Texas Hunting Forum

Side-by-side for dove

Posted By: HTXdude123

Side-by-side for dove - 05/12/21 02:27 AM

Anyone here every shot a side-by-side for dove? If so, how much does it increase difficulty from a pump?
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/12/21 02:29 AM

Grew up using one. Still have a few of them and shoot them every year.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/12/21 02:37 AM

A good side-by-side is far better balanced than most pumps. The only down side is that you've only got two shots, so you have to make those count. Ask yourself this: how often do you fire a third shot?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/12/21 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by syncerus
A good side-by-side is far better balanced than most pumps. The only down side is that you've only got two shots, so you have to make those count. Ask yourself this: how often do you fire a third shot?

And how often is the third shot just wasted?
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/12/21 03:32 AM

I dove hunt with a CZ Bobwhite 28, it's a pleasure to shoot and quite effective.
Posted By: hawk

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/12/21 11:49 AM

I bought a CZ Bobwhite G2 20 gauge two years ago. I've since retired my 1100 20 gauge. It's a lot of gun for the money. I like it so much that I picked up one in 28 gauge yesterday. Lightweight in the field, swings good, shoots to poa, and I don't have to chase the empties.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/12/21 12:09 PM

Thats all y son has ever shot and wouldn't know what to do with single barrel. Still can't hit the ground in front of himself but he likes the Mdl 21, I shot a 2o gauge model 21 for long time but most of time I carry o/u 101 20 gauge.
Posted By: decook

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/12/21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by kmon1
Originally Posted by syncerus

And how often is the third shot just wasted?

For me, every time.
Posted By: Schat

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/12/21 03:12 PM

I agreed with decook,kmom1, & syncerus. I shot a Stoeger 28, or AYA 28 at times. Both the boys and wife shot S/S or O/U 20 or 28 gauges and really cut the cost of ammo and they feel it makes them a better shot. The wife really like the S/S Grulla 28 for the light weight in the gun and in the carry shells on hot afternoons.
Posted By: hawk

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/12/21 03:17 PM

I'm not the best shot in the world. But having only two rounds has made me better, and save $'s as well!
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/12/21 03:21 PM

Oooh, a 28 gauge Grulla ... pretty gun. It's hard not to like that!
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/12/21 03:22 PM

Been shooting a 20 ga. SxS Ithaca Skb on dove for 50 years.
Posted By: TxDiver

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/13/21 04:09 PM

I've hunted dove with my SKB 385 side-by-side for years and never had an issue with it being harder to shoot than other gun types. That said, I seem to shoot my best with a Browning over-under. Probably has to do more with the number of shells I run through it on sporting clays in the off season than any other factor.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/13/21 04:31 PM

My over & under stays at home and although I take my Wingmaster pump, I almost exclusively shoot my Beretta side by side. Even though I do not claim to be the best of shots, I have found the gun to be adequate as long as you practice with it a lil'. You can get used to almost anything.
Posted By: booskay

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/13/21 04:34 PM

Pick one shotgun that you like the most, get rid of the rest of your shotguns, your hit ratio will go way up, no matter what ga. or type of gun it is. I shoot ducks with my o/u 20 ga. and outshoot others shooting 3 shots out of their 12 ga.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/13/21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by booskay
Pick one shotgun that you like the most, get rid of the rest of your shotguns, your hit ratio will go way up, no matter what ga. or type of gun it is. I shoot ducks with my o/u 20 ga. and outshoot others shooting 3 shots out of their 12 ga.

I like it
Posted By: RayB

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/13/21 07:18 PM

IMHO as long as a shotgun fits no matter how many you have you should be able to hit what your shooting at. Besides, I have a gun safe, what's the use if it only holds one gun? laugh
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/14/21 02:01 PM

up
Posted By: RGVshooter

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/29/21 06:36 PM

I'm looking real hard at a CZ Drake and a CZ bobwhite in 20 gauge.

Help me. lol
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/29/21 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by RayB

IMHO as long as a shotgun fits no matter how many you have you should be able to hit what your shooting at. Besides, I have a gun safe, what's the use if it only holds one gun? laugh

Fit makes all the difference to me. If I can put it in my shoulder and see the whole bead and little to no rib, I know I can hit with that as long as it has some type of standard choke tube.

My very limited experience with wad stripping chokes (one choke), is they pattern good but don’t center the pattern well. You have to re-fit the gun and get used to what that looks like when you point it. My kicks high flyer throws way too low, the only choke I have that does that. But I can still hit clays with it, without changing my shims or trying to move my head around on the stock.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/29/21 07:18 PM

I would brag that I can borrow anyone’s shotgun, drink a case of beer and still get a limit if there’s 20 dove that fly by in range. But I don’t like to brag. roflmao
Posted By: RayB

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/29/21 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
I would brag that I can borrow anyone’s shotgun, drink a case of beer and still get a limit if there’s 20 dove that fly by in range. But I don’t like to brag. roflmao

In the words of Will Sonnet " no brag, just fact" of course you have to be old to remember who Will Sonnet is. roflmao
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/29/21 07:46 PM

In the words of Will Sonnet " no brag, just fact" of course you have to be old to remember who Will Sonnet is. roflmao

Define range... roflmao
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/29/21 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by RGVshooter
I'm looking real hard at a CZ Drake and a CZ bobwhite in 20 gauge.

Help me. lol

If you like the SXS the Bobwhite is a fun one. I have shot several and have its predecessor from Huglu, I shoot it much better than I did the Ruger relabel 20 I had for a bit.

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/29/21 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by HTXdude123
Anyone here every shot a side-by-side for dove? If so, how much does it increase difficulty from a pump?

My first shotgun was a pump. It requires you to pump for the next shot. All my other shotguns only require a trigger pull for the next shot. Shooting 3 times is silly.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/29/21 09:57 PM

I have three SXS shotguns. Stevens 16GA, BSA 20GA, and the newest was a retirement gift from work, a CZ Sharp-Tail in 20GA. I prefer the CZ for most Dove hunting now. Even over my semi autos. I think mentally or subconsciously some people will take more care with that second shot when they know there is not a third follow up shot to be had and actually end up with a better kill to shot ratio than they would with a pump or semi. Another benefit over a single barreled gun if the hunting situation benefits you to do so is it gives you the ability to use a different choke for each barrel or even a different load in the second barrel. Snipe hunting I will often have a CYL choke in my first barrel and a MOD in my second.
Posted By: leswad

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/30/21 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
My over & under stays at home and although I take my Wingmaster pump, I almost exclusively shoot my Beretta side by side. Even though I do not claim to be the best of shots, I have found the gun to be adequate as long as you practice with it a lil'. You can get used to almost anything.

I agree up

[Linked Image]
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/30/21 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by bobcat1

Define range... roflmao

Minute of Tree Limb.
Posted By: 218 Bee

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 05/30/21 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by HTXdude123

Without doubt, dove are my favorite wingshooting quarry. While I prefer quail when it comes to eating, dove will make you hone your shotgun skills considerably more. I've shot 'em with pumps, autos, OUs and SxSs...and from .410s to 12s. My current favorites are an Arrieta 12 bore I had made in 2005 and a Winchester 23 in 28.

Truth is, you can kill dove with just about anything (if you do your part). Shoot whatever makes you smile the most!

Mark

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 06/01/21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by 218 Bee
[Linked Image]

That's purty up
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 06/14/21 01:00 AM

I used to do most of my dove hunting with a BSS in 20 gauge with the straight pistol grip. Took a lot of birds with that gun. But I don't do near the bird shooting that I used to so I sold it off. Now I use a 12 ga pump for everything.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 06/14/21 01:23 PM

Beautiful guns sirn
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 06/25/21 07:33 PM

Back when I had a place to shoot dove, I used a side by side and could get off 4 shots quick enough to get a visit from the GW to check my shotgun for a plug. Last time was near De Kalb, Tx and he sure had a funny look on his face when he saw it was a double barrel. Get one that fits you and practice with it on some clay pigeons before season. Practice holding 2 extra shells in between your fingers on your left hand and doing reloads, you will catch on pretty quickly I bet.

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 06/25/21 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Back when I had a place to shoot dove, I used a side by side and could get off 4 shots quick enough to get a visit from the GW to check my shotgun for a plug. Last time was near De Kalb, Tx and he sure had a funny look on his face when he saw it was a double barrel. Get one that fits you and practice with it on some clay pigeons before season. Practice holding 2 extra shells in between your fingers on your left hand and doing reloads, you will catch on pretty quickly I bet.

Nice. I would have loved seeing the GW face when he saw your SXS.
Posted By: slow944

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 06/29/21 02:53 AM

I dove hunt with a little Franchi 20ga O/U. Gun weights less than 6lbs is a joy to carry all day in the field.
Posted By: The Bone

Re: Side-by-side for dove - 07/06/21 01:48 PM

Beautiful spanish sxs there!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum