Texas Hunting Forum

Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting?

Posted By: decook

Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting? - 07/29/20 05:58 PM

I did and I know where I'll be on opening day. How 'bout you?
Posted By: HTXdude123

Re: Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting? - 07/29/20 08:23 PM

Unfortunately not. I move to the Austin area in a few weeks and am waiting to scout there.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting? - 07/30/20 04:32 PM

I am on some private properties, we have been out checking them for the last few weeks, Kind of changes drastically from day to day.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting? - 07/30/20 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
I am on some private properties, we have been out checking them for the last few weeks, Kind of changes drastically from day to day.

Exactly. Too early. Can't tell where they want to be four days from now, much less four weeks.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting? - 07/30/20 07:36 PM

With opening day on Tuesday, scouting may be difficult just before the hunt
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting? - 07/30/20 08:17 PM

I'm doing all my scouting online this year. Post up where the birds are at yalk
Posted By: decook

Re: Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting? - 07/31/20 08:13 PM

Its nice to see doves near where you want to hunt but they are the local birds right now. I'm looking to see what is planted around the fields at this point. Its more about that attracts the migration birds then anything else.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting? - 07/31/20 08:26 PM

Yup, scouting this early doesn't do much but get you excited or depressed.

2 weeks ago I had 50 dove daily, which is good for bare minimum food. Now, I've got squat, but had new ones show up this morning bc of the front.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting? - 07/31/20 09:11 PM

Nope, and I’m not going to scout. Have two properties to hunt and one is afternoon only. I know where I’ll be that morning and I’ll decide if I want to move.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting? - 08/01/20 12:01 AM

public hunting one time was enough for me
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting? - 08/03/20 12:44 AM

Too early for scouting. I like to scout a few days before opener.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting? - 08/03/20 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
Too early for scouting. I like to scout a few days before opener.

It gets us out of the house, drove this morning to 2 locations, spent half a day doing what we do best. Nothing.
Posted By: Creek Henry

Re: Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting? - 08/03/20 06:58 PM

I did some yesterday around fate... It's awfully dry which is sometimes good but all the crops are burned up
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting? - 08/04/20 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Creek Henry
I did some yesterday around fate... It's awfully dry which is sometimes good but all the crops are burned up

Corn does not make it long in Texas heat. Planted and harvested early. I have not seen any milo fields harvested. I dont think there is nearly as much milo planted as there once was. As a kid growing up around here is was cotton or milo. Now there is more corn and wheat. The dry weather will be good for the wheat fields. Too much rain and it will germinate and be no use to dove. I am not seeing many birds around Fate.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Public Dove Hunting, have you done your scouting? - 08/04/20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
Originally Posted by Creek Henry

Corn does not make it long in Texas heat. Planted and harvested early. I have not seen any milo fields harvested. I dont think there is nearly as much milo planted as there once was. As a kid growing up around here is was cotton or milo. Now there is more corn and wheat. The dry weather will be good for the wheat fields. Too much rain and it will germinate and be no use to dove. I am not seeing many birds around Fate.

Yes the sorghum crops have all but disappeared in north Texas. I've never wooped dove in corn like milo.

I remember cotton in Rockwall county. Last area I remember was Jacobs planting it in McClendon chisom. It's come back is set areas. See it in Collin hunt Hopkins delta Lamar. Can't believe nobody is planting non Rockwall. But I rarely run through there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum