Texas Hunting Forum

Different shot size in same shell?

Posted By: Troy king

Different shot size in same shell? - 12/15/20 05:48 PM

I've seen manufacturers like hevi steel and boss make loads with different size shot in them and it just seems to me that if you have a size 3 and 5 shot in the same load your shot string would be a lot longer because one shot is going to physically be faster than the other... Am I wrong in my thinking?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Different shot size in same shell? - 12/15/20 06:03 PM

They are both launched from the same cup/wad at the same speed. I think it would be minimal.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Different shot size in same shell? - 12/15/20 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
They are both launched from the same cup/wad at the same speed. I think it would be minimal.

I think so too. We're talking <50 yards, it's probably not even statistically relevant at that range.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Different shot size in same shell? - 12/15/20 06:17 PM

I fooled with a mix of heavy shot and steel and also the old duplex loads when they first came out. I never got past the pattern board though. I never found a load that patterns suited me enough to hunt with and gave up on it.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Different shot size in same shell? - 12/15/20 06:21 PM

They leave the barrel at the same speed. What will be different is the energy they carry. Also, the rate at which they lose velocity, which is irrelevant at reasonable shooting distances.
Posted By: Troy king

Re: Different shot size in same shell? - 12/15/20 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by redchevy

I think so too. We're talking <50 yards, it's probably not even statistically relevant at that range.

That probably sums it up pretty good.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Different shot size in same shell? - 12/15/20 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Troy king
I've seen manufacturers like hevi steel and boss make loads with different size shot in them and it just seems to me that if you have a size 3 and 5 shot in the same load your shot string would be a lot longer because one shot is going to physically be faster than the other... Am I wrong in my thinking?

Ive wondered the same thing with their #3/5 blend. I know some guys in Oklahoma using them and they swear by them. But they are getting alot more mixed bags of ducks and geese compared to what I get around here.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Different shot size in same shell? - 12/15/20 08:20 PM

Interesting read here mentions duplex loads and talks about stacked loads.

https://www.wildfowlmag.com/editorial/a-closer-look-at-migra-ammo/380421
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum