Posted By: elvisp_bucks

when to shred sunflower field? - 06/29/21 06:32 PM

When do the experts recommend?
Posted By: Stompy

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 06/29/21 07:43 PM

13th-20th of August.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 06/29/21 07:51 PM

^^^ To the OP, nobody here knows more about sunflower fields than Stompy.

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 06/29/21 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper

Kind words, Thanks. Been many many years of trial and error. Mother nature has a lot to do with it, my part is mainly timing.

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 06/30/21 12:03 AM

Do you shred it in phrases? Like shred 1/3 Aug 20, then the next 1/3, etc? Or do you shred it all at once?

thanks sir!!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 06/30/21 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Stompy
13th-20th of August.

Originally Posted by LarryCopper

up

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 06/30/21 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by elvisp_bucks
Do you shred it in phrases? Like shred 1/3 Aug 20, then the next 1/3, etc? Or do you shred it all at once?

thanks sir!!

I mow about 25% then. 3rd week of September another 20-25% just before the northern birds start showing up. 2nd week of October another 20-25%. I may save the last 25% till after the December split.

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 06/30/21 12:44 PM

Thank you very much
Posted By: shalor

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 07/19/21 12:08 PM

I went and checked on my sunflowers this week. A lot of them are starting to get ripe. And surprisingly there were quite a few dove hanging around the field already. We have not had very many birds in my county(Hamilton) [Linked Image]
the last few years so I’m not getting overly optimistic, but it was hard for me not to get excited after seeing that. My field is about 10 acres, and the sunflowers did amazing. I just planted them this year. Native sunflowers planted the way Stompy says to in January and lightly disced in on well prepared seed bed. They did great with all this rain. I also fertilized them pretty heavily. I mixed the fertilizer with the seed when I slung it. Now if I just have enough birds come in🤞🤞 Picture above is from early June. They got to about 6 to 8 feet and are now getting a ripe.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 07/19/21 12:51 PM

Awesome!
Posted By: ElkOne

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 07/19/21 01:33 PM

If things continue to work out, that could be a heck of a shoot !

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 07/19/21 02:05 PM

Good looking field Shalor, bet you'll have some birds this year.
Posted By: warrington

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 07/20/21 03:55 AM

we have about 15 acres, how wide do you cut your initial lanes, 40',
hex pattern or all in a horizontal pattern.

do you wait to cut until the majority of the yellow leafs fall off? I know some mature at different times.

We just disc up the group to have ours pop. how much fertilizer do you all put down per acre when you disc?
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 07/20/21 11:14 PM

Looks great

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 07/21/21 12:33 AM

Horizontal pattern, but either is fine. You're just putting seeds on the ground. If some flowers are yellow that's ok, they'll dry out and the seeds have already made. My lanes usually start out about 20-25' with about 40-50' between lanes. I test the soil for fertilizer but it's usually 60# per acre, and I only fertilize every other year.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 07/22/21 02:31 AM

13th-20th of August.
Posted By: Ricochet83

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 07/23/21 12:08 AM

Question for you guys. Is there anything you can apply to control the weeds this late in the game? If not what do y’all apply and when?

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 07/23/21 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ricochet83
Question for you guys. Is there anything you can apply to control the weeds this late in the game? If not what do y’all apply and when?

I don't do any weed control, I just let the weeds come in with the sunflowers.

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/06/21 01:44 AM

As stated I usually start around and no later than the 13th.
This year I'm starting on the 7th. No rain in the forecast and HOT, might as well get it done in the ac of the tractor.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/07/21 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ricochet83

Weeds are good. Johnson grass and Bermuda make it tough to find birds but don’t keep the birds away.
If you have any cows graze the fields after the sunflowers get about 4” tall. I graze mine all year here at the house.

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/11/21 09:52 PM

Is it bad to shred some strips before it rains? I was thinking about shredding tomorrow and looks like it’s going to rain on Sunday. I was thinking the seeds won’t sprout until spring? Thanks for your help Stompy!

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/11/21 10:38 PM

Go ahead and shred, I'm doing the same tomorrow and Friday. It won't really affect the seeds, what it will do is grow grass in your shredded lanes. Sometimes I have to shred over my lanes in October due to johnson grass.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/13/21 03:37 AM

In stages best in my opinion
Posted By: GeneralLefty

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/13/21 04:41 AM

Best hunt of my life was in South Texas in a sunflower field.

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/13/21 12:41 PM

Well, it’s been a while since I’ve shredded sunflowers. But I now remember it’s not very fun to shred 8 to 10 foot tall sunflowers in an open cab tractor. I’m going to take ski goggles next time. I had so much sunflower seed in my eyes even with wraparound sunglasses. But I got it done. And I saw probably 50 to 100 dove out there in the field already before shredding. Keeping my fingers crossed that they multiply.

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/13/21 12:45 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/13/21 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by shalor
Well, it’s been a while since I’ve shredded sunflowers. But I now remember it’s not very fun to shred 8 to 10 foot tall sunflowers in an open cab tractor. I’m going to take ski goggles next time. I had so much sunflower seed in my eyes even with wraparound sunglasses. But I got it done. And I saw probably 50 to 100 dove out there in the field already before shredding. Keeping my fingers crossed that they multiply.

Where are you located?
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/14/21 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Texas JB

up Best dove hunt of my life was near Concepcion. I took a guy from work fishing, and put him on his first keeper and first limit of redfish and his first limit of trout. In return he took me dove hunting on his family's ranch. Big shredded milo field with a big pond in the middle surrounded by trees. It was insane. You could literally not reload fast enough, it was non stop groups of 30 to 100 birds. A real barrel burner.

Fast forward 24 yrs, and my oldest Son is now married to his daughter and they made us Grandpas LOL. It's a small world.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/14/21 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by Texas JB

up Best dove hunt of my life was near Concepcion. I took a guy from work fishing, and put him on his first keeper and first limit of redfish and his first limit of trout. In return he took me dove hunting on his family's ranch. Big shredded milo field with a big pond in the middle surrounded by trees. It was insane. You could literally not reload fast enough, it was non stop groups of 30 to 100 birds. A real barrel burner.

Fast forward 24 yrs, and my oldest Son is now married to his daughter and they made us Grandpas LOL. It's a small world.

We did the special white wing zone last year in Uvalde opening weekend next to a sunflower field, the hunting wasn't as good as being on the field but damn those white wing would come from everywhere.

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/14/21 06:36 PM

Finished all my fields today, 1 hour before it started raining. Great timing, 257 acres done.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/14/21 11:46 PM

Finished all my fields today, 1 hour before it started raining. Great timing, 257 acres done.

Good deal. I know a tired hombre I bet!

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/15/21 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by bobcat1

Good deal. I know a tired hombre I bet!

Dang right, even took a nap after lunch, and I don't take naps. 1.1" of rain and we sure needed it.
I'm taking the day off tomorrow.

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/15/21 02:49 PM

Stompy to answer your question, I am in Hamilton County. We used to have lots of dove. Last three or four years has been terrible. Just a few isolated pockets. My place tends to be in one of those pockets but it’s still been really tough. Usually they would just come to my dad‘s wheatfields as he was sewing, but that doesn’t seem to work anymore.
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: when to shred sunflower field? - 08/17/21 02:08 AM

Just did about 50% of mine
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum