Texas Hunting Forum

Gloves

Posted By: js4242

Gloves - 02/11/21 03:03 PM

Since we're talking gear lately - school me on gloves. I run a tiller handle and the POS pair I have aren't working. Too bulky and not as warm as I would like. Looking for something that is warm and not bulky, but also have dexterity to them so I can do the things I need to do while also setting up. Not worried about picking up decoys and won't be shooting/calling with them on.
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: Gloves - 02/11/21 03:09 PM

I wear a pair of liner gloves all the time. Then slip on a crabbing glove like this for when you need to run across the lake or other things where you don't need full dexterity.

https://www.amazon.com/Promar-GL-40...bing+glove&qid=1613056108&sr=8-6
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Gloves - 02/11/21 03:20 PM

When I use to duck hunt, I used scuba diving gloves.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Gloves - 02/11/21 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by js4242
Since we're talking gear lately - school me on gloves. I run a tiller handle and the POS pair I have aren't working. Too bulky and not as warm as I would like. Looking for something that is warm and not bulky, but also have dexterity to them so I can do the things I need to do while also setting up. Not worried about picking up decoys and won't be shooting/calling with them on.

A lot of people like the delta deek glove for running a tiller. They have a removable liner.
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: Gloves - 02/11/21 03:51 PM

$20 pair of black ski gloves on Amazon. And as mentioned, liners will help if you need more warmth.
Posted By: TShooter247

Re: Gloves - 02/11/21 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by fishdfly
When I use to duck hunt, I used scuba diving gloves.

I wear scuba gloves
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Gloves - 02/11/21 06:44 PM

What I've learned about gloves is that if your hands are already cold when you put them on, they'll never warm up. If you put decent gloves on already warm hands, they'll stay warm. Just like if you put something cold in a cooler it'll stay cold, and if you put something warm in there, it'll stay warm.

I try my best now to put them on in the truck or cabin instead of waiting for my hands to get cold. I also stick a zippo rechargeable hand warmer in a pocket and if my hands get cold, I can warm them back up before putting my gloves back on.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Gloves - 02/11/21 07:13 PM

They say that 90% of your body heat is lost thru your head, keep your head covered and it's easier to keep you hands warm.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Gloves - 02/11/21 10:12 PM

I use a heavy gortex glove for the boat ride in. Then I ditch them for some thinner gloves. I have 2 kinds, a cheap cotton pair and one thats more water repellant. But then I only use one on my left hand. My right hand holds the calls and they don't sound right with a glove on. I keep my right hand in my chest pocket and if it gets really cold I throw a hand warmer in the pocket.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Gloves - 02/11/21 10:25 PM

Anything gortex
Posted By: TBS12

Re: Gloves - 02/12/21 02:14 PM

insulated leather gloves have always worked for me running a tiller. Will switch to non insulated when we're hunting
Posted By: 68A

Re: Gloves - 02/12/21 02:35 PM

For me, I have to put gloves on while my hands are still warm or I’m fighting a losing battle. As has been mentioned, a pair of good merino wool liners with gortex on top of those will do the trick. The only time I use them is the ride in and then setting up. Found a pair of gortex drake gloves on sale at academy a few years ago, they’ve fit the bill nicely for when I do need them. When it’s that cold, I put them on before I get out of the truck
Posted By: Noojen

Re: Gloves - 02/12/21 02:41 PM

Check out the Drake Waterfowl MST glove. It's water/windproof and the liner is sewn in so when you pull your hand out it doesn't get pulled out.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Gloves - 02/12/21 02:44 PM

I’m a big fan of outdry over goretex, with that said my go to are give’r mittens. Leather, wind proof, waterproof, insulated and have a heat reflective liner, I’d size up
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Gloves - 02/12/21 03:13 PM

These have been the best ones so far. The only gloves that truly kept my fingers dry.

https://www.kuiu.com/global/yukon-p...Valo&cgid=accessories-gloves#start=6
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Gloves - 02/13/21 04:04 PM

Key is keep hands dry and out of wind. I have thinsulate wool gloves that breathe, with finder tips open- amazon 20 bucks, several pairs- use decoy gloves on Polaris and when around water and put on gortex Sitkas eventually. They make a lithium ion heating puck that works great. Hand warmers can get wet.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Gloves - 02/13/21 06:38 PM

I have some Cabelas gore tex I used for duck hunting but they are bulky. Have you tried mechanics gloves? They fit tightly.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum