Texas Hunting Forum

How did Labor Day weekend treat you?

Posted By: USMC89

How did Labor Day weekend treat you? - 09/07/20 01:08 AM

Friday evening I didn’t get to hunt due to storms. Saturday morning I saw a few high flyers and heard a few shots but not many. Saturday evening had one slip in and wasn’t ready. I only heard 4 other shots The rest of the evening was dead other than large flocks of black birds. Sunday morning was another bust and this evening saw only 1 flying high.

It sure has been peaceful the last few days in the fields though.

[Linked Image]

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/07/20 01:09 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/07/20 01:19 AM

Put the beer down buddy, it labor day weekend cheers

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/07/20 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
Put the beer down buddy, it labor day weekend cheers

Thank you cheers
Posted By: Stompy

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/07/20 01:49 AM

Been working before daylight to dark since Monday. Ready for a shower and sleep for two days.
Posted By: AMF

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/07/20 01:52 AM

A friend came over, cooked steaks in a cast iron skillet over a propane camp stove and helped me celebrate my 68th year on this planet.

Thank you, Jesus!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/07/20 01:56 AM

Our places were muddy, none flying to water.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/07/20 02:47 PM

My group hunted Archer City. It was terrible. Got out there Friday afternoon and shot the only bird that came my way. Saturday morning was the same. Saturday afternoon, we moved from sunflower fields over to tanks. Got 3 birds. Sunday morning it was evident everywhere in the are was dead because there were very few shots. Decided to call it early and head home.

I know the area was good on Tuesday and Wednesday, but everything was gone after that.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/07/20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Duke107
A friend came over, cooked steaks in a cast iron skillet over a propane camp stove and helped me celebrate my 68th year on this planet.

Thank you, Jesus!

Amen to that !
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/08/20 01:25 PM

Hunting was a bust in our area of central Texas. Hunted fields that are usually loaded, but this year, just a few high fliers or dove in the trees that weren't coming our way. Did almost step on a rattlesnake on Saturday morning and then Saturday afternoon got hit by a hornet or wasp (never saw it, just felt it) near my elbow. I must have gotten a good dose, cuz my arm swelled and was very stiff. Still a bit swollen, but better. Still, a great weekend hanging out and hunting with my 83 year old dad - good times!
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/08/20 01:50 PM

Had a great time in Coleman county. We had 2 days of shooting limits of doves.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/08/20 03:01 PM

I've killed 3 dove on 2 total hunts. Worst start to the dove season in my life. 1 opening day and 2 Sunday.
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/08/20 03:28 PM

We shot a few here and there but I did see Dry Creek Outfitters in Wichita Falls area shot 10,000 so they must've had birds in their fields!
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/08/20 03:32 PM

I shot 3 dove out of 4 seen in SW Young co. But I got a lot of beginning of season camp and stand maintenance done. It was peaceful. There were very few shots in the distance.
Posted By: xintx

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/08/20 04:51 PM

i (Dallas) tried to get out west to Breckenridge and east to Mt Vernon over the weekend, but both canceled due to lack of birds. So enjoyed a box of clays with my sons.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/08/20 05:14 PM

Was suppose to hunt in Hondo tomorrow, just got the call it’s canceled due to much needed rain on the way. Went local lease yesterday afternoon, had 1 pair come into range. Only one got away.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/08/20 05:30 PM

Great!

Shot some birds, spent time with my compadres, ran the dogs, ate some great Mexican food, had some drink, shot some clay birds, ate some BBQ.

perfecto

chicken
Posted By: HTXdude123

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/08/20 06:54 PM

This was my first time ever dove hunting and spent the whole weekend out at my friend's plac in central texas.. We shot 2-3 each on Friday night, my friends and I got 17 between the three of us Saturday morning, Saturday evening we got 6 more birds, and Sunday morning we got proabbly about 25 between 5 of us. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/08/20 06:56 PM

Decided to wait on weather change so haven't pulled out a shotgun yet this season. Did get feeders topped off and some maintenance on Labor Day.
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/08/20 07:12 PM

Saw very few at our leasein Archer County. My son shot the only 1 that flew close enough to shoot at. Still had a great time outdoors. As the saying goes " A bad day outdoors is still better than a good day indoors ".
Posted By: TxDiver

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/08/20 07:21 PM

Hunted our of Haskell all weekend. Cleaned up Saturday morning, limiting in under an hour. I think the birds headed out that night because Sunday & Monday we pretty slow. I got the job done both days, but it took mornings and evenings to do it.
Posted By: rickym

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/08/20 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by HTXdude123
This was my first time ever dove hunting and spent the whole weekend out at my friend's plac in central texas.. We shot 2-3 each on Friday night, my friends and I got 17 between the three of us Saturday morning, Saturday evening we got 6 more birds, and Sunday morning we got proabbly about 25 between 5 of us. [Linked Image]

Looks like a good weekend! Congrats!
Posted By: rickym

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/08/20 09:29 PM

Didn’t take a single shot Memorial Day weekend or Labor Day weekend.
Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/08/20 11:25 PM

Hunted a new area and wasn’t expecting much due to all the rain, but turned out good.
Probably get back after them Saturday
Posted By: nak

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/09/20 01:31 AM

I did pretty well in the rain on opening day. Could not make it out on Saturday. Got skunked on Sunday afternoon. Less than 6 shots heard between 4:00 and sun down. I only fired once, and it was a Hail Mary at almost 50 yards.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: How did memorial weekend treat you? - 09/09/20 04:34 AM

Like flush
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum