Texas Hunting Forum

Geese & crane decoys in the same spread?

Posted By: HuntCrafted

Geese & crane decoys in the same spread? - 07/20/20 11:30 PM

I’ve run geese & duck deeks before (geese further up the bank) but not cranes & geese. Any suggestions? Got access to a property that has both coming in but haven’t hunted cranes before. Def more cranes than geese based on pics & scouting last fall.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Geese & crane decoys in the same spread? - 07/21/20 12:08 AM

Cranes are picky when it comes to dekes. The only success I've had outside of an outfitter is hunting with a buddy that has decoys made out of skinned cranes on foam cores. We've tried plastic dekes on the same hunts but the birds always flared before they got close.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Geese & crane decoys in the same spread? - 07/21/20 12:58 AM

Stuffers or deception decoys

You must be concealed!!!

Finding them on a fence row, culvert or off an irrigation pivot is your best bet.

You have to find cover of some kind.

Layouts in a cut field you might as well forget it..
Posted By: ken starling

Re: Geese & crane decoys in the same spread? - 07/21/20 01:16 AM

^^^^^^^^ what he says. Hunted over both (stuffers and Deception brand) with great success. Was always set up at a irrigation pivot, fence row or edge of crop field where field was cut and had tall grass on the either. Concealment is the key

Re: Geese & crane decoys in the same spread? - 07/21/20 01:40 AM

Makes sense. I was thinking layouts but now rethinking that. Sounds like just focus on the cranes? I was planning to get some dive bomb silos for both. How many deceptions min? Them suckers ain’t cheap.
Posted By: ken starling

Re: Geese & crane decoys in the same spread? - 07/21/20 01:56 AM

Guides normally use 2-3 dozen. You’re right they ain’t cheap. Seen people use solo’s as well. Just not experienced it personally. Did hunt geese over the Divebombs last year and they worked . Their cranes should work as well. Maybe mix Em up?
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Geese & crane decoys in the same spread? - 07/21/20 01:04 PM

dark geese and cranes like to hang together at times. put some fullbody specks with your crane decoys. you can buy deceptions and then run silosocks mixed in if you have a little wind.
Posted By: snogeese

Re: Geese & crane decoys in the same spread? - 07/21/20 05:50 PM

If possible, put your geese upwind. Don,t make the cranes fly over them coming to the decoys.

Re: Geese & crane decoys in the same spread? - 07/22/20 02:26 AM

Good info! Thx!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum