Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey hunters

Posted By: 2flyfish4

Turkey hunters - 02/28/21 11:58 PM

I know there is another forum for turkey hunting. Just wondering how many of you duck hunters will be chasing turkey this spring. I'm going to go to new mexico to chase merriams and then hit my buddies place here in texas.

What turkey plans do you have this spring?
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/01/21 03:28 PM

Keeping it all in TX. Will try our lease opening weekend - went out there last weekend to get a few cams setup. I don't think there are any there, but ya never know.

My brother's place is not far away, but it's on the river and he has a lot of birds. I'll eventually hunt there. Also have a good friend that has a lot of birds this year in Young Co and he invited me out there, so will do that at some point.

I'm also hoping to get invited to another place around Decatur. The land owner is pretty protective, though, so I'm not holding my breath.
Posted By: js4242

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/02/21 12:16 AM

Will be chasing them on my FiL's place trying to get my son his first.
Posted By: claypool

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/02/21 03:25 AM

Be hunting em here in Texas and in Oklahoma.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/02/21 02:26 PM

Thinking about it.

If nothing else, I'll use the trip to check out some new WMAs.
Posted By: TShooter247

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/03/21 03:42 PM

I will chase a few near the Gulf Coast. Hope to get my first one down.
Posted By: pine knott

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/03/21 04:37 PM

Go to Balinger. Spend some time around Red Hill in Cass Co. Few birds in my part of the woods. Don't think Harrison Co. has a season.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/03/21 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper
Keeping it all in TX. Will try our lease opening weekend - went out there last weekend to get a few cams setup. I don't think there are any there, but ya never know.

My brother's place is not far away, but it's on the river and he has a lot of birds. I'll eventually hunt there. Also have a good friend that has a lot of birds this year in Young Co and he invited me out there, so will do that at some point.

I'm also hoping to get invited to another place around Decatur. The land owner is pretty protective, though, so I'm not holding my breath.

Decatur huh , that’s cool
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/04/21 10:54 PM

Never been a huge Turkey hunter but I'm gonna give it a go this year. I saw turkeys several times while duck hunting this year at one spot so I reckon I'll get myself a couple decoys and a box call and see what happens. Most of the property I have access to doesn't really have turkeys so I've never gotten into it. Going to be a learning experience for sure
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/05/21 01:22 AM

I'll hunt LA, TX, NE, and KS for sure. Toying with the idea of hunting MO otw to NE and if I tag out early hunting SD when I'm in NE. May run up and hunt WI mid to late May as well. If I can get a weekend in I'm gone run over to AL and hunt with a buddy.
Posted By: JCO

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/05/21 02:52 AM

SW Arkansas for me. Lease borders Dierks lake and has a good population. First year we’ve had it and first time I’ve had the itch. Much to learn.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/05/21 04:05 PM

Got a call from a buddy in Alabama. He's on a new hunting club and apparently has a lot of birds. I'll be heading there, too, at some point.
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/08/21 08:49 AM

I'll be trying public, but last year it was very crowded with covid hunters. I expect it will probably be the same this year. Get out there early if doing public!
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/12/21 10:39 PM

I'm going
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/13/21 01:18 AM

Going to a friends place, an easy 30 minute drive.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/13/21 04:11 AM

Mississippi and Texas this year depending on eye surgery schedule.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Turkey hunters - 03/18/21 01:37 PM

I might go. Haven't hunted turks in a few years. Back when I was chasing them I got the Tx slam a couple times (Rio's and Eastern) I sometimes wonder if Dwayne Bland is still after them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum