Texas Hunting Forum

Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio

Posted By: William pitts

Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio - 07/05/21 02:42 PM

Does anyone know how crowded these two areas are for dove huntinf?
Posted By: cleboje

Re: Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio - 07/06/21 11:48 AM

I went on opening day and 1/2 of San Antonio was out there...sounded like a war zone and even the chi-chi birds were not safe...if you like the circus, this is the place...

Re: Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio - 07/06/21 01:47 PM

Ok thanks for the clarification. That’s what I figured would happen. I was just hoping it wasn’t that way. I won’t be going, I wanted a safe quote place to just get out and hunt away from others. Thanks again for the information

Re: Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio - 07/06/21 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by William pitts
Ok thanks for the clarification. That’s what I figured would happen. I was just hoping it wasn’t that way. I won’t be going, I wanted a safe quote place to just get out and hunt away from others. Thanks again for the information

To get to a place that meets your criteria, you should be willing to drive 2-3 hours into the middle of nowhere...and then be prepared to hunt with locals who live in the middle of nowhere...but at least its less crowded when you are in the middle of nowhere...

Re: Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio - 07/06/21 04:44 PM

I guess I got spoiled hunting near bossier city, because it was not that way up there. Thanks again for the info
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio - 07/06/21 10:16 PM

How do you find the no where spots. Wanting to go dove hunting this year for the first time in about 5 years.

Re: Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio - 07/07/21 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by spacejunkie
How do you find the no where spots. Wanting to go dove hunting this year for the first time in about 5 years.

It's not that hard to find them....but it takes a lot of scouting on your part...time/gas/miles invested to check out different locations...it's like duck hunting...you gotta invest to get some return.

Re: Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio - 07/07/21 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by spacejunkie

It's not that hard to find them....but it takes a lot of scouting on your part...time/gas/miles invested to check out different locations...it's like duck hunting...you gotta invest to get some return.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio - 07/08/21 02:09 AM

I’m finally retired so time and driving are no problem. Is there a list posted somewhere to point to give me a starting place?

Re: Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio - 07/08/21 01:10 PM

The TPWD Type II permit for a starting point...another good source is your local GW...they know where to point you.
Posted By: TOO

Re: Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio - 07/08/21 04:20 PM

Cleb knows his stuff, good advice. When birds are there, the hunters will be there. No birds, no crowds.

Look at the TPWD public hunts as mentioned.

Years past some the land down near Dilley, south of Kingsville, Alice, Daughtery, the Chap, etc were marginally managed for dove, some planting & cultivating. They also had some lands outside of NB & San Marcos, but the 2021-2022 map booklet download on the TPWD site shows about the same places as 2020.

Close to SA, you'll not find cheap and not crowded on public lands. You can find cheap & crowded private land hunts all along 16 & all around of the edge of town, some as little as $30-$40 a gun. Mostly pass shooting and crowded. Lots of guys get limits on the first days when the WW aren't educated.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio - 07/08/21 06:21 PM

One positive note on the south side you will be glad you have a shotgun.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio - 07/08/21 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
One positive note on the south side you will be glad you have a shotgun.

roflmao
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio - 07/08/21 09:06 PM

Where's your southside pride Baby? God's country...Ese. Situational awareness is key. up
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Lone star pass/somerset road public land near San antonio - 07/08/21 09:24 PM

again - roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum