Texas Hunting Forum

Dove Hunting Public Land?

Posted By: EcKo

Dove Hunting Public Land? - 09/16/21 04:32 PM

Anyone know of any half decent spots for dove hunting on public land in either south or central. Preferably something 4 hours or less from Houston. My buddy wants to go to Chaparral but I am not convinced that is worth it.
Posted By: cleboje

Re: Dove Hunting Public Land? - 09/16/21 08:16 PM

It really depends if TPWD has food crops planted that attract dove...find the food source and the dove will be there...No food = No dove.

That WMA is a long way from Houston, but on the positive side, it could have a good bird population...best tip is to call the WMA manager to see what he can tell you about their management efforts.

Re: Dove Hunting Public Land? - 09/16/21 08:35 PM

Yeah I called and they said Chaparral was doing a 5 dove per person average. I have made that drive before to deer hunt there and it was worth it. But I don’t see it being worth the drive for some dove hunting that I won’t limit out on.
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Dove Hunting Public Land? - 09/16/21 08:58 PM

Find you a good dove outfitter in the area, most are $100 a day/gun and will normally put you on a limit of birds if you can shoot.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Dove Hunting Public Land? - 09/16/21 10:14 PM

Where I live in Eddy Tx. there is a public dove hunting area about 260 acres. Its a youth/adult place meaning you have to have a kid with you to hunt it. I hardly ever see anyone out there. If I didn't have a place to hunt I would be all over this.

Re: Dove Hunting Public Land? - 09/16/21 10:51 PM

I been looking at a few places near Cameron. I have not been in that area lately but on satellite it shows a lot of farm land around the spots I have been looking at. Anyone have a idea what they grow in that area or is it just hay growing
Posted By: DpdAlan

Re: Dove Hunting Public Land? - 09/17/21 01:57 AM

I was down there last week and that field was just covered in corn that had been recently harvested. Stalks were rolled. Saw zero birds.
Posted By: Whiptail

Re: Dove Hunting Public Land? - 09/17/21 02:12 AM

20 years ago I would frequently shoot a limit of doves on Chaparral and now I'm lucky if I get five. I don't know what's going on but it's not good.
Posted By: cleboje

Re: Dove Hunting Public Land? - 09/17/21 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by OlsonEr1
Yeah I called and they said Chaparral was doing a 5 dove per person average. I have made that drive before to deer hunt there and it was worth it. But I don’t see it being worth the drive for some dove hunting that I won’t limit out on.

Well, then it’s time to check out the Chronicle classified and start calling local bird outfitters…last time I checked, there were a bunch on the east and west side of town…you can spend the money that you will save on gas and hunt local.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Dove Hunting Public Land? - 09/17/21 02:42 AM

Good luck finding a Texas public dove hunting spot you can limit out, especially on a hunting forum.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Dove Hunting Public Land? - 09/17/21 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Guy

Good luck finding a Texas public dove hunting spot you can limit out, especially on a hunting forum.

Good luck finding a parking spot at a public dove hunting area,
much less a place to park your chair and be able to safely point
your shotgun. Don't forget to bring a rake to clean yourself a
spot amongst the spent shells and empty drink containers
and candy wrappers and butts
Posted By: DpdAlan

Re: Dove Hunting Public Land? - 10/18/21 03:30 PM

Has anybody been to this corn field lately? wondered if it was plowed under.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Dove Hunting Public Land? - 10/19/21 01:52 PM

Doves are now feeding on crushed pecans in the roads in my area.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum