Texas Hunting Forum

Building the habitat

Posted By: Twisted Mallard HC

Building the habitat - 09/23/20 01:44 AM

I have 50 acres outside of ROCKWALL. Part of the land is in flood plain. I have been playing around in the back yard. I love waterfowl and all migrating birds. This has been a fun project. I guess you could say backyard hunting...Yes I have hunted public. Yes I have left at midnight to go claim my spot, Now I am in my 50’s I need to let young guns have that...

Enjoy....Nothing more rewarding...First 2 pics today...Last pic was from last years...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ken starling

Re: Building the habitat - 09/23/20 01:51 AM

Rocky, what all have you planted? I am interested in learning more for our place for next season.

Re: Building the habitat - 09/23/20 02:08 AM

I have tried several things. It takes 2 to 3 years and help from Mother Nature....I bought a wetlands mix from a place in Oregon...Then planting rice, all types of millet and hoping for the best. Mother Nature and pigs are biggest thing...
Posted By: Guy

Re: Building the habitat - 09/23/20 03:22 AM

What I love about private is controlling the habitat. That's cool Rockie. We poke fun about the private vs public, but that's all it is. up
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Building the habitat - 09/23/20 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Mallard HC
I have tried several things. It takes 2 to 3 years and help from Mother Nature....I bought a wetlands mix from a place in Oregon...Then planting rice, all types of millet and hoping for the best. Mother Nature and pigs are biggest thing...

I completely agree. We bought a place last year and got it planted. I have about 5 acres planted in Millet. about 1/2 of it is over knee high right now, and the other is between ankle and shin high. Growing slow due to drought. Just started coming up good the last 2 weeks due to rain finally. We put in a well and have to watch how much rain water we catch right now.

But I can agree.....our number 1 enemy are the pigs out there. We had to go as far as putting up an electric fence around our levys to keep the pigs out. Dang they are annoying.

Like how it looks Rockie.

Re: Building the habitat - 09/23/20 02:44 PM

Thanks man... I can drain them if I get to much water. I have a water source I can pump from but I have not had to do it so far....I have just had to keep my trap baited for pigs. I have caught 7 in the last few weeks. They can ruin my place in one night!
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Building the habitat - 09/23/20 03:01 PM

Looks like a salad bar for ducks
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Building the habitat - 09/23/20 07:09 PM

Looks like an awesome place, if you need help eradicating any pesky ducks give me a shout up
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Building the habitat - 09/24/20 02:36 AM

Looks great. Build it, and they will come. Got all of ours brushed last weekend.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Guy

Re: Building the habitat - 09/24/20 03:56 AM

Looks good Barney, shooting holes is the way to go, dropping doors don't work, l figured that out 10 years ago. We had fun with this blind...Moved it to 3 different spots, always wanted to float it so I could move it all around...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Building the habitat - 09/24/20 02:17 PM

Love that blind.....
Posted By: Teamjefe

Re: Building the habitat - 09/24/20 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by BarneyWho
Looks great. Build it, and they will come. Got all of ours brushed last weekend.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What happened to that corn on the ground?
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Building the habitat - 09/25/20 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Teamjefe
[quote=BarneyWho]What happened to that corn on the ground?

Sasquatch on a skagg!!!
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Building the habitat - 09/25/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by BarneyWho
Originally Posted by Teamjefe
[quote=BarneyWho]What happened to that corn on the ground?

Sasquatch on a skagg!!!

I was wondering the same thing. In the terms of "Green Jeans"....looks manipulated! roflmao
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: Building the habitat - 09/25/20 04:16 PM

popcorn
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum