Texas Hunting Forum

Wood Duck Question

Posted By: Ol Thumper

Wood Duck Question - 08/16/21 08:30 PM

Are wood ducks a popular species to hunt with mallards as well? I’m not a duck hunter but I’m tossing a new idea around for late in the season options.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Wood Duck Question - 08/16/21 09:48 PM

Sort of depends on where you are hunting. When my family had our place outside of Hawkins there was a nice piece of flooded timber and I would hunt mallards and woodies together all the time.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Wood Duck Question - 08/16/21 10:04 PM

I hunt wood ducks more than any other duck these days due to what I have private access to. The creek I hunt in Young county they are plentiful early season and the population then increases while the pecans and acorns are falling. We almost never see mallards in the creek with the wood ducks for some reason though mallards are usually present in the stock tanks around the same area. The wood ducks on our place are there much of the year, but after most of the acorns are gone, they all but vanish by late season and don't come back until spring. Like Hunt Dog says, just depends on the location I think.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Wood Duck Question - 08/16/21 10:15 PM

I’ve got roughly a 30 acre slough with flooded timber that’s covered up in woodies and mallards along with god knows what all the others are that’s almost within rock throwing distance to the Red River. It’s never been hunted since we’ve owned it and I’m thinking about offering it up to a couple guys in exchange for doing some grunt work like helping fill feeders, move stands etc etc but I didn’t know if it would be worth it or not to anyone. Just brainstorming I guess,
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Wood Duck Question - 08/16/21 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I’ve got roughly a 30 acre slough with flooded timber that’s covered up in woodies and mallards along with god knows what all the others are that’s almost within rock throwing distance to the Red River. It’s never been hunted since we’ve owned it and I’m thinking about offering it up to a couple guys in exchange for doing some grunt work like helping fill feeders, move stands etc etc but I didn’t know if it would be worth it or not to anyone. Just brainstorming I guess,

The place I hunt hogs in east texas is that kind of arrangement and great for me being retired. I just spent a weekend doing front end loader tractor work to repair a road, cutting up a giant log blocking a bridge, must come to kill hogs at short notice on occasion, etc. It is a rare opportunity to find these days with most landowners just wanting big $$$ for hunting rights and horror stories of hunters who abused agreements like that. That said, I predict your pm inbox is about to get flooded. grin
Posted By: Guy

Re: Wood Duck Question - 08/16/21 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Are wood ducks a popular species to hunt with mallards as well? I’m not a duck hunter but I’m tossing a new idea around for late in the season options.

Absolutely. They make a great mallard kicker limit. I would rather have a pintail kicker, but wood duck comes 2nd.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum