Texas Hunting Forum

Waterfowl jacket

Posted By: dk2429

Waterfowl jacket - 10/29/20 12:30 AM

Yeah I know, Drake and Sitka.

I found a Drake that I really liked at an ideal price point. It's one of the ones that you wear under waders (the bottom half of it is that wool material stuff)

Do y'all have another jacket you wear OVER your waders if it rains? I want to get a nice jacket for this season.. I'm a wuss, I get cold too easy grin

Thanks
Posted By: 68A

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/29/20 01:07 AM

You gonna get upset when someone tells you something other than what your mind is set on and then drag on about it?

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/29/20 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by 68A
You gonna get upset when someone tells you something other than what your mind is set on and then drag on about it?

If you think I'm about spend $300+ on a jacket then you're high.

I already got the one I wanted, my question is a simple yes or no answer....

I truly appreciate the info I get on here.. The only time I have a problem is when I say I'm on a budget and everything recommended is very clearly way over that....
Posted By: booskay

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/29/20 02:13 AM

Get an army surplus field coat,,, that's what I use.

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/29/20 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by booskay
Get an army surplus field coat,,, that's what I use.

Thank you sir, I'll check em out up
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/29/20 03:18 AM

Sitka's delta wading jacket. It's just a waterproof shell, but I'm sure you can find a used one for that price.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/29/20 10:52 AM

Yes
Posted By: rickym

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/29/20 12:02 PM

Yes
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/29/20 12:47 PM

I have the cabela's wading parka or whatever it is. Inside jacket and a outer shell. Has worked great for me the last four years.
Posted By: Jaydub

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/29/20 01:10 PM

Years ago I bought a light Columbia rain jacket in a dark hardwood pattern. I would wear my normal jacket, which was a marsh pattern, under my waders and if I was hunting timber I would just wear the rain jacket on top. It gave me options on pattern and how to wear itl.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/29/20 01:14 PM

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-phg-widgeon-wader-shell-jacket-1618691.html

Critically seam sealed, I seldom wear liner because it's too hot.

From Stx monsoons to brutal beating of Upper Chesapeake, it's treated me well
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/29/20 02:10 PM

Id go with simms b4 I went with sitka. Get ya a g3 wading jacket in their riparian camo
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/29/20 02:12 PM

Here's my take on it. I mainly wear Sitka now for a reason. It wears thin which means you can layer better under your waders without feeling like a puff ball. I rarely even hunt with my jacket. Which is the Hudson. With that being said, Ive owned all the other jackets. Drake makes good stuff but has always felt heavy on. Cabelas 3in1 jacket is not the same anymore since they went cheaper material and is not made by Herter's. Columbia, mentioned above makes real good stuff too. I wore that as a kid in Arkansas and it always kept me warm and dry.
I still carry my old outer shell to my Herter's Cabelas jacket in my truck. It's like an old penny. Cant get rid of it.
Posted By: TDH

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/29/20 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
Originally Posted by 68A

If you think I'm about spend $300+ on a jacket then you're high.

I already got the one I wanted, my question is a simple yes or no answer....

I truly appreciate the info I get on here.. The only time I have a problem is when I say I'm on a budget and everything recommended is very clearly way over that....

Spend $300 now for a jacket that will last 10+ years or buy a $100 jacket every year or so when it quits being warm and waterproof...……….who is high now?
I have a 10X GoreTex parka that is almost 30 years old that I paid $300 for when I bought it new - still does a fine job keeping you dry unless it is a deluge.
Posted By: Windrider

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/30/20 12:05 AM

I’m wearing a Filson waterfowl jacket that is 12 or so years old. I don’t really remember. It’s advantage wetlands, but I’m sure I bought it this century. You can pick them up on eBay lightly used for half or retail or less.

I can probably get another dozen years out of this one at the 30-50 days a year I waterfowl hunt.

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/30/20 02:15 AM

Take a look at natural gear, they have some good jackets that reasonably priced.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/30/20 02:36 AM

I’ve had a Columbia jacket for over 10 years and wear it for all types of hunting. It has an inner jacket that zips in or out, with a nice hood. All goretex and thinsulate. Water still beads up after all these years. I think it’s called an omniquad or widgeon or something like that.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/30/20 04:24 AM

Buy the Delta wading jacket

I hate my drake coat now. I bought a Sitka duck oven and it's better fitting, way lighter and way warmer. The duck oven just isn't 100% water proof like the delta however I wore in a pretty good drizzle Last year and was completely dry.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/30/20 12:53 PM

If its real cold or raining, I wear this - https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-phg-widgeon-quad-parka-1625561.html
Posted By: Jaydub

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/30/20 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-phg-widgeon-wader-shell-jacket-1618691.html

Critically seam sealed, I seldom wear liner because it's too hot.

From Stx monsoons to brutal beating of Upper Chesapeake, it's treated me well

I bought one back in the late 90's in the Delta Marsh pattern, I finally handed it down to my son and he still wears it. I didn't realize you could still buy them.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/30/20 02:58 PM

I suppose I'm in the minority here, but I always wear my jacket over my waders. I rarely hunt water more than waste deep.

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/30/20 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper
I suppose I'm in the minority here, but I always wear my jacket over my waders. I rarely hunt water more than waste deep.

I use to as well, then I found out by putting the waders over the jacket you will stay much warmer.
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/30/20 03:34 PM

Layer, Layer, Layer....... Just spent 5 days up in North Dakota, 3 of which it never got above freezing with 8 degree low and up to 20 mph winds. Keep moisture away and you will be fine. I can't remember the last time my core was cold. Good base layers, socks, and gloves. Depending on where/how you hunt you can get away with normal ski gear that is cheaper and dual use.

steepandcheap.com
moosejaw.com

When in the truck and setting up don't have all your gear on.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/30/20 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
Originally Posted by LarryCopper

I use to as well, then I found out by putting the waders over the jacket you will stay much warmer.

Gotcha, I have the opposite problem. By the time the sun is up I'm usually on the verge of being too hot, so I'll often unzip my jacket. By the time I'm picking up dekes I'm usually taking it off. Nothing worse than sweating when it's cold out.

I don't even own a pair of neoprene waders anymore. Like said above, I do layer up a lot tho.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Waterfowl jacket - 10/30/20 10:43 PM

sportsmansguide has their jackets on sale right now, for the price they are very good jackets.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum