Texas Hunting Forum

Maybe it wasn’t lead

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Maybe it wasn’t lead - 04/27/21 02:53 PM

That was killing the ESA protect Bald eagle that’s was eating ducks with lead in them... after all

Unfortunately, I’m Guessing we won’t be getting that non toxic changed.

https://www.wired.com/story/scientists-finally-identify-a-deadly-toxin-thats-been-killing-birds/
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 04/27/21 04:47 PM

"Minnesota has left the chat"
Posted By: Chaseh

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 04/27/21 06:31 PM

Thanks for posting this! Very interesting read.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 04/27/21 09:27 PM

Terrible

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 04/28/21 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chaseh
Thanks for posting this! Very interesting read.

It makes sense, invasive weeds have done a number on native populations of birds, and mammals.

Obviously it’s not definitive but it very informative piece. One more reason to be extra careful at the boat ramp.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 04/28/21 12:22 PM

Let's see if this gains any traction and wide spread reporting.

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 04/28/21 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Marc K
Let's see if this gains any traction and wide spread reporting.

I don’t think it will unfortunately, doesn’t fit narratives on the other side of the alley. But it would be nice to post it on signs, as the BE seems to have a higher value in people’s hearts, thus making boaters way more concerned about transferring to different water bodies.

Most hunters think we shoot non toxic because of metallic lead poisoning in ducks, that’s not correct. Lead shot had no significant population effects on ducks, but Metallic Lead is highly toxic to raptors specifically Bald Eagles who eat ducks. BEs where under ESA protection, USFG went with non toxic vs fighting litigation from avian advocates. Anti’s have went after a lot of deer hunting on public land using same agruement

Metallic lead in bullet/shot form isnt very dangerous to humans, in limited amounts

Posted By: garrett

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 04/28/21 07:41 PM

well hell yeah lead is deadly to raptors
Posted By: Eastxhuntr

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 04/29/21 05:22 PM

Only hunters that complain about lead vs steel are guys that can’t hit broadside of a barn

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 04/29/21 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eastxhuntr
Only hunters that complain about lead vs steel are guys that can’t hit broadside of a barn

Or we can just read.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 05/03/21 07:09 PM

good info, thanks for sharing
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 05/06/21 06:06 PM

There was debate even when they enacted the laws but they decided better to be safe than sorry. It was hard for those opposed to make a case that it was ok to keep slinging lead if they could get it done with non toxic shot. I didn't necessarily agree at the time, that is just what I recall.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 05/11/21 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by garrett
well hell yeah lead is deadly to raptors

and spoonies
Posted By: 1955

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 05/11/21 11:27 AM

Thanks for sharing !
Posted By: BigHutch

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 05/11/21 02:36 PM

Thanks for posting this very informative article.

I’m sure if research continues the toxic bacteria will be found to inhabit other aquatic plants when conditions are favorable. Lots of the research on lead ingestion by ducks was done on my “home” lake which is Catahoula Lake in Central Louisiana. My “uneducated” Grandpa always told me the issue with the lead shot was a fraud. He told me that in certain years the ducks ate something on Catahoula and that after eating it they wouldn’t / couldn’t fly or eat and that after a few days the ducks would die. Was it the same bacteria or maybe a disease? I don’t know but I hope the science prevails. It seems my “uneducated” former market hunting Grandpa might have been on to something.

Just my 2 cents
Big Hutch
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 05/12/21 02:27 AM

Raptors have been over protected for the past 40 years and need to be thinned out.
Nature has a way of doing so.
Posted By: claypool

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 05/12/21 04:40 AM

I imagine that the number of injured birds shot with steel that go off and die exceeds the ones that die from lead poisoning.

That was a interesting article.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 05/27/21 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by huntwest
Raptors have been over protected for the past 40 years and need to be thinned out.
Nature has a way of doing so.

This is a fact. Preregrine falcons in Missouri... where I live it seems like they outnumber cottontails 100 to 1. And the turkey vultures outnumber the falcons by a lot.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 06/04/21 01:38 AM

Very good article and a much more logical explanation than the lead poisoning myth.
Posted By: Ktexas14

Re: Maybe it wasn’t lead - 06/04/21 01:02 PM

Interesting read for sure.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum