Texas Hunting Forum

Need Shotgun Advice - Please help!

Posted By: kcrump88

Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 03:21 PM

Going on my first (of hopefully many) bird hunt this January, for Goose and Pheasant. I need to buy a shotgun and start getting some reps in with it. Can y'all give me some advice on a high quality semi-auto 12ga? I've hear the Beretta A400 is great, and the Stoeger M3500 is very good. Not much else. Shot a Browning Maxus the other day and it felt pretty good. I need all the help I can get, so thanks in advance.
Posted By: Gary Willmann

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 03:28 PM

Beretta and never look back.
Posted By: mx3p4

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 03:38 PM

Beretta is best overall. Browning is good but Benelli M2 is best. Benelli will cost you $$$$ as well Beretta A400. Benelli is recoil operated so I think it kicks more. Beretta is gas but it too is $$$$ unless you can find a A300. You shouldn't need a 3 1/2 in. chamber unless you are pass shooting. Don't just call Cabela's or Bass pro, get ahold of the manager and he can make you a deal.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 03:53 PM

Look at the SBE, I been shooting my SBE2 since 2008 and love it. It’s been a great gun, it holds 3 and half inch shells, I never use them but good to have if you are in a situation where you need to take long shots.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 04:59 PM

If you find the recoil operated action to your liking check out the Franchi Affinity 3, they make them in 3 and 31/2 models and they are a little less than $1K.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 05:08 PM

Recoil operated is the way to roll.
Posted By: longtalltexan

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 05:16 PM

After 25 years I bought a new shotgun last season. I've always been a Remington guy, but they don't produce the same quality they once did. I wanted to avoid inertia guns, as I am getting older and recoil wears me out now. I settled on a Beretta a300 Outlander. Checked all the boxes for me. I found one on GunBroker.com. After FFL transfer and tax, it ran just under $600 (even with DRT Tru-Timber finish). I would happily have gotten an a400, but the money was prohibitive (Nearly, $900 more). I used some of the money I saved to pickup a Briley bolt release, bolt handle and a couple of extended chokes.
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 05:22 PM

https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...gauge-auto-for-sale-650-obo#Post13716787

Here you go and don't look back! An A400 like you suggested above is also great and if you need less recoil the kickoff system is great too. These guns just run and run! I teach youth to shoot a lot and this is my choice hands down! An older 870 before Remington got cheap would be my second choice. Not an automatic but again you pull the trigger and it goes boom no matter what! I have always told my son you want a gun you can paddle the boat with if you have to and then pick it up and kill birds with it!
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 05:46 PM

Go shoulder some guns and see what fits you best. Length of pull is pretty standard and normally fits close enough for all adults. The biggest issue is how you eye lines up with the bead/rib of the gun.

I really don't believe anyone makes a bad gun these days. Typically the 3 B's are considered the best and will hold their value if you ever decide to sell.

I've been shooting browning gold hunters since the late 90s, I have 3 of them and have been very happy with them.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 06:03 PM

IMO there isn't really a "bad" gun made these days. It all comes down to your budget and what shoulders best for you.

I shot a M3500 for years. Killed plenty of ducks and geese with it. It's too damn heavy to carry around for pheasant hunting - in my opinion. It hasn't left the gun safe in several years. It would make an excellent choice if you intended to beat them to death though.

I'm a big fan of Franchi. Can't go wrong with any of the B guns, but $$$
Posted By: Mr. Jeem

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 06:55 PM

Skip the 3 1/2" idea and get a Beretta A300. It will be 1/2 the price of a A400. Spend the extra money on gear and shells.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 07:05 PM

Get a Benelli Nova pump. They are cheap. See if you like shooting birds. You may, and you may not. Shot it for a year or so then bump up to a better gun if you like it.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 07:35 PM

Get a Beretta A400 12 gauge, 28". Fastest & lightest 12 gauge available, at least it was when it came out. Shoots 2-3/4 - 3-1/2".
Posted By: Greg

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 08:19 PM

Can't really go wrong with any of the "B" guns. I bought a benelli M1 Super 90 in 2000 and it's the best I have ever owned. It fits me well and shoots everything I have ever fed it. It's not a "cheap" investment, so you should go look at several and see how they fit/feel to you. Good luck and have fun!
Posted By: nak

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 10:10 PM

Beretta A400...unless you can find a used AL391.The AL391 are are a better gun IHMO.

It is true that the inertia guns require a little less cleaning, but the Beretta gas guns go 2 - 4 CASES (500 -1000 rounds) before they need to be cleared. The easier recoil worth it.
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 10:15 PM

I used a Benelli Nova (pump) for about 10 years. Solid gun. Never a hiccup. I would still be using it if my boss hadn’t cleaned out his safe and gave me a BNIB Beretta A300. Going on my 2nd season with it. Another good gun.
Posted By: Windrider

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/05/20 10:31 PM

Beretta, Benelli, or Browning.

Honorable mention Franchi.
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/06/20 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by longtalltexan
After 25 years I bought a new shotgun last season. I've always been a Remington guy, but they don't produce the same quality they once did. I wanted to avoid inertia guns, as I am getting older and recoil wears me out now. I settled on a Beretta a300 Outlander. Checked all the boxes for me. I found one on GunBroker.com. After FFL transfer and tax, it ran just under $600 (even with DRT Tru-Timber finish). I would happily have gotten an a400, but the money was prohibitive (Nearly, $900 more). I used some of the money I saved to pickup a Briley bolt release, bolt handle and a couple of extended chokes.

Exact same approach I took. All the gun you need and budget friendly.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/06/20 01:26 AM

Benelli M2.
Buy boss ammo and you won't need anymore than their 2³/⁴" #5. If you want more pop, get their #3s
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/06/20 12:14 PM

I will say I love my post 14' browning A5. Same action as the SBE2. Flawless with any shell you can buy.
Posted By: My Time to Hunt

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/06/20 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by mx3p4
Beretta is best overall. Browning is good but Benelli M2 is best. Benelli will cost you $$$$ as well Beretta A400. Benelli is recoil operated so I think it kicks more. Beretta is gas but it too is $$$$ unless you can find a A300. You shouldn't need a 3 1/2 in. chamber unless you are pass shooting. Don't just call Cabela's or Bass pro, get ahold of the manager and he can make you a deal.

X2

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/06/20 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by longtalltexan

Something I failed to mention about my Beretta a300; So far, it doesn't like any shells under 1 1/4 ounce load. It does mention this in the manual, that at least 1 1/4 ounce is needed for break-in. I forgot about this on my first trip to the range, and it flat would not cycle 1 1/8 Winchester AA's. I was planning to shoot RIO ammo in the field this season anyway, (their stuff is at least 1 1/4 ounce). It eats them up with no problems. With that said, I don't know if its broken-in, or not. I haven't tried anything else through it yet. If I have a chance to try a smaller load, I will update here with the results.

According to the interwebs, your results may vary on this issue.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 02:59 AM

If you don't have a budget, for sure the Benelli SBE3.

I'd run a Stoeger M3500 before I spent a penny on a clanky and janky Beretta. Have shot/used the A400 and A300 Outlander, didn't like either of them. Now every Benelli I've shot, up up up Stoeger's are damn near close to the feel of a Benelli for half the price. And I'd run a Stoeger before a Beretta.

But yeah for sure go for a Benelli auto.. Either SBE3 or the M2 if you don't care about 3 1/2" shells. I run a Remington Versamax that I absoutely love.. Didn't have the money nor the willingness to dish out $2000 on a Benelli, especailly since I got the Versamax for damn near half off brand new!

But yeah... My vote is Benelli all the way..

1- Benelli
2- Remington (the V3 or the Versamax... the other new Remingtons are junk)
3- Stoeger
4- Winchester SX4
5- Beretta

But with that said, the reality of it is since it's gonna be your first time bird hunting, just get a 870 or Mossberg 500 pump! You ain't gotta start with the biggest and baddest gun. I started with a Winchester 1300 12 gauge pump that I picked up for $230 as my first duck gun, after being preached on here that I had to absolutely get an A400 or SBE3 to kill a bird.... I shot many of ducks with that 1300 no problem. Now that I know that I'm hooked, I went ahead and upgraded.

My friend still shoots a rusty and crusty Mossberg 500 and doesnt do any worse than I do!
Posted By: 68A

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by dk2429

I'd run a Stoeger M3500 before I spent a penny on a clanky and janky Beretta. Have shot/used the A400 and A300 Outlander, didn't like either of them. Now every Benelli I've shot, up up up Stoeger's are damn near close to the feel of a Benelli for half the price. And I'd run a Stoeger before a Beretta.

But yeah for sure go for a Benelli auto.. Either SBE3 or the M2 if you don't care about 3 1/2" shells. I run a Remington Versamax that I absoutely love.. Didn't have the money nor the willingness to dish out $2000 on a Benelli, especailly since I got the Versamax for damn near half off brand new!

1- Benelli
3- Stoeger
4- Winchester SX4
5- Beretta

But with that said, the reality of it is since it's gonna be your first time bird hunting, just get a 870 or Mossberg 500 pump! You ain't gotta start with the biggest and baddest gun. I started with a Winchester 1300 12 gauge pump that I picked up for $230 as my first duck gun, after being preached on here that I had to absolutely get an A400 or SBE3 to kill a bird.... I shot many of ducks with that 1300 no problem. Now that I know that I'm hooked, I went ahead and upgraded.

My friend still shoots a rusty and crusty Mossberg 500 and doesnt do any worse than I do!

May be mistaken but, werent you just on here a couple of months ago saying you were new to autoloaders and asking which one to buy? I believe you may have gotten frustrated that no one would vouch for the Remington you were sold on. A lot of new found experience, huh?

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 02:06 PM

I will say this about Beretta's......I have seen alot of them freeze up and jam up in the blind. I had a 391 years back and like said above, it only liked certain loads through it. Money well spent is for sure on Benelli.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 68A

1- Benelli
3- Stoeger
4- Winchester SX4
5- Beretta

May be mistaken but, werent you just on here a couple of months ago saying you were new to autoloaders and asking which one to buy? I believe you may have gotten frustrated that no one would vouch for the Remington you were sold on. A lot of new found experience, huh?

Not mistaken, that would be me!

Theres doubt in my mind, I'd love a SBE3 Benelli! Benelli is the smoothest shotgun I've ever handled, and I've hunted with an M2 and A400.

But, I got a brand new Versamax for half off which is over half the price of a Benelli. It was a no brainer.

I've put at least over 1000 rounds through it already at the range and not one single FTE on all shell sizes and load sizes. So as of now I'm more than happy with it and the fact that I saved $1500.

But my statement still stands.. I'd run a Stoeger or SX4 before I spent any kind of penny on a Beretta . I tried real hard to make myself like the A300 Outlander cause everyone was saying that its Gods gun. Couldn't do it though. Felt no better than a Yildiz.

When/if I get a B gun, its gonna be Benelli or Browning.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 02:16 PM

Just keep your goal of "high quality semi-auto 12ga" in mind. Beretta, Benelli, Browning fall into this category, there are several others. One recommendation that I would make is to go by Scheels, it is one of the few stores where you don't have to ask a salesperson to hand you each shotgun. They also have most of the guns mentioned here and it might help you speed up your decision. You don't have to buy the gun there although they seemed to have pretty decent prices. Also, go to Elm Fork if you can, you can rent and shoot some of the guns mentioned here.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 03:07 PM

No mention of Retay here, anyone have any experience with them?
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 03:41 PM

To the OP, since you mentioned Browning and Beretta I'm assuming price isn't your primary concern. That being said, you should do some research to narrow down reliable guns. That's what you're doing here, great. Like is said often around here, you can't go wrong with a B gun (Benelli, Beretta, or Browning). Go to your local retailer that carries all that you have on your list and shoulder them all. Sometimes the feel is a lot better or worse than you would imagine. Pick the one that naturally feels the best. I did this same thing thinking I wanted a Browning but the SBE2 felt perfect so I went with it.

Then, go home and hop online. I went to GunBroker and waited until I found a good deal - camo never shot for $1,200. Deals can be found if you're patient. What you save on taxes more than makes up the FFL and shipping cost.

And you mention Stoeger. I know a guy that bought his son one when he stepped up to a 12 ga. He is now shooting it over his Vinci because he has a hard time with the Benelli LOL. He has only had it a few months, but so far this dove season it has been performing well. The main difference being that if you buy a cheaper gun, in general the odds of getting a turd are higher because the manufacturing shortcuts are what makes them cheaper. You can still get an expensive turd, but your odds are a lot lower. There are tons of people that are very happy with their less expensive guns. They rolled the dice and it paid off for them. I'd rather not gamble on it tho, just my two cents.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper
To the OP, since you mentioned Browning and Beretta I'm assuming price isn't your primary concern. That being said, you should do some research to narrow down reliable guns. That's what you're doing here, great. Like is said often around here, you can't go wrong with a B gun (Benelli, Beretta, or Browning). Go to your local retailer that carries all that you have on your list and shoulder them all. Sometimes the feel is a lot better or worse than you would imagine. Pick the one that naturally feels the best. I did this same thing thinking I wanted a Browning but the SBE2 felt perfect so I went with it.

Then, go home and hop online. I went to GunBroker and waited until I found a good deal - camo never shot for $1,200. Deals can be found if you're patient. What you save on taxes more than makes up the FFL and shipping cost.

And you mention Stoeger. I know a guy that bought his son one when he stepped up to a 12 ga. He is now shooting it over his Vinci because he has a hard time with the Benelli LOL. He has only had it a few months, but so far this dove season it has been performing well. The main difference being that if you buy a cheaper gun, in general the odds of getting a turd are higher because the manufacturing shortcuts are what makes them cheaper. You can still get an expensive turd, but your odds are a lot lower. There are tons of people that are very happy with their less expensive guns. They rolled the dice and it paid off for them. I'd rather not gamble on it tho, just my two cents.

Larry brought up another good point. Go shoulder all of them in the store. One my feel better than the other to you.
Posted By: JABHunting

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 03:52 PM

The Stoeger 2000 series and 3000 series use the same action as the Benelli are are ridiculously reliable. Reasonably price too.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by JABHunting
The Stoeger 2000 series and 3000 series use the same action as the Benelli are are ridiculously reliable. Reasonably price too.

Kind of like the difference between a Toyota and a Lexus. Standing there with your hands in your pockets it's kind of a toss up, but when you sit down and turn the key you can tell the difference.

If price point is a concern the Stoeger by most accounts is a good option. Just not the same bells and whistles.

Ironically I drive a Toyota grin

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 04:10 PM

Stoeger M3000 is a heck of a value and extremely reliable. They've gained traction in 3-Gun competitions for a reason.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 05:31 PM

How do yall guys like the triger on your benellis? I have always found them to be to stiff, but I've always liked a light trigger.
Posted By: TBS12

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
How do yall guys like the triger on your benellis? I have always found them to be to stiff, but I've always liked a light trigger.

I don't notice a difference between mine and when shooting my buddies browning or my Remington 1100.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 07:21 PM

I sent mine to Rob Roberts in Arkansas and had trigger work done to it. Alot smoother and less draw now.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 07:26 PM

I like the triggers on my Benelli's. Light triggers are for snowflakes, not shotguns.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/07/20 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by aerangis
I like the triggers on my Benelli's. Light triggers are for snowflakes, not shotguns.

Sorry about my language mods!

Please explain to me why you think lighter triggers are for snowflakes?
Posted By: kcrump88

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/14/20 01:13 AM

Thanks for all the input and advice! Y'all are awesome. I went and shouldered a bunch today and, to be honest, they all felt pretty similarly. There were some noticeable differences in weight that generally seemed to follow pricepoint, expectedly. I was, however, surprised that some of the higher end options didn't seem to shoulder as naturally or feel as comfortable as others (the Beretta A400 felt heavy and the Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 felt uncomfortably long). I wonder if this could have been a result of just some level of arm fatigue? Seems odd, but that's all I can come up with. Also, the A400 model they had in stock was a wood stock with a blue action/case - could that explain the heavier felt weight versus a synthetic stock?

That said, I didn't shoot any - just handled them in our local Academy and Gander. The Browning A5 felt the best, but I'll admit I just don't know what I'm feeling and what I really should want in a gun yet. Do any of y'all have any input or feelings on the A5?

Any other input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help.

Posted By: OTL91

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/14/20 02:58 AM

I have one of the modern era A5s. I went four years of hard hunting without ever cleaning the recoil spring in buttstock before it gave me issues. Cleaned that out with some degreaser and she’s good as new. It doesn’t like real low velocity dove loads but will shoot any shell that shoots 1300 FPS or greater. Make sure you keep your choke tube oiled as they are notorious for becoming stuck.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/14/20 02:11 PM

I had significant problems with the new redesigned A5 after the first year I owned it. Primarily the recoil spring corroding.

The upside with the new A5 is it's extremely light and accurate. Of course, accuracy doesn't mean much if the shotgun doesn't work. Search my posts from years past and you'll see a lengthy diatribe on the problems I had with that shotgun.

fwiw, I ditched it for a Super Vinci which has been trouble free and shoots everything I feed it reliably. Another good shotguns is the are the Benelli SBE, Franchi Affinity and Stoeger M3000.
Posted By: hogwart

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/25/20 02:07 AM

I have to admit I'm outa my class here.
I could never afford an expensive gun until quiet recently and by then I'd become comfortable with less popular makes. As in the cheapest available.

So I'm not going to recommend any make or model.

I wonder though is there a reason for wanting a semi-auto?

The reason I ask is while I was still learning to wing shoot I tried a pump shotgun, I had been using a break action and thought a pump might be a better option. To my mind it offered the chance for a second shot, which to me meant double the chance of hitting.

It didn't work out that way for me. What happened was I wound up rushing my first shot and missing because of that and couldn't get on a bird fast enough for a second shot.
So my already pathetic hit average got even worse.

Now I hunt with a Mossberg 190 bolt action 16 gauge. It's not a popular shotgun, never was, but I like bolt actions so I like it, and I can hit with it.
To my mind that's all that matters.

My advice, if you can afford the best on the shelf, no reason you shouldn't have it.
However, if you are on a budget I see no reason you should mortgage the farm to get more gun then you need.

Best advice in my book is practice practice practice.
If you can't hit with a break action hardware gun you won't likely do much better with a Purdey side by side.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/27/20 12:21 PM

I have nothing to real add to the conversation except from the philosophical bent. When I was a kid, the absolute cheapest shotgun anyone would be caught dead hunting with was a Mossberg. That was the bottom of the barrel. For whatever reason in South East Texas if you didn't have a Belgian made A-5 you was po folks, and not taken seriously as a hunter (even though I knew a lot of rednecks up to their eyeballs in hock so they could have that Browning in the F-150's gun rack). If you knew anyone who even had a Stoeger, it was a twin hammered sxs coach gun. Now, not only are they respectable brands, but very sought after.
Oh and for what it is worth, I have 3 autoloaders: a '60's model Remington 1100, that I inherited from my dad, a Beretta a300, and yes a Belgian made A-5.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/29/20 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Heath
I have nothing to real add to the conversation except from the philosophical bent. When I was a kid, the absolute cheapest shotgun anyone would be caught dead hunting with was a Mossberg. That was the bottom of the barrel. For whatever reason in South East Texas if you didn't have a Belgian made A-5 you was po folks, and not taken seriously as a hunter (even though I knew a lot of rednecks up to their eyeballs in hock so they could have that Browning in the F-150's gun rack). If you knew anyone who even had a Stoeger, it was a twin hammered sxs coach gun. Now, not only are they respectable brands, but very sought after.
Oh and for what it is worth, I have 3 autoloaders: a '60's model Remington 1100, that I inherited from my dad, a Beretta a300, and yes a Belgian made A-5.

When you were a kid..? Still exists today! If you don't run a SBE, A400, or an A5 you're a poor worthless sack of [censored] that can't hunt to save your life grin
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/30/20 11:11 AM

When you were a kid..? Still exists today! If you don't run a SBE, A400, or an A5 you're a poor worthless sack of [censored] that can't hunt to save your life grin

Key phrase "Belgian made"
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/30/20 12:14 PM

Key phrase "Belgian made"

”Japanese made” barrels are more relevant since steel friendly
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/30/20 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by kcrump88
Going on my first (of hopefully many) bird hunt this January, for Goose and Pheasant. I need to buy a shotgun and start getting some reps in with it. Can y'all give me some advice on a high quality semi-auto 12ga? I've hear the Beretta A400 is great, and the Stoeger M3500 is very good. Not much else. Shot a Browning Maxus the other day and it felt pretty good. I need all the help I can get, so thanks in advance.

The Maxus is a solid gun, but no way to put an extension tube on it for a goose conservation hunt.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/30/20 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hopedale

The Maxus is a solid gun, but no way to put an extension tube on it for a goose conservation hunt.

What am I missing? Why would a tube be necessary? Isn't three shots legal down there?
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/30/20 05:03 PM

Benelli M2
if you want to spend less, get the Franchi Affinity 3
basically the same gun...little different ergos.

if you feel you will need to shoot 3.5" shells, get the Benelli SBE II or the Franchi Affinity 3.5

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/30/20 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by hogwart
Originally Posted by Hopedale

What am I missing? Why would a tube be necessary? Isn't three shots legal down there?

During the snow goose conservation season there is no limit on the amount of shells your gun holds so guys put magazine extensions on their guns to maximize the number of shells they can shoot each volley.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/30/20 07:23 PM

Snows in Arkansas are like hogs in Texas. They eat and tear up everything in their path. Snows can take out a whole field just over night.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/30/20 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by mx3p4
Beretta is best overall. Browning is good but Benelli M2 is best.

12 words if you include m2 as a word, and you called two different guns the best?

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 10/31/20 09:29 PM

During the snow goose conservation season there is no limit on the amount of shells your gun holds so guys put magazine extensions on their guns to maximize the number of shells they can shoot each volley.

Cool, you guys have some common sense rules that we don't have.

Up here only three shells are allowed, ever. Including one in the chamber.
You can't carry a second shotgun, not even as backup.
No handguns for hunting, ever.
No discharging a firearm after dark, ever.
No full auto allowed, ever.

Now they added, no semi autos, ever.
No shotguns with removable chokes, ever.
No magazines with greater then three shot capacity, ever. Except .22 can have ten shot magazines.

And our country is lead by a part time drama teacher, rich kid wanna be ski bum.

You guys have it good down there.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 11/01/20 01:25 PM

Hogwart the no removable choke doesn't make sense, what's their logic behind that? The no semi's will be something to watch for for all the television guys who come to Alberta to make their shows .
By the way after Nov. 3 we may be in the same boat as y'all

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 11/01/20 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by RayB
Hogwart the no removable choke doesn't make sense, what's their logic behind that? The no semi's will be something to watch for for all the television guys who come to Alberta to make their shows .
By the way after Nov. 3 we may be in the same boat as y'all

The shotgun ban is about bore size. The max is 20mm. If one removes the choke the bore then exceeds the 20mm thus the gun becomes illegal.

I hope for your sake your government doesn't go down the same road ours has. There can be only one end to it, a total ban on all firearms.
Posted By: Chutist

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! - 11/01/20 07:37 PM

OP- the A5 is a hell of a good gun. You can't go wrong with any of the "B" guns.
I've hunted EVERYTHING since the 70's with a Rem 1100. I was visiting my brother and ended up going on a spur of the moment duck hunt. I shot his "back up" Super Black Eagle. Gotta say that I'll have an SBE3 before my next outing. smile

I'd give the SBE another maybe try but handle it first before your arms are tired? wink
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum