Texas Hunting Forum

Lets talk waders

Posted By: mohunter

Lets talk waders - 02/01/21 05:58 PM

I need to find some breathable waders that don't leak, let me know what you got.

I have been thru several brands and none of them are worth a d$$n.

Bought a new pair of Cabelas breathable to make it to the end of season this January and they did not make it two weeks before they started leaking at the seams.

I wear them around 100 plus days a year so before someone tells me how great theirs are if you wear them 10-20 times a year don't bother.

If you have a pair that have over 100 uses and they are leak free I want to know the brand.

A couple I am thinking about if anyone has any info on them are LL Beans and Simms G3 guide boot feet.

Not sure about Rogers brand if anyone has them.

I don't want to hear about Sitka, people are having issues with them already as well and don't really want to pay $125 every month to get a new pair with the so called "lifetime warranty". but if anyone has a pair and they have over 100 uses let me know.

Thanks
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/01/21 06:35 PM

Had about 40 out of my Sitkas this year. No issues and love them. The other 2 guys I hunt with both have Sitkas and they had no issues.

We all used to wear Banded waders......and they flat out suck! I definitely recommend to stay away from those.
Posted By: js4242

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/01/21 07:40 PM

Simms G3 stocking foot - don't wear them 100 times a year, but have well over a 100 wears over the lifetime. My buddies have the Freestone Zipper. Definitely not the same material, but the zipper is nice and they haven't had issue either. One guy definitely has more than 100 wears with no issues as well. They other guys aren't close to 100 wears but no issues either.
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/01/21 08:05 PM

Simms G3 with Simms wade boots. I wear them every weekend plus days from November to April. No issues between hunting season and wade fishing. I also avoid thick brush and briars as much as possible, I am rough on them, but not an idiot with them.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/01/21 08:47 PM

Sunday marked the end of year 2 with my currents pair. I hunted 21 days last year and 37 this year, 58 days total. No problems and they are scratched up with the briars/brush we cleared and walked thru while hunting. All public hunts using whatever cover we could find or fashion together. Gator Waders breathable, insulated. I also have the un insulated version also for teal/early 1st split. 3 years ago I got my first pair of gator waders. They leaked and had the older boot style that was real comfy but I thought a little to thin material. I took them back to Tyler Tx and they exchanged them no problem and the new pair that I have used now for 2 years have much nicer boots as far as thickness, durability. I just washed them off yesterday and there drying now. Will fold them up, put in original case they came in and store them in my bedroom closet until next season.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/01/21 08:55 PM

Simms G3- my go too probably well over 300x, I fish the coast a bunch too. I sent them back to Simms for new booties and picked up a a pair of the pilot river guide HD stocking frogg toggs on the cheap.

The frogs toggs for the price are very fictional. Cosmetically they are lacking. The external tape around pockets is already peeling off. Tape isnt functional though so no biggy. I have toughly 40x on them between duck hunts up here and wade fishing and duck hunting the coast. Jury is still out, but decent loaner or back Up set.

I personally hate booted waders. I'd much rather have stocking feet and real shoes.

Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/01/21 09:42 PM

Sitka..
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/02/21 01:20 AM

For those recommending Simms stocking foot, how the heck does a wading boot stay on going through shin deep mud?

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/02/21 01:45 AM

Your ankle is a heck a stop. Honestly, I really don't know. I didn't trust it at first, but I've never lost one. From ray guard style to lace up they stay on. Lace up are my favorite. Simms flat sneakers. 5/6 years of use along with the waders.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/02/21 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by E.TX.JMart
For those recommending Simms stocking foot, how the heck does a wading boot stay on going through shin deep mud?

Same way regular boots do, ankle
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/02/21 03:29 AM

Stocking foot with wading boots stay on your feet better than boot foot waders while going through thick/deep mud.

Another vote for simms g3. They are very tough, suprisingly I have not ripped any holes in mine while going through thick brush, briars or other vegetation.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/02/21 02:11 PM

Best breathable waders I ever owned were the camo Orvis with the lace up boots to mid shin. Boots were junk and made in China though. Orvis constantly had to replace them due to the boots leaking. Then they changed the design and went to some boots similar to what Astronauts landing on the moon would ware. They were oversized and clumsy to walk in. Lacross were comfortable and never lasted. Rogers are meh. Ran across a deal on some Banded Black Label. Leaked in the seam after the first year. Avery admitted a design issue with some adhesive they had used. Replaced them free of charge. I'm on year 3 with the ones they have replaced and luckily I haven't had an issue. They are by far the most comfortable and warmest breathable I've owned. I'm not a Belding fan, but you can tell a duck hunter had some input into the design the way the pockets and shell pouches are laid out.
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/02/21 03:11 PM

Got my LLBean breathable start of last season...started leaking teal season this year! Called about warranty and was told I was past 1 year and I could buy aquaseal!
Posted By: teal.slayer14

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/02/21 06:00 PM

I've had two pairs of Rogers (Frog Togg) and both had leaked at the seams after 30-40 hunts. I'm in the same dilemma on buying new waders. Anyone ever use these?
https://www.bassdash.com/products/b...ilable-in-7-sizes?variant=29239386308692
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/03/21 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by BradyBuck
Sitka..

Only way to go
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/04/21 12:34 AM

I use cabelas breathables and never have issues, i have some long walks in and out as well from teal season all the way through big duck.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/04/21 02:05 AM

What's these sitka problems you're having?
I'm on multiple pages and there isn't anyone having a constant problem
Posted By: 68A

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/04/21 02:33 AM

My gator waders have been solid through 3 seasons. In and out of boat, brush, mud. Comfortable as well. I can’t/won’t justify spending $1k on waders.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/04/21 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by 68A
My gator waders have been solid through 3 seasons. In and out of boat, brush, mud. Comfortable as well. I can’t/won’t justify spending $1k on waders.

What gator waders do you have?
Mine were awful and uncomfortable. I honestly didn't know what a comfortable pair was until I got my sitka's.
I will say the brush guard on the gator waders are legit, and I really wish sitka was like that, but those knee pads are nice too.

Btw, use that zipper to go pee once and it makes that $1000 well justified!

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/04/21 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by 68A

Are your boots the black thinner material? When I exchanged mine 3 years ago the new pair had the green boot that is really nice.

"Btw, use that zipper to go pee once and it makes that $1000 well justified!"

Good lord man. I can throw my straps off and just lower my waders and be peeing in jig time. I wear sweats 100% of the time. I don't want a button or a zipper anywhere near my large package, but for those that don't have much to get caught in such contractions a zipper will suffice. roflmao
Posted By: TDK

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/04/21 03:13 PM

High N Dry are supposedly good, but I don’t wear Sitka and I have front zip waders.
Posted By: Astater

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 02:57 PM

I use these:

https://akwatx.com/collections/hunting/products/sea-rch-er-wader

Buddy of mine started this company and we put em through hell this season. So far so good. Ya'll support a local duck hunter once these hit the market.
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 03:06 PM

I also wear Gator Waders, shield series, insulated. I spend a lot of time in mine between hunting and then into spring fishing before the water warms up.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 03:41 PM

I have a pair of Mack's Big Ditch that are 11yrs old, the best and most comfortable waders I have ever used. I am going to order a pair of Gators this year as a back up, just hope they are as comfortable as people say.

I had a pair of Gander Mountain 7mm, warmest but were the easiest to punch a hole in.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by BDB
Originally Posted by 68A

Are your boots the black thinner material? When I exchanged mine 3 years ago the new pair had the green boot that is really nice.

"Btw, use that zipper to go pee once and it makes that $1000 well justified!"

Good lord man. I can throw my straps off and just lower my waders and be peeing in jig time. I wear sweats 100% of the time. I don't want a button or a zipper anywhere near my large package, but for those that don't have much to get caught in such contractions a zipper will suffice. roflmao

Mine are the green color boots.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 04:05 PM

I have to admit it, I learned something from a kid less than half my age. After a hunt we were all getting our stuff loaded up and I noticed a guy was wearing some light weight breathable waterproof pants under his waders. Frog Toggs (sp?) I believe.

I owe my crotch a big apology for not thinking of that.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 05:32 PM

Some of you guys will spend $10k+ on guns, decoys, boats, calls, blinds, etc but get pinchy when it comes to a few hundred extra dollars on waders..

Probably drive a $70k truck too..

If you want a pair of nice waders with the best warranty and customer service in business buy the Sitkas...

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 06:07 PM

If money does not matter and you don’t mind spending $750 for bootfoot waders it looks like nothing beats Simms, longer history than anyone else and better warranty than Sitka.

So why is the Sitka the “best”?
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 06:23 PM

My guide does 200+ a year and won't wear anything but Simms G3.

Stay away from Patagonia waders and their "lifetime" guarantee. Their definition of life time is a couple of seasons of use. Asshats will never get my business again.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by mohunter
If money does not matter and you don’t mind spending $750 for bootfoot waders it looks like nothing beats Simms, longer history than anyone else and better warranty than Sitka.

great marketing is what makes them the best

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 07:00 PM

Some of you guys will spend $10k+ on guns, decoys, boats, calls, blinds, etc but get pinchy when it comes to a few hundred extra dollars on waders..

If you want a pair of nice waders with the best warranty and customer service in business buy the Sitkas...

What makes them better then Simms? Simms telling Sitka they wouldn’t make them for Sitka.. lol

So you are saying a 3 year product has dethroned the 40 year Bench Mark setting leader?

I’d put Simms against the Sitka outsourced Kokata product anyday of the week.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

What makes them better then Simms? Simms telling Sitka they wouldn’t make them for Sitka.. lol

So you are saying a 3 year product has dethroned the 40 year Bench Mark setting leader?

Does Simms make camo waders? Do they make boot foot? I ain't got time to put on waders then have to put on a dang pair of boots. WE GOTS TO GO!

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 07:35 PM

I hear ya on boot foot, but stocking foot waders with a good wading boot is 10x more comfortable.
Simms does have camo, but their earth tone waders have never flared ducks for me.

The only reason people think sitka is best is bc if their advertising.

I'll continue to wear my simms g3 and be perfectly happy and dry while people slowly realize their sitkas are just an advertising campaign

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 07:36 PM

Nothing against Simms. However, I can't see that stocking foot being very good and after you buy the Simms and a good boot you are probably spending close to the same anyway.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
I hear ya on boot foot, but stocking foot waders with a good wading boot is 10x more comfortable.
Simms does have camo, but their earth tone waders have never flared ducks for me.

The only reason people think sitka is best is bc if their advertising.

I'll continue to wear my simms g3 and be perfectly happy and dry while people slowly realize their sitkas are just an advertising campaign

I was an anti Sitka guy until I bought the duck oven jacket. It is by far the most comfortable and warmest coat I've ever owned.

I also bought a benie and it ended up being the wrong pattern. Sent it back and they sent me two back. Can't beat that kind of costumer service.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 07:44 PM

Nothing against Simms. However, I can't see that stocking foot being very good and after you buy the Simms and a good boot you are probably spending close to the same anyway.

Before you start taking about the “best” you might want to do some research and know what your talking about first.

Yes Simms makes a camo, bootfoot wader for $750-800 if you want them custom made as well.

They charge $60 to repair after first year as opposed to $125 for Sitka each time.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 08:29 PM

How far have you had to walk in built in boots? If I’m wearing breathable why would I want an insulated boot?

I’ve walked miles of muck bottom, hard bottom, and dry ground. Real Lace up wading boots are way to go, with breathable waters. Even in boat they are better and more comfortable

Im not overly price consequence on good gear, in fact the opposite. I’m not against Sitka gear by any means, I’ll defend them when appropriate. I’m a straight up gear junkie. I own Sitka, kuiu, Simms, artyerx, mountain hardware, stone glacier etc,

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 08:59 PM

Why is Simms the best? Who says they have better customer service? I grew up trout fishing in Arkansas and promise you Simms waders leak from time to time and have to be repaired. Same as Sitkas, same as most waders. No matter who the manufacturer is, there will be a pair or 2 get out the door from time to time that just wasnt put together great. It happens.

You asked for opinions and looks like people are giving them to you. But you seem to get feathers ruffled if someone mentions Sitka.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey

Why is Simms the best? Who says they have better customer service? I grew up trout fishing in Arkansas and promise you Simms waders leak from time to time and have to be repaired. Same as Sitkas, same as most waders. No matter who the manufacturer is, there will be a pair or 2 get out the door from time to time that just wasnt put together great. It happens.

You asked for opinions and looks like people are giving them to you. But you seem to get feathers ruffled if someone mentions Sitka.

They all do eventually, their is no best, just personal preference, that’s the point most of us are making.

With that said historically and by use % Simms holds the market world wide as a bench mark.

End of the day both are same Laminate and same seam tape etc. Construction history in this case is the big difference

In his offense OP already said no to Sitka

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/05/21 09:08 PM

I agree Bobo. Either way at the end of day no matter what, Sitka and Simms both make some incredible products.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 01:50 AM

Sitka does not charge for wader repair.

Before you start taking about the “best” you might want to do some research and know what your talking about first.

Yes Simms makes a camo, bootfoot wader for $750-800 if you want them custom made as well.

They charge $60 to repair after first year as opposed to $125 for Sitka each time.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 01:52 AM

Years and years of r&d.

I've listened to plenty of podcasts from sitka guys and they never release a product until it's ready. Their binocular harness was in production for 8 years.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

Years and years of r&d.

I've listened to plenty of podcasts from sitka guys and they never release a product until it's ready. Their binocular harness was in production for 8 years.

Well their R&D is 37 years behind Simms, via your thought process

And Only company with a worse bino harness then Sitka is badlands, IMO

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 03:35 AM

Years and years of r&d.

Did you have one to test it out?
I've heard mixed reviews on it.

I didn't think Simms was hunting?
Yes, sitka waders are new, but there's also a reason that a vast majority of outfitters and guides wear Sitka.
I've also never seen anyone say that sitka waders are awful.
I didn't like the price of them at all, but I needed a new pair and figured why not. Well, it was a great decision, they are way more comfortable than my gator waders I had.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 03:58 AM

[quote=KWood_TSU]Sitka does not charge for wader repair.

Not exactly true. They have a good manufactures defect warranty. Anything outside of that you pay for. Not ALL repairs are for free.

This is the rub with Sitka “best” statements - for full disclosure I do have some Sitka gear and I like it. if you haven’t tried every wader on the market you can’t claim what is “best”. You can claim you love your waders and they have been great, but don’t call them best. When ever someone asks a question about gear, some Sitka guys claim they are the best. In this particular example, to put the best label on Sitka when Simms is a proven leader for years is a bit of a stretch.

Service/Non-Warranty Options // *
*Prices are estimates and subject to change.

Tears/Patches/Pinholes: [$30 – $70]
Depending on Severity
Boot Replacement due to wear: [$200]
Suspender Replacement due to wear: [$40]
End of Season Service: [$125]
Complete inspection
Pressure Test
Pinhole leak identification
Boot leak identification
Seam failures
Includes up to 4 pinhole patches
*If a warrantable item is discovered, there will be no charge for Service. Defect repair will be covered under warranty.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 04:04 AM

Years and years of r&d.

Did you have one to test it out?
I've heard mixed reviews on it.

I didn't think Simms was hunting?
Yes, sitka waders are new, but there's also a reason that a vast majority of outfitters and guides wear Sitka.
I've also never seen anyone say that sitka waders are awful.
I didn't like the price of them at all, but I needed a new pair and figured why not. Well, it was a great decision, they are way more comfortable than my gator waders I had.

You think a few ducking hunting guides on Sitka Pro platform means they are preferred?

Simms guide platform is literally world wide, we are taking probably a sales ratio of 400 to 1 ratio if not more.

Nobody said Sitka was awful. OP said he wasn’t looking at Sitka and excluded them right off the bat.

Yes, Sitka, Kuiu, FHF, Marsupial, ACG and elberstock.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by js4242
[quote=KWood_TSU]Sitka does not charge for wader repair.

Not exactly true. They have a good manufactures defect warranty. Anything outside of that you pay for. Not ALL repairs are for free.

This is the rub with Sitka “best” statements - for full disclosure I do have some Sitka gear and I like it. if you haven’t tried every wader on the market you can’t claim what is “best”. You can claim you love your waders and they have been great, but don’t call them best. When ever someone asks a question about gear, some Sitka guys claim they are the best. In this particular example, to put the best label on Sitka when Simms is a proven leader for years is a bit of a stretch.

Service/Non-Warranty Options // *
*Prices are estimates and subject to change.

Tears/Patches/Pinholes: [$30 – $70]
Depending on Severity
Boot Replacement due to wear: [$200]
Suspender Replacement due to wear: [$40]
End of Season Service: [$125]
Complete inspection
Pressure Test
Pinhole leak identification
Boot leak identification
Seam failures
Includes up to 4 pinhole patches
*If a warrantable item is discovered, there will be no charge for Service. Defect repair will be covered under warranty.

I know what the website says, but they don't charge for wader repair. It's well known in the duck hunting world that they don't.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 04:46 AM

You think a few ducking hunting guides on Sitka Pro platform means they are preferred?

Simms guide platform is literally world wide, we are taking probably a sales ratio of 400 to 1 ratio if not more.

Nobody said Sitka was awful. OP said he wasn’t looking at Sitka and excluded them right off the bat.

When Sitka is used by that vast majority of outfitters and guides that's a statement. Sure they end up on the pro platform, but the waders aren't discounted. I've never seen anyone in the hunting world wear Simms waders. I know they are the leader in fishing though.
I think waders are the most subjective thing, but other than that, in the waterfowl world they are the leaders and the best, no debate.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 05:16 AM

When Sitka is used by that vast majority of outfitters and guides that's a statement. Sure they end up on the pro platform, but the waders aren't discounted. I've never seen anyone in the hunting world wear Simms waders. I know they are the leader in fishing though.
I think waders are the most subjective thing, but other than that, in the waterfowl world they are the leaders and the best, no debate.

Your statements are ridiculous. I don't know if you troll for the fun of it or are just clueless. Please provide a breakdown of this vast majority you speak of and where you got those stats from.

I guess no one wore waders before Sitka came out. Not counting neoprene, but my experience has been when people talk about quality waders (hunting or fishing), Simms is the top of the list. Sitka has obviously has vaulted up there as well, but to say there is no debate - I don't buy it. if you don't think a lot of those high profile guides/outfitters/lodges are getting a deal on gear you have no clue what you're talking about. It's called a marketing budget and that covers the discount.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 05:19 AM

My buddy is a guide, is in the guide program with sitka and he has told me he gets all sitka gear at 50% off retail.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 05:22 AM

For those that wear Sitka I’d like to know, what’s your percentage of hunting public vs private? Layout blind vs make shift? Busting brush vs driving up dumping gear and setting up?
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 12:24 PM

Yep dudes still a bag.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 12:26 PM

My buddy is a guide, is in the guide program with sitka and he has told me he gets all sitka gear at 50% off retail.

It's more like 40%

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 01:29 PM

It's more like 40%

It’s a well know fact in the duck hunting world it’s 50%. grin

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 01:29 PM

It's more like 40%

And with caps. Guide deals aren’t as good as most friends and family programs, across the spectrum of mfg

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 01:30 PM

Yup, I know, but waders still aren't discounted.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 01:33 PM

Your statements are ridiculous. I don't know if you troll for the fun of it or are just clueless. Please provide a breakdown of this vast majority you speak of and where you got those stats from.

I guess no one wore waders before Sitka came out. Not counting neoprene, but my experience has been when people talk about quality waders (hunting or fishing), Simms is the top of the list. Sitka has obviously has vaulted up there as well, but to say there is no debate - I don't buy it. if you don't think a lot of those high profile guides/outfitters/lodges are getting a deal on gear you have no clue what you're talking about. It's called a marketing budget and that covers the discount.

I wasn't talking about waders here, I was talking about all the gear combined.
Sitka is the most worn brand out there. Look at Instagram, any outfitter you see running hunts is wearing what? Not simms, not drake, not banded.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 01:51 PM

Sitka is the most worn brand out there. Look at Instagram, any outfitter you see running hunts is wearing what? Not simms, not drake, not banded.

Lol, what are sitka’s guide/athlete social media posting requirements?

Of the 10 guides I know 1 is a sitka “athlete”, one runs drake but changing to gator, rest run simms for breathable. A lot of those guides run two duck hunts a day most days at the coast.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 01:55 PM

You realize this thread is about waders right???

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 02:25 PM

Cool deal Bobo, everyone i see in Arkansas, true north Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri all run sitka.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 02:25 PM

Cool deal Bobo, everyone i see in Arkansas, true north Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri all run sitka.

Obviously we run in different circles, wader wise.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 03:32 PM

Here's what I really want to know.....

what do elk, moose, deer, caribou, turkey, ducks, bear, sheep, goats, and pigs think about Sitka?

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 03:32 PM

So bobo you're saying you don't hang out with dbags?

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 03:39 PM

I don't want to hear about Sitka, people are having issues with them already as well and don't really want to pay $125 every month to get a new pair with the so called "lifetime warranty". but if anyone has a pair and they have over 100 uses let me know.

Thanks

Some of you guys can't understand simple thinking.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by BDB

what do elk, moose, deer, caribou, turkey, ducks, bear, sheep, goats, and pigs think about Sitka?

They don't think, apparently they are dead before they know what happens.

I will say I will always prefer the asat camo pattern over anything.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass

So you're judging a book by the cover?

What about the guys at fowlco outfitters. Good Christian guys that run sitka. But according to you, since they wear Sitka you're too cool for them.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 04:08 PM

No, I just know the affiliate/pro/athlete etc programs for most companies including sitka. I’m just not into people pissin on my leg and then telling me it's raining. Nobody said sitka wasn't good gear, I've even defended them, but pimping a company's secondary product with a 3 years history over a company with a 40 year history built around WADERS is asinine, even when OP said no on sitka right off the bat.

I would not be surprise if kwood is on the affiliate program for Boss, Sitka and Bison....

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by BDB

Depends on how long it takes for a hunter to find said animals. More comfortable you are, longer you stay on the mountain, tree, water etc.

It's all about a ROI, but a lot of conditions don't mandate exclusive gear though

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 05:05 PM

What about the guys at fowlco outfitters. Good Christian guys that run sitka. But according to you, since they wear Sitka you're too cool for them.

No I'm saying if they hang out with you they are bags. I have nothing against anyone who wears sitka but someone who can't shut up about it's a little annoying

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 08:47 PM

No I'm saying if they hang out with you they are bags. I have nothing against anyone who wears sitka but someone who can't shut up about it's a little annoying

Why you crawfishing? That's exactly what you implied.

What's funny is someone mentioned on this thread said that Simms and sitka were the same thing, and then others are saying that Simms is better. That's confusing.

What's also interesting is someone mentioned sitka having a "problem" with their waders. I asked what the problem was, no answer. So you see, these threads that involve sitka would go a lot better if the poors and haters wouldn't rear their ugly head to try and trash talk.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 08:59 PM

I just flat called you a dbag and that's crawfishing? roflmao

Go away you wannabe professional hunter. Your opinion here is worth less than that of a vegan.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 09:01 PM

The op said he doesn't want to hear from you sitka homos. But here you come waving your flag.

Let's pretend that you can't shoot ducks without sitka and boss. Okay just keep it to yourself and you can kill all the ducks and us peons won't get to shoot ducks

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 09:03 PM

What's funny is someone mentioned on this thread said that Simms and sitka were the same thing, and then others are saying that Simms is better. That's confusing.

No that's not what I said. Sitka outsources their manufacturing to another company that makes dry suits for kayaking, not waders and Simms has been manufacturing waders in-house for 40 years.

Simms has a HUGE head start in manufacturing experience alone. 3years R&D vs 40 years. Zero manufacturing vs 40 years.

When using gore textiles, the textiles are similar out side of mfg’ing, but Simms also isn’t bond to JUST Goretex textiles like Sitka is, thus they started using Toray’s Laminates in some of their wader lines.

You want to keep going? Let’s see if you can twist this too.

WL Gore, sitka’s parent company had a federal inquiry about discriminatory business practices about suppressing competition with better and non price fixed laminates. One of the reasons many companies like Simms are bringing on better laminates. WL Gore is about as shady as shady gets.

You want to talk also about how Sitka came out again multi use public land specifically oil and gas exploration? Obviously you arent in oil and gas so you don’t care, about all the recent lay offs.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 10:01 PM

The op said he doesn't want to hear from you sitka homos. But here you come waving your flag.

Let's pretend that you can't shoot ducks without sitka and boss. Okay just keep it to yourself and you can kill all the ducks and us peons won't get to shoot ducks

No, he said he doesn't want sitka bc they are having "problems". I asked what problem and there hasn't been an answer. He also said it's $125 to send then in, also not true.

He also asked why sitka is the best. I said they that waders are a subjective thing. I prefer them over gators for reasons stated previously. I didn't have to justify the cost of them bc they did it for me when I wore them for the first time hunting .

I did say that sitka makes the best waterfowl gear outside of waders though and I'll stand by that.

Btw, I've killed ducks with steel and gator waders, but since switching to boss and sitka my experience has been more pleasurable. Warmer with less bulk and no longer chasing cripples.

You're the one that makes a big deal about it.
This happens time and time again on waterfowl Facebook groups. People dog sitka, then they buy a piece and they are on board with it. Then it's an I told you so.

I'm saying you do you, you're the one name calling and bringing in the high school drama.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 10:05 PM

No that's not what I said. Sitka outsources their manufacturing to another company that makes dry suits for kayaking, not waders and Simms has been manufacturing waders in-house for 40 years.

Simms has a HUGE head start in manufacturing experience alone. 3years R&D vs 40 years. Zero manufacturing vs 40 years.

When using gore textiles, the textiles are similar out side of mfg’ing, but Simms also isn’t bond to JUST Goretex textiles like Sitka is, thus they started using Toray’s Laminates in some of their wader lines.

WL Gore, sitka’s parent company had a federal inquiry about discriminatory business practices about suppressing competition with better and non price fixed laminates. One of the reasons many companies like Simms are bringing on better laminates. WL Gore is about as shady as shady gets.

You want to talk also about how Sitka came out again multi use public land specifically oil and gas exploration? Obviously you arent in oil and gas so you don’t care, about all the recent lay offs.

I didn't say you, I said someone.

Curious question, why is it taking sitka getting in the game to make Simms make hunting waders?
As previously stated, I know Simms has been making fishing waders for a long time.

I know sitka is huge on being environment friendly, but I don't keep up real close to it all.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 10:22 PM

No, he said he doesn't want sitka bc they are having "problems". I asked what problem and there hasn't been an answer. He also said it's $125 to send then in, also not true.

He also asked why sitka is the best. I said they that waders are a subjective thing. I prefer them over gators for reasons stated previously. I didn't have to justify the cost of them bc they did it for me when I wore them for the first time hunting .

I did say that sitka makes the best waterfowl gear outside of waders though and I'll stand by that.

Btw, I've killed ducks with steel and gator waders, but since switching to boss and sitka my experience has been more pleasurable. Warmer with less bulk and no longer chasing cripples.

This happens time and time again on waterfowl Facebook groups. People dog sitka, then they buy a piece and they are on board with it. Then it's an I told you so.

I'm saying you do you, you're the one name calling and bringing in the high school drama.

Find where I've "dogged" sitka.

I'll wait. It's not the message it's the messenger.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 10:38 PM

There is a guy on the tff all he talks about is how bad mlf is and how great bass is. It's dumb it's all he talks about. People probably get tired of his talking so much they would watch mlf over bass.

You're the same way for sitka and boss if I owned either of those companies I'd send you a cease and desist.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 10:39 PM

Find where I've "dogged" sitka.

I'll wait. It's not the message it's the messenger.

I said people good sir. That was general. Quit acting like you're being attacked all the time.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 10:53 PM

I didn't say you, I said someone.

Curious question, why is it taking sitka getting in the game to make Simms make hunting waders?
As previously stated, I know Simms has been making fishing waders for a long time.

I know sitka is huge on being environment friendly, but I don't keep up real close to it all.

Dumb question, why does Firstlite, Kuiu, Stone glacier AND Sitka have solids colors in their hunting lines? Why pay camo branding licenses, if you don’t need too?

What makes a pair of waders worn in the water, hunting waders vs fishing waders?

Even better question why pay 100,000’s of dollars in camo branding licenses?

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 11:02 PM

Since Gore owns sitka i guess it doesn't matter?
And they are probably catering to the hunter, I prefer a solid colored dirt or drab green hoody with a camo vest for hunting. Also maybe for the item to cross over to everyday wear. If you work outside and can have your warm hunting gear also be used to work in it saves some money.

The sitka waterfowl camo is debated all the time, even after sitka has said that timber was made for the hunter. You still have the guys that think the marsh pattern is too bright for timber when they have said it isn't.

I've never had fishing waders, do they have the warm chest pockets like hunting do? I'm sure some waders are slightly catered to their use. Just like banded made a pair with a light bar on them.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 11:19 PM

Something to consider about simms is no they are not the popular choice amongst most duck hunters. They are very popular with fisherman, thats a result of the market they decided to target. However guides on the texas coast wear simms hundreds of days a year. They wear them wade fishing for trout and red fish and then all through duck season. Sitka guys wear their waders, what 3 months out of the year and that it.

I'll stick with simms that are worn hundreds of days a year, year in and year out over sitka that I am already seeing on social media crap out on people after being worn maybe a couple hundred times over the last 3 years.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/06/21 11:25 PM

Since Gore owns sitka i guess it doesn't matter?
And they are probably catering to the hunter, I prefer a solid colored dirt or drab green hoody with a camo vest for hunting. Also maybe for the item to cross over to everyday wear. If you work outside and can have your warm hunting gear also be used to work in it saves some money.

The sitka waterfowl camo is debated all the time, even after sitka has said that timber was made for the hunter. You still have the guys that think the marsh pattern is too bright for timber when they have said it isn't.

I've never had fishing waders, do they have the warm chest pockets like hunting do? I'm sure some waders are slightly catered to their use. Just like banded made a pair with a light bar on them.

When did you start duck hunting or hunting in general?

Waders have two seasons. Non insulated and insulated season, with in those categories booted and non booted, from there they break down into textiles classes.

This isn’t about who makes best camo, this is about WADERS. If you think camo licensing makes a wader a hunting wader, I don’t know what to tell you. Go hunt in Alaska and take your Sitka’s moose hunting on a fly in float trip. Enjoy walking miles in booted waders.

I can’t believe I’ve killed ducks in non camo wader while hunting in knee to waist deep water, or in layout blind, or body booting or in layout boats.... I won’t even get into big game hunting

All waders have a chest pocket or wallet storage.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/07/21 02:25 PM

Why does how long ago matter?

I've duck hunted about 3 seasons. Hunted in general for 17 or so years. I got a late start to waterfowl, but it's absolutely my favorite so I've completely submerged myself into it. There's a chance I'll actually be guiding hunts next year.

I also have a degree in wildlife biology.

I know the difference in waders, I did hours upon hours of research before I bought the gators, and that was a bad decision unfortunately, but they came highly recommended.

Sitka does have a lacrosse boot, I've walked miles in them, obviously not Alaska terrain though.
Why wouldn't you just use hip waders though in Alaska?

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/07/21 03:18 PM

I've duck hunted about 3 seasons. Hunted in general for 17 or so years. I got a late start to waterfowl, but it's absolutely my favorite so I've completely submerged myself into it. There's a chance I'll actually be guiding hunts next year.

I know the difference in waders, I did hours upon hours of research before I bought the gators, and that was a bad decision unfortunately, but they came highly recommended.

Sitka does have a lacrosse boot, I've walked miles in them, obviously not Alaska terrain though.

Makes sense on why you got stuck on hunting waders. , waders are waders. Longevity will always mean more then features. Eventually you will end up picking up some non-insulated stocking waders to add to your arsenal. When you do, put simms on yours list to try. Night in day difference walking and getting in and out of boats.

In Alaska, For light crossing hip boots work alright, floating the river not so much. Now late season duck hunts, you won’t hardly see a pair of light or mid weight breathables.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/07/21 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by BDB

Depends on how long it takes for a hunter to find said animals. More comfortable you are, longer you stay on the mountain, tree, water etc.

It's all about a ROI, but a lot of conditions don't mandate exclusive gear though

I was just being sarcastic.

The great thing today when it comes to equipment (including clothing) is our choices. I'm pro free market...if you want to spend the bread on the best or one of the best money can buy go for it. I just met and hunted with a fellow duck hunter a few times this year who called me up as his motor went down....he gets 50% off Sitka (except waders) so I may buy me some thru him. But I've packed in wilderness areas in N.M., Col and Montana bowhunting for elk, all solo, 7-14 day trips. I never had a item from Sitka on me. Kuiu I had a light jacket just for glassing as it was way to dam loud to hunt in but very warm, light and packable. Quality baselayers, merino wool outers and a rain garment is all you need for sept elk Imo. Very light, packable clothing. As a matter of fact I'll say here and now, a very good woodsman who knows what he's doing can wear cotton in sept. chasing elk....and thats taboo in the modern elk hunters way of thinking. My god, you got elk hunters hunting with an outfitter, never getting out of sight with a guide all day, driving in and out on a side by side, eating home cooked meals at the lodge and there all wearing head to toe Sitka, Kuiu etc. Sitka, Kuiu etc are great clothing items for the hunter who wants to buy them. But there is clothing to wear for ANYONE for less money if they want to spend less. And you will not be sacrificing ANYTHING that will cost you in any way as it pertains to your hunt.

So go buy Sitka if you have the need/funds. Or get an alternative if you so desire.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/07/21 05:15 PM

Makes sense on why you got stuck on hunting waders. , waders are waders. Longevity will always mean more then features. Eventually you will end up picking up some non-insulated stocking waders to add to your arsenal. When you do, put simms on yours list to try. Night in day difference walking and getting in and out of boats.

In Alaska, For light crossing hip boots work alright, floating the river not so much. Now late season duck hunts, you won’t hardly see a pair of light or mid weight breathables.

See, I'll always wear non insulated breathables. It's cheaper to run those than have multiple pairs. I'm sure I'll pick a bank up pair soon though. I'll be hunting next weekend in the single digits, so I'll let you know how the breathables and sitka work, you know just to be obnoxious.
Teal in 90 degree weather to single digits geese i need something to do it all.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/07/21 06:49 PM

See, I'll always wear non insulated breathables. It's cheaper to run those than have multiple pairs. I'm sure I'll pick a bank up pair soon though. I'll be hunting next weekend in the single digits, so I'll let you know how the breathables and sitka work, you know just to be obnoxious.
Teal in 90 degree weather to single digits geese i need something to do it all.

In sub freezing the benefits is more in the insulated boots, than the waders. There's some pretty remarkable wader pants on market.
Posted By: Robspinn

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/07/21 07:13 PM

I've heard the Sitka guys raving over the Sitka core body heater. I haven't seen one yet. Have y'all tried it yet?

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/07/21 08:06 PM

Wow this thread really got going,lol.

Some good information, I appreciate almost everyone’s input, just want to point out a few things to consider.

I never said I was against Sitka, have not ruled them out either but on Sitkas own website people complain about leaking waders and terrible customer service so Kwood please explain...

If you read my original post I asked for those that have over 100 uses to let me know, have yet to see many responses from very many with over 100 uses in a pair of Sitkas but I’m all ears.

If it’s a tried and true product that lasts I’m still open to them. Everyone I know that has them hunt less the entire season than I do in a week or two which is why I posed the question.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/07/21 08:34 PM

Any pair of breathable waders will eventually leak, it's the nature of the beast being a somewhat fragile material. It's a trade of though, who wants to wear 7mm neoprene in 80 degree weather? Stretched crotch seams are probably the worst. But sitka is the only fully serviceable wader on the market, that includes the boots.
Their customer service is top notch, but right now it is very slow. If I'm correct, they are trying to move into a new building, and all of customer service is working from home. With waterfowl season they got slammed, so it just takes time. Before covid they were very prompt though.

I honestly used to be one of the anti sitka guys, and bought one piece to see what the hype was about. After that I realized it wasn't hype. I started acquiring more, and now I'm almost straight sitka. It's worth it imo. The good thing with them too is they hold incredible resale, at least 80%. The waders can be sold for 90% value, if not more, if you don't like them. Their stuff is more of an investment unlike some other stuff.

The main reason I push people to try it is because it is expensive, and it's better to start acquiring it now versus buying other brands, then getting into sitka. You've essentially wasted money if you go that route.
I'm just a passionate person that believes in the best, and over the internet it probably looks overbearing when it's just passion.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/07/21 09:34 PM

Here is another thing to consider to the group as a whole - do you take care of your equipment? If I get muddy or bloody or every time I'm in saltwater I typically just rinse with a hose to they "look" clean. I noticed my goretex waders (Simms) and jacket (Sitka) didn't seem to be repelling water as they once did. They looked soaked, but I was still dry. Quick google search and I washed them per the instructions. The amount or dirt and grime in the water was pretty gross. I did this in Mama's bathtub. Luckily she wasn't home at the time. Especially from inside of the waders. All this dirt/sweat/bug spray/oils deters the breathability and water repellency. Once I cleaned them and the applied DWR water started beading off again. No matter what gear you use, taking care of it properly will help in the longevity. Link to the Simms wader care - https://www.simmsfishing.com/discover/stories/wader-care-and-repair

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/08/21 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Robspinn
I've heard the Sitka guys raving over the Sitka core body heater. I haven't seen one yet. Have y'all tried it yet?

I have not. But I did get the Gradient Pant this last year. It has that wooly liner on the inside and sitkas elastic type material on the outside. Super warm and comfy. Like wearing a pair of house shoes for jeans! lol. I cant see needing anymore than that on my lower body.
They also have a elastic strap on the bottom that goes around the bottom of your foot, which means no more tight rolling jeans and tucking them in my socks to put waders on!
Posted By: garrett

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/09/21 03:00 PM

last year I bought the cheapest pair of waders off amazon for $50, I wore them, I hunted in them, and I didnt shoot anything,

this year i decided to get some real duck hunters waders and got sitkas, i wore them, i hunted in them, I shot a stud GWT/Mallard cross. Later that night i slept in them they were so comfortable. In my dreams that night i shot twice as many ducks than in my normal dreams.

hate all you want, proof is in the pudding.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/09/21 11:00 PM

Finally I'm sold on sitka. Someone give Garrett a prostaff position.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/09/21 11:13 PM

roflmao you would makehuntinggreatagain Instagram account

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/10/21 03:54 AM

Hey Bobo your Sims breathable non insulated boot wader idea would be perfect for hunting the rivers in KS this weekend......... roflmao

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/10/21 06:27 PM

Did anyone wear Gator Insulated waders this past season? Just curious how they hold up. From just a look, they look like an identical build as Banded 2.0 waders, which most have us know have been horrible for leaking.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/10/21 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by BarneyWho

Hey Bobo your Sims breathable non insulated boot wader idea would be perfect for hunting the rivers in KS this weekend......... roflmao

Why would I wear breathable waders Jan in KS when I have 1800gr Mack’s neo’s? Not sure we had more then 5 days of weather cold enough this year in Texas where you wouldnt sweat to death in insulated waders. Not sure I following.

Google Sitka core body heater.. it’s funny

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/10/21 08:19 PM

[Linked Image]

Id bet all I got that sinkey loves his.

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/10/21 08:23 PM

[Linked Image]

Id bet all I got that sinkey loves his.

Looks like something you and your boyfriends play with at camp! rifle roflmao
Posted By: john paul

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/10/21 09:51 PM

After 3 years I finally had a leak around one boot seam of my Sitka waders and they sent them back free of charge with a brand new set of boots. Took about 4 weeks to get them back to me.
Posted By: nacgoat08

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/11/21 02:34 PM

Boy that escalated quickly....but it looks like Simms is offering "Made to order" G3 Guide bootfoot waders...even in camo. Allow 4-6 weeks for delivery, and you're still gonna pay:

-Small - 2XL Regular - $749.95 (Cinder), $799.95 (Riparian Camo)
-XXL Short, XXL King, XXL Long - $799.95 (Cinder), $849.95 (Riparian Camo)
-3XL, 3XL Short - $824.95 (Cinder), $874.95 (Riparian Camo)
-4XL - $899.95 (Cinder), $949.95 (Riparian Camo)

https://www.simmsfishing.com/bootfoot-waders

Re: Lets talk waders - 02/11/21 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
Did anyone wear Gator Insulated waders this past season? Just curious how they hold up. From just a look, they look like an identical build as Banded 2.0 waders, which most have us know have been horrible for leaking.

Just finished my 2nd season with my pair. Overall pretty satisfied. Note:....my current pair replaced the original I baught 3 years ago and they leaked. The boot on the first pair was the thinner, dark material....thin but real comfy. The newer pair has a real nice beefed up green boot. Comfy to wear also. The original pair leaked in the a$$ though, not the boot. Not sure if they made the seams different in the upper when they changed out the boots. But I've got almost 60 days on them.....and I'm my own retriever also, gotta go get my birds as I have no dog and I've busted thru lots of chit chasing down a wounded mallard.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum