for 10 dozen redhead dekes

I do already have a dozen Higdon redheads that I bought last year on Lifetime rigs.. the Higdons are okay, but I’d rather not buy more unless I have to

Re: GHG decoys - 10/05/21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
Originally Posted by 68A

Hell they are on Wing Supply for a good discount, that’s where I’m buying all of them

I’m retiring all my old flambeaus and cheap rigs from when I first started and outfitting with all new dekes and steel cable rigs

I think I’m gonna repaint all my old flambeau mallards to redheads though for the diver hunts, that way I’m not pulling out cash for 10 dozen redhead dekes

I do already have a dozen Higdon redheads that I bought last year on Lifetime rigs.. the Higdons are okay, but I’d rather not buy more unless I have to

Funny you mention you’re old flambeaus. I think there’s an opinion of “decoy snobbery” among some people. I have a friend that now guides for a very large operation down south. A couple years ago we were invited to hunt at this place as more or less of a “will this be a good fit” trip. We were setup to hunt with the most senior guide. With the property size, location and conditions, it’s not uncommon for them to run 10 dozen or more decoys on a given hunt. It made me chuckle a little bit as we were setting the spread for our first hunt, the vast majority of his decoys were a mixture of old, beat up game winners and flambeaus. Not saying quality decoys don’t have their place, after all we don’t all hunt the same range conditions they do but, I’m sure you get the point.

Re: GHG decoys - 10/05/21 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 68A
Originally Posted by 68A

Funny you mention you’re old flambeaus. I think there’s an opinion of “decoy snobbery” among some people. I have a friend that now guides for a very large operation down south. A couple years ago we were invited to hunt at this place as more or less of a “will this be a good fit” trip. We were setup to hunt with the most senior guide. With the property size, location and conditions, it’s not uncommon for them to run 10 dozen or more decoys on a given hunt. It made me chuckle a little bit as we were setting the spread for our first hunt, the vast majority of his decoys were a mixture of old, beat up game winners and flambeaus. Not saying quality decoys don’t have their place, after all we don’t all hunt the same range conditions they do but, I’m sure you get the point.

Hunting 2 seasons with my old flambeaus, I’ve killed many of birds over them.

I hunt the coast though and about 80% of them are mallards, and I feel like hurts my success to an extent considering there’s no mallards down here.

Not only that, but it’s really just peace of mind thing I guess. I like having nice stuff when it comes to things I enjoy doing. When I first started out I got all cheap old flambeaus, some were given to me, some I got for like $25 for 3-4 dozen. All rigged up with random weights I could find on fishing line thrown in a bag.

now that I know for a fact I have a passion for waterfowl hunting and plan to continue on with it for years to come, I’m fine with dishing out big money on nice quality gear. Never understood the ideology of just unloading money on all the nicest decoys and guns for someone’s first season not knowing if they’re gonna continue on with it. I’m at that point now so now it’s time to get nice chit laugh. Already have the gun though

Re: GHG decoys - 10/05/21 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 68A
Originally Posted by 68A

Hunting 2 seasons with my old flambeaus, I’ve killed many of birds over them.

I hunt the coast though and about 80% of them are mallards, and I feel like hurts my success to an extent considering there’s no mallards down here.

Not only that, but it’s really just peace of mind thing I guess. I like having nice stuff when it comes to things I enjoy doing. When I first started out I got all cheap old flambeaus, some were given to me, some I got for like $25 for 3-4 dozen. All rigged up with random weights I could find on fishing line thrown in a bag.

now that I know for a fact I have a passion for waterfowl hunting and plan to continue on with it for years to come, I’m fine with dishing out big money on nice quality gear. Never understood the ideology of just unloading money on all the nicest decoys and guns for someone’s first season not knowing if they’re gonna continue on with it. I’m at that point now so now it’s time to get nice chit laugh. Already have the gun though

Understand completely. I think everyone that has the financial means goes through that phase. Anyhow, best of luck this season.
Posted By: kindall

Re: GHG decoys - 10/05/21 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by 68A
Originally Posted by 68A

If you saw how many decoys get shot by customers every season. It’s pretty understandable why they patch them up, instead of replacing them.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: GHG decoys - 10/06/21 04:33 PM

GHG makes great decoys. Especially their Oversized decoys. (only ones Ill buy) They've even got into the flocked market now. Some of my decoys are going on 5+ season and still look great.
Posted By: Streater

Re: GHG decoys - 10/07/21 05:20 PM

The Pro Grade XDs are fantastic. They use the soft plastic so the paint doesn't chip. I think they even have foam filled for all you "guides" who's clients shoot up decoys. smile
Posted By: Astater

Re: GHG decoys - 10/12/21 07:28 PM

I'm a huge fan of the soft plastic/rubbery decoys. I'm on season 4 of my first Avian X deeks and they're still in great shape.

Anyone tried the Academy soft deeks? I'm probably going to give those a shot this season or next...
Posted By: OTL91

Re: GHG decoys - 10/13/21 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Astater
I'm a huge fan of the soft plastic/rubbery decoys. I'm on season 4 of my first Avian X deeks and they're still in great shape.

Anyone tried the Academy soft deeks? I'm probably going to give those a shot this season or next...

Would also like to know how they hold up.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: GHG decoys - 10/13/21 04:21 PM

If you want longevity, nothing compares to G&H.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: GHG decoys - 10/13/21 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

Not so fast Smokey! G an H are tough as a anvil and American made. All other decoys are Chinese junk and I don't mean a type of boat. They can handle Hogman and GR Elliot abuse.

Re: GHG decoys - 10/13/21 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by wal1809

Not so fast Smokey! G an H are tough as a anvil and American made. All other decoys are Chinese junk and I don't mean a type of boat. They can handle Hogman and GR Elliot abuse.

I think we are saying the same thing.

Re: GHG decoys - 10/14/21 11:00 AM

I stand 100 % corrected. Why I read GHG or assumed GHG is beyond my recollection. In any case I am glad to see another American made fan. I'll buy you a beer the next time we meet.
Posted By: tdogg

Re: GHG decoys - 10/14/21 01:47 PM

Those are the only decoys I run. I've been hunting over some of them for 15+ years and are still in good shape. They are also extremely light if you have to walk in or run one of those lawn mower engines on your boat and can barely plain out. If I can keep Guy and Gdogg from water swatting in the spread I shouldn't have to buy another decoy for a while.

Re: GHG decoys - 10/14/21 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by tdogg

Those are the only decoys I run. I've been hunting over some of them for 15+ years and are still in good shape. They are also extremely light if you have to walk in or run one of those lawn mower engines on your boat and can barely plain out. If I can keep Guy and Gdogg from water swatting in the spread I shouldn't have to buy another decoy for a while.

Put Guy, Gdogg, Hogman and Gr Elliot in the same blind and you won't have a decoy left to pick up. Probably the only time I'd be glad to run Chinese made crap decoys.
Posted By: Guy

Re: GHG decoys - 10/14/21 02:27 PM

Bought my first set of G&H 10 years ago they still look like the day I got them. You can take them to the car wash and clean them good, that paint will not come off. On about half of mine, I let the sand out of the keel and small fish weights, very light weight decoys when you do this, great for walkin hunting and also small boats.

I want to get back into walkin hunting this season.
Posted By: takemking

Re: GHG decoys - 10/14/21 02:28 PM

GHG is all I run. I've got some I've had 10 years now, heavily hunting coastal marsh almost exclusively, and they still look great.

Re: GHG decoys - 10/14/21 06:36 PM

The funny thing is they'd shoot 25 decoys and only have 10 spoonies to show for it . Makes sense now why I always got decoys for Christmas as a kid.

I thought I would be safe this year and only throw out 12 decoys and 2 mojos for teal hunting. I'll give it to Gdogg he didn't shoot my decoys but he did smack my new mojo pretty well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: GHG decoys - 10/14/21 09:31 PM

I stand 100 % corrected. Why I read GHG or assumed GHG is beyond my recollection. In any case I am glad to see another American made fan. I'll buy you a beer the next time we meet.

Second round is on me.
cheers
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: GHG decoys - 10/22/21 01:56 AM

If you want good decoys, that can't be sunk, and are the lightest on the market, and probably move more than any other decoy, look at lifetime. I really like mine. I also have the divebomb floaters, good looking decoy too.

Re: GHG decoys - 10/22/21 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
If you want good decoys, that can't be sunk, and are the lightest on the market, and probably move more than any other decoy, look at lifetime. I really like mine. I also have the divebomb floaters, good looking decoy too.

Thank you for your review. They look great, but I have been hesitant to pull the trigger. What I have read, though, is that you almost need to power wash them as mud really sticks to the decoy more so than the regular plastic. Have you had a problem with this?
Posted By: OTL91

Re: GHG decoys - 10/22/21 01:29 PM

I was tired of dealing with paint and convinced my wifes cousin that we shoot put roofing tar on all of our decoys. Will let you know how it works.... it's not like there are going to be any ducks this year anyways.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: GHG decoys - 10/22/21 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Streater
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

Thank you for your review. They look great, but I have been hesitant to pull the trigger. What I have read, though, is that you almost need to power wash them as mud really sticks to the decoy more so than the regular plastic. Have you had a problem with this?

I haven't had any problems with mud. It's literally the same material as crocs, so they clean easier to me than regular decoys actually.

Re: GHG decoys - 10/25/21 08:00 PM

Took this pic the past weekend. The top decoy is a 2005 G&H the bottom is a 2021. That decoy has been hunted over hundreds of times through all sorts of terrain and looks pretty dang close to the day I got it. [Linked Image]

Re: GHG decoys - 11/05/21 12:50 AM

I've actually got a half dozen G&H pintail. They are in terrible condition. I must have gotten the defective ones roflmao
Posted By: nacgoat08

Re: GHG decoys - 11/09/21 03:45 PM

I have about 8dz GHG dekes that have anywhere from 7-11 seasons on them and are still going strong. Had a few that cracked at the keel, but patched them and put them back in the rotation. I store them in the slotted bags and the paint schemes still look as good as the day I unboxed them, with only minor wear and tear. Definitely some personal preference, but would have no issue recommending GHG.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: GHG decoys - 11/09/21 03:53 PM

I've actually got a half dozen G&H pintail. They are in terrible condition. I must have gotten the defective ones roflmao

Good news is. You send g&h a decoy with paint defect they’ll replace it regardless of age.

Re: GHG decoys - 11/09/21 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by tdogg

Took this pic the past weekend. The top decoy is a 2005 G&H the bottom is a 2021. That decoy has been hunted over hundreds of times through all sorts of terrain and looks pretty dang close to the day I got it. [Linked Image]

These look like cartoon ducks.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: GHG decoys - 11/09/21 04:43 PM

The idea that decoys have to be flocked and pretty as a painting is foolish at best. I wish Cherokee sport would come back with those chinky inflatables. I’ve piled them up using those things.
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: GHG decoys - 11/09/21 06:57 PM

I still have quite a few of those inflatable decoys. I thought they were the shiz, but really they aren't much lighter than normal decoys. I haven't hunted over them in ages.

Re: GHG decoys - 11/10/21 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
The idea that decoys have to be flocked and pretty as a painting is foolish at best. I wish Cherokee sport would come back with those chinky inflatables. I’ve piled them up using those things.

I 1000010% agree! I swear just for fun I am going to take a bunch of 2 liter coke bottles, paint some black and some gray with two big white dots on the side and hunt them. So when somebody says decoys arent realistic enough, I'll lay down the schmack down video on them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum