Texas Hunting Forum

Clay County Complex

Posted By: Danny_DeerVito

Clay County Complex - 08/04/21 08:17 PM

Anyone have experience or opinions about the properties in this group of public land? Just recently moved out NW of dfw and curious if it’s worth my time at all to take a trip out there to scout dove and possibly waterfowl later on.
Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Clay County Complex - 08/05/21 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Danny_DeerVito
Anyone have experience or opinions about the properties in this group of public land? Just recently moved out NW of dfw and curious if it’s worth my time at all to take a trip out there to scout dove and possibly waterfowl later on.
Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I would never have been there because it also has a no dogs rule on that one, but I will still give you my two cents. I looked in the book and there is no waterfowl hunting there, only dove. Dove season does include the late season at least. It is probably going to be crowded opening weekend being fairly close to DFW. It may or may not be worth hunting after the first weekend or late season though. Before going out there I would look at the most current and historical images in google earth to see what is actually there on the ground. It has a note about not bothering the sheep dogs, so I would want to make sure it's not just a bunch of barren overgrazed sheep pasture. If you live near there, just go look at it. If it looks like the tanks hold water and we have an extended period without rain, no matter what the land looks like you might could get a good late season water hole dove hunt or two after most of the weekend warrior dove hunters have moved on to something else.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum