Texas Hunting Forum

Dove on the sunflowers… looking good

Posted By: shalor

Dove on the sunflowers… looking good - 08/25/21 01:03 AM

Went and checked out my sunflower field today. I only saw about 75 to 100 sitting in the trees and very few in the field when I drove around the 10 acre field about 515. Was thinking they were not coming into the field very good. Sat and watched from 5:30 to 5:45 and watched wave after wave coming in. Got me pretty excited. Interesting, they were not landing in my shredded strips very much. Most were just landing in the standing sunflowers. Many landing on top of the actual sunflowers. I probably only shredded 10 to 15% of the field because I had so many seeds in my eyes in 40 minutes time shredding, probably going to shred a little more before the season starts. We really don’t have many dove in our area, I was pretty shocked this project is working that good so far. Granted I understand they could still leave before the season starts. But they look pretty fat and happy. Going to try to not hunt them very often(1-2 to times per week) with Max six shooters because I don’t think they have many reinforcements coming until we get some migration…In late September or October. And we didn’t get much of that the last three years. Five years ago I would’ve felt good about more new birds coming in every week. Now, not so much.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Dove on the sunflowers… looking good - 08/25/21 11:35 AM

Sounds like you're ready to go. Glad you got some birds. up
Posted By: cleboje

Re: Dove on the sunflowers… looking good - 08/25/21 11:38 AM

Morning dove like to land and feed on the ground...Whitewing (WW) dove will land on the sunflower heads and/or land on the ground to feed....but I have seen many, many WW prefer to land directly on the head of the sunflower and pick out the seeds...

Re: Dove on the sunflowers… looking good - 08/25/21 06:58 PM

Well, I didn’t know a mourning dove would land straight on top of a sunflower but I witnessed it with my own eyes. And these were definitely not white wings. Most of them landed on the ground, but some of them were definitely landing on the sunflowers.
Posted By: bjh

Re: Dove on the sunflowers… looking good - 08/25/21 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by shalor
Well, I didn’t know a mourning dove would land straight on top of a sunflower but I witnessed it with my own eyes. And these were definitely not white wings. Most of them landed on the ground, but some of them were definitely landing on the sunflowers.

Lookouts!!!!!
Posted By: booskay

Re: Dove on the sunflowers… looking good - 08/25/21 08:42 PM

Was this in Northern Alabama ???
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Dove on the sunflowers… looking good - 08/25/21 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by shalor

I’ve seen dove land on top of the large commercial sunflowers in a field outside of Anson.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Dove on the sunflowers… looking good - 08/26/21 02:48 PM

Home birds, they'll stay put till you go to shootin' em up

Re: Dove on the sunflowers… looking good - 08/27/21 02:09 AM

This is in Central Texas.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum