Texas Hunting Forum

The Birds FINALLY Came with the Cold

Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

The Birds FINALLY Came with the Cold - 02/14/21 05:14 PM

I took five shots at our pond this year. 2 Canada geese and 3 ringnecks. I mean it was a brutal year. Went out yesterday and there must’ve been 60 - 70 ducks on the pond including gadwalls, widgeons, pintails (which I’ve never seen on there), mallards, redheads, and ringnecks. A smorgasbord.

Seems like they need to align the season with the weather!
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: The Birds FINALLY Came with the Cold - 02/14/21 05:43 PM

Think they align seasons with migration patterns. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I believe migration patterns have shifted more to where they can find food, shelter, etc.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: The Birds FINALLY Came with the Cold - 02/14/21 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cajun Raider
Think they align seasons with migration patterns. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I believe migration patterns have shifted more to where they can find food, shelter, etc.

This!
Posted By: decook

Re: The Birds FINALLY Came with the Cold - 02/14/21 08:30 PM

I heard a white wing dove this morning in the back yard for the first time ever.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: The Birds FINALLY Came with the Cold - 02/14/21 08:45 PM

Heck, everything frozen here now. Birds are going to have to hit the coast to find open water.
Posted By: Eastxhuntr

Re: The Birds FINALLY Came with the Cold - 02/14/21 09:27 PM

As it goes every year
Posted By: Delta Duckman

Re: The Birds FINALLY Came with the Cold - 02/15/21 06:09 PM

I guess the ice eaters in the flooded corn fields can't keep up with the cold weather up the line.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: The Birds FINALLY Came with the Cold - 02/15/21 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Delta Duckman
I guess the ice eaters in the flooded corn fields can't keep up with the cold weather up the line.

Apparently you've never owned an ice eater.

[Linked Image]

Re: The Birds FINALLY Came with the Cold - 02/17/21 01:31 AM

great thing about having a deep pond - unless the cold comes after the season that is.
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: The Birds FINALLY Came with the Cold - 02/21/21 11:41 PM

Found a dead gadwall in the hole I broke open on the pond for the horses. I wonder what killed it?

Re: The Birds FINALLY Came with the Cold - 02/22/21 08:50 PM

Must've been 300 birds in the open water on our pond Saturday (maybe 1/3 acre hole) - widgeons, canvasbacks, redheads, pintails, mallards, ringnecks, buffleheads (had never seen one until then) - might even be missing one. Did get to see a few try to land on the ice laugh
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: The Birds FINALLY Came with the Cold - 02/24/21 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Delta Duckman

1 Feb of each year the flooded fields are drained, so they can get the land dried out for replanting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum