Texas Hunting Forum

New to duck hunting, public areas on the coast

Posted By: HTXdude123

New to duck hunting, public areas on the coast - 12/19/20 09:01 PM

I have never hunted the Texas coast and have been looking at the public hunting land maps for 2020-2021. I'm trying to go to some areas in Brazoria county. I have been fishing that area for years and have heard shots and have seen blinds in the marshes at places such as eckerd bayou, swan lake, salt lake, drum bay, ect. Looking through the public maps though I don't see anything on these areas for hunting. But it seems people hunt there. Does anyone here with more experience know where we can and cannot duck hunt? I am a kayaker and that is probably how I will get to duck spots in the marsh. I don't want to hunt somewhere I'm not allowed though. Any help or links about where it is legal to waterfowl hunt in the general surfside/freeport and even Galveston areas would be much appreciated! Not expecting anyone to give away their spots or honey-holes. Just want to know of the public land guidebook shows the only places I can hunt.
Posted By: RGVshooter

Re: New to duck hunting, public areas on the coast - 12/20/20 11:07 PM

I live near SPI and I know there's a couple islands that pop up near boca chica beach that we can hunt on according to a few TPWD I spoke with. They're not listed because they're only visible this time of the year when the tides are very low. I would check into it before heading out.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: New to duck hunting, public areas on the coast - 12/20/20 11:31 PM

Good luck sir
Posted By: HTXdude123

Re: New to duck hunting, public areas on the coast - 12/21/20 01:36 AM

OP here, after a bit of research I realized this was a dumb question to ask. I had no knowledge of the various WMA's and similar areas as they're not in the texas public land booklet. Thanks for the responses I did get though.
Posted By: Fowlhunter25

Re: New to duck hunting, public areas on the coast - 12/26/20 03:06 AM

I used to live in danbury and would go put in at the at the ramp on 2918 by the San bernard River and hunt cow trap. If you do end up hunting in there make sure you watch for oyster reefs when first turning in, it can get pretty hairy if you've never run through there before especially on low tide. Its got some nice spots if you have the right kind of boat to get to them, surface drive or air boat. You should be able to find a map of it bc there are some areas in there that you can't hunt
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: New to duck hunting, public areas on the coast - 12/26/20 04:35 AM

Welcome
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum