Texas Hunting Forum

Question for the duck hunters

Posted By: SB9969

Question for the duck hunters - 01/11/21 04:39 PM

Im not a duck hunter so figured Id ask you that are a question. We have a 4 acre lake on our property near Gatesville. The first 10-12 years we owned the place we would have 100 plus ducks on it this time of year in the morning and evenings usually from Thanksgiving forward. The last few we are lucky to see 15-20 most days, if that, usually just 4-6 of the diving ducks. Nothing about the lake has changed and just curious what may be the reason they haven't been here the last few years. We don't hunt on it so its not we are scaring them off.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Question for the duck hunters - 01/11/21 04:50 PM

I have been hunting for 20 years or so and I am seeing less every year also
Posted By: wacoducks

Re: Question for the duck hunters - 01/11/21 04:51 PM

Weather based mostly. This winter has been abnormally warm so they have no reason to migrate this far south. As said above there are less and less birds every year it seems like.
Posted By: SB9969

Re: Question for the duck hunters - 01/11/21 04:53 PM

Thanks I wondered if it was weather related or maybe a decrease in ducks for now. This has only been the case 3-4 years that it fell off so dramatically.
Posted By: Perkjerker

Re: Question for the duck hunters - 01/12/21 12:28 AM

another consideration is the migration pattern has moved more west. Used to see a whole lot more ducks in southern oklahoma. I think its a combination of lack of food and not being on the duck highway.
Posted By: Perkjerker

Re: Question for the duck hunters - 01/12/21 12:29 AM

lived in west texas in the late 80's and didnt see near the birds I see out there now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum