Texas Hunting Forum

New to hunting, best Shotgun???

Posted By: HTXdude123

New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/14/20 06:24 PM

I’ve duck hunted a few times in my life and had to borrow a gun from my friends. Now I am looking to buy my first shotgun. I want something that will work as an all around gun. Something I won’t be embarrassed of to dove hunt with my friends and will be fine for ducks down the marshes along the coast. My budget is fairly low, $600 max. So far my top few ideas are: the Benelli Nova or Supernova, Remington 870 express, and Winchester SXP. I have also looked at some budget brands like ATA and Tristar but I don’t know how reliable they are. Can someone give me some advice on what is a good all around migratory bird gun that can take a beating and survive the elements while not being thought of as a cheap piece of junk? Thanks!
Posted By: aerangis

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/14/20 06:30 PM

Stoeger M3000. Cheap and reliable auto. It's inertia driven and works when a gas gun won't. I've hunted eiders in subfreezing sleet and that shotgun and a Benelli Super Vinci were the only two that were running after a half hour of hunting.

If you want a pump the Nova's are good shotguns. I dont particularly care for pumps as the forearms can and do get slippery. That, and Im an old fart and don't want to be racking a shotgun to shoot.

I'd start with an inexpensive shotgun. Over the years I've noticed a lot of folks get into hunting waterfowl then give it up for various reasons.

Thats my opinion, take it for what you will.
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/14/20 06:34 PM

The most important thing for consistent wingshooting is a gun that fits you. So first thing first make sure you and the gun match up.

Also check gunbroker, you can get some good used guns on there for much cheaper than buying new.

I have no experience with any of the guns you listed, except the 870, it will get the job done but would be a last resort for me.
Posted By: RayB

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/14/20 07:33 PM

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/865604154

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/14/20 09:37 PM

Thanks for the advice, I've shot all three before and their comforts are good. Just trying to get the most bang for my buck.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/14/20 09:39 PM

I appreciate it! I'll look into the M3000. I haven't looked much at any autoloaders because the only ones I've used are brownings that are above my price range and I've never cleaned an auto. Thanks for the tip!
Posted By: cos

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/14/20 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
The most important thing for consistent wingshooting is a gun that fits you. So first thing first make sure you and the gun match up.

Also check gunbroker, you can get some good used guns on there for much cheaper than buying new.

I have no experience with any of the guns you listed, except the 870, it will get the job done but would be a last resort for me.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/14/20 09:53 PM

If you are going to hunt with others in a blind you should look into a Browning BPS. Ejects down, doesn't hit anyone beside you. Comes in wood or synthetic. You can find used ones very reasonably. Also makes a good dove gun.
Posted By: rickym

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/14/20 09:54 PM

Go hold as many as possible and buy what feels the best. Even better if you can shoot a bunch of them.
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/14/20 10:25 PM

I shot a Benelli Nova for many years before moving to a Benelli M2 and it is bulky but a great gun. It is now my backup gun and I would highly recommend it from your listed guns above.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/14/20 10:31 PM

Entry level - Remington is an inexpensive, fine, reliable, pump. The Super-Mag Express is chambered for up to 3.5" shells.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/14/20 10:47 PM

I have a 10 ga BPS and like it a great deal. That said, I agree with the previous sentiment that shotguns are all about fit. Handle as many as possible and buy the one that fits you best.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/16/20 02:17 AM

You said "best"

Beretta A400 Extrema

Second place tie for

SBE2

Browning Maxus

And if you get a good one the new A5.

I would say A5 hands down but quality control is hit or miss.

I was lucky to get a good one and I absolutely love everything about it.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/16/20 02:54 AM

I voted for the Benelli Supernova, but here is my general thinking on shotguns:

Benelli, Beretta, and Browning have given me zero problems, pump or semiauto. YMMV, but "B" shotguns have been rock solid for me.

As mentioned fit matters more with a shotgun than any other firearm. Do some research on gun fit and try before you buy.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: dk2429

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/16/20 03:17 AM

I'm surprised I haven't seen the "buy once cry once, get a $2000 Benelli" comments yet.. Those are the replies I recieved asking this same question with that kind of budget!

If you want a pump I'd say the 870 or Super Nova.. Brother has a Super Nova that is rusty and crusty and still runs, and an 870 has probably shot more birds than any shotgun on the market.

But if you really want to push that $600, the 3000 Stoeger would be good. I've shot one a few times hunting and it's awesome! They get a real good reputation too.

Matter in fact! Check out Cabelas..... They are getting rid of all kinds of shotguns for awesome deals right now... I just got an $1100 Remington Versamax for $629. Others that I saw....

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/win...un-in-mossy-oak-shadow-grass-blades-camo

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/stoeger-m3500-semi-auto-realtree-apg-shotgun

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/franchi-intensity-semi-auto-shotgun

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/browning-a5-stalker-semi-auto-shotgun

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/remington-versa-max-semi-auto-shotgun---synthetic-black

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/Rem...uto-Shotgun-in-Mossy-Oak-Duck-Blind-Camo

All these are close to $1000 shotguns that are well within your budget right now.. That SX4 is an AWESOME deal right now IMO. All of these are semi-auto too..

Posted By: 68A

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/16/20 03:22 AM

SuperNova unless you can find a used A300.
Posted By: TBS12

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/16/20 01:00 PM

If you find an older wingmaster 870 then get that but a newer made 870 will let you down even as a boat anchor. Maybe i just had a bad apple but i won't buy anything Remington after '08
Posted By: nacgoat08

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/16/20 03:20 PM

You can't go wrong with a Benelli Nova or 870 as your "starter kit". Either way, it most likely won't be your last...Both of those will last your lifetime and probably the next and will serve as good back up guns or home defense in the off season. A benelli nova was my first shotgun years ago, but I currently own both.

I would also recommend a Stoeger M2000. You should be able to find a used one for less than $400-500 and.
Posted By: AZ_Hunter_2000

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/16/20 03:31 PM

Do not overlook the Beretta A300. Should be able to find one for close to your $600 budget. My A300 has been used for quail/dove/duck/geese without any issues. I also have an A400 so it gets the nod more often now, however, I still use my A300 several times each fall.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/16/20 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by TBS12
If you find an older wingmaster 870 then get that but a newer made 870 will let you down even as a boat anchor. Maybe i just had a bad apple but i won't buy anything Remington after '08

I think a lot of folks would say the same thing.
Posted By: TDH

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/16/20 08:53 PM

Just saw an X2 in the classifieds for $600, low round count.
Good gun, little heavy but good gun.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/16/20 09:17 PM

In order
Benelli
Berretta
Browning
Winchester
Mossberg
Single shot new Englander
Garage built shotgun powered by bottle rockets
Remington

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/16/20 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
In order
Benelli
Berretta
Browning
Winchester
Mossberg
Remington

roflmao
Yall are funny on here.. if ain't a B gun, it's hunk of [censored]
Posted By: Superduty

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/16/20 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by BradyBuck
You said "best"

Beretta A400 Extrema

Second place tie for

SBE2

Browning Maxus

And if you get a good one the new A5.

I would say A5 hands down but quality control is hit or miss.

I was lucky to get a good one and I absolutely love everything about it.

That browning Maxus is well over 600.00 bucks.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/16/20 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
In order
Benelli
Berretta
Browning
Winchester
Mossberg
Remington

roflmao

No I'd run a Mossberg or a Winchester. I wouldn't buy a Remington other than an old sportsman for dove hunting.
Posted By: ruger260

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/16/20 11:06 PM

Beretta

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/17/20 12:40 AM

In order
Benelli
Berretta
Browning
Winchester
Mossberg
Remington

roflmao

No I'd run a Mossberg or a Winchester. I wouldn't buy a Remington other than an old sportsman for dove hunting.

I'm kind of new to all this if you havent read my posts and just got my first auto loader (Remington Versamax)

One thing I noticed on here, duck hunting facebook pages, people I know, other forums, etc....

The people that have never owned or shot a Versamax: "Its a hunk of a [censored], get a B gun! Remington sucks!"

The people who do own one: "Absolutely awesome guns, have shot mine since it came out in 2012, not a hiccup. Sold my Benelli when I got this gun."

Again I'm all new to this, so bear with me. And by the way, I LOVE the feel of the SBE3 and any Benelli I've shouldered. But from what I've gathered so far, the B guys are strictly only B, never even tried a new Remington, refuse to, say you are an idiot if you get one, and say they are junk.

The people on here and other places that DO shoot new Remingtons have nothing but good to say about them! A few on this very site mentioned that they sold their SBE3s and went to Versamaxs.

Again, I'm not as experienced as yall. But in my eyes, yall B guys need to open up your horizons a little bit and try something else before bashing it. I already know the bs I'm about to get for saying this but it's what Ive gathered thus far!
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/17/20 01:04 PM

It's because Remington quality control went down, and Remington is pretty much a piece of junk.
Not saying they wouldnt work, but they're not as nice, light, or reliable as a B.

There's a reason the B's are the most popular guns out there now. I've never seen once where someone sold a benelli to get a Remington either.

And if you shoot a B, why open up your eyes, you're already shooting the best?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/17/20 01:10 PM

In order
Benelli
Berretta
Browning
Winchester
Mossberg
Remington

roflmao

Typically they are the only ones to stand up to guides, backing clients up. Also sporting clay comp guys

Beretta ownes benelli, franchise, stroeger etc. each brand under Beretta has a price point
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/17/20 01:15 PM

Op- since you are looking at pumps toss in the Browning BPS, it has the smoothest action IMO and you don’t have to chase spent hulls down later

Super Nova is a tank of a gun, but it’s heavy, and not a smooth action but super reliable.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/17/20 01:38 PM

In order
Benelli
Berretta
Browning
Winchester
Mossberg
Remington

roflmao

I'm kind of new to all this if you havent read my posts and just got my first auto loader (Remington Versamax)

One thing I noticed on here, duck hunting facebook pages, people I know, other forums, etc....

The people that have never owned or shot a Versamax: "Its a hunk of a [censored], get a B gun! Remington sucks!"

The people who do own one: "Absolutely awesome guns, have shot mine since it came out in 2012, not a hiccup. Sold my Benelli when I got this gun."

Again I'm all new to this, so bear with me. And by the way, I LOVE the feel of the SBE3 and any Benelli I've shouldered. But from what I've gathered so far, the B guys are strictly only B, never even tried a new Remington, refuse to, say you are an idiot if you get one, and say they are junk.

The people on here and other places that DO shoot new Remingtons have nothing but good to say about them! A few on this very site mentioned that they sold their SBE3s and went to Versamaxs.

Again, I'm not as experienced as yall. But in my eyes, yall B guys need to open up your horizons a little bit and try something else before bashing it. I already know the bs I'm about to get for saying this but it's what Ive gathered thus far!

Yes you'll not find any versmax owners that aren't happy.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/17/20 01:40 PM

I just learned something, I knew Beretta owned Sako and tikka, but not Benelli.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/17/20 01:44 PM

If some folks seem particular about a brand of shotgun it may have to do with customer service. I learned that the hard way years ago. If I spend the time and effort to go on a hunt I want my shotgun to work when I pull the trigger. Come rain, sleet, or shine.

I've been on a few Cast & Blasts in Argentina and used the shotguns provided by the outfitter which get a heck of a lot of rounds shot out of them every day, with round counts in the thousands in the course of a week. They're picky abut the shotguns they use as am I and I dont use my shotguns anywhere near as much.

www.randywakeman.com has a TON of no-nonsense info about shotguns and does reviews. I've known Randy for quite a few years and he's not one to mince words when it comes to his opinion. He also stresses the importance of patterning a shotgun and I agree. Shotguns of the exact same brand, model, barrel length and choke can and do shoot differently between point of aim and point of impact. If you dont know where the shot is going its pretty damn hard to shoot accurately. Randy explains all that and more. I'd suggest checking out what he has to say. You'll learn a lot.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/17/20 01:44 PM

My Mossberg 88 has done me good... I have it in 20 gauge, smooth action, never a mis-fire,light weight too.
(Except one time I forgot to flick off the safety) hammer
My. Brother has one in 12 gauge, he said it's been flawless, he's had it, oh, about 7 or 8 years now.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/17/20 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
I just learned something, I knew Beretta owned Sako and tikka, but not Benelli.

Yep, and although I own and like the brands Beretta's customer service sucks big time. And I am not the only one that thinks this way. Buy the product and hope you don't have to deal with them. They couldn't care less once you own their product.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/17/20 04:25 PM

Berettas may suck, but my experience with Benelli's and Stoeger's customer service over the years has been excellent the few times Ive had to use them.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/17/20 04:32 PM

It's because Remington quality control went down, and Remington is pretty much a piece of junk.
Not saying they wouldnt work, but they're not as nice, light, or reliable as a B.

There's a reason the B's are the most popular guns out there now. I've never seen once where someone sold a benelli to get a Remington either.

Good post! If you go to one of my threads a while back asking about the Versamax, you'll one or two people in the comments mention that they switched to VM from their SBE3's.

I personally wouldn't be doing that.... Cause I KNOW that Benelli is the best waterfowl shotgun you can get, along with Beretta. I'm going to get me a SBE someday, no doubt about it.

All that my comment was saying was, I find it ridiculous to say a different gun/brand that is not a B gun is a POS. When I was searching and asking for opinons on here, Facebook, other forums, etc, I didn't read ONE SINGLE BAD "REVIEW" on the Versamax AND the V3 from people that own them. The only people that said the Versamax and the V3 were a POS are the ones that has never owned one of even shot one! Some of those folks also owned A400's and SBE's, and although they did say they prefer taking their B guns, the Versamax is a solid waterfowler.

Everyone has "that friend who has ______".. But one of my friends that actually convinced me to get into waterfowl hunting (I've been a born and raised fisherman) has been shooting his Versa every season since he got it in 2013. When I asked him on getting a semi-auto, he told me get a Versa and don't think twice. That's when my Versa research began. Turns out, one of my long time fishing friends that also is in to duck hunting, bought his first Versa in 2016.. Black synthetic Sportsman model. Also has a Vinci which I like.. When I asked him on his opinion, he told me get a Versa UNLESS you can afford one of the high end Benelli's. He said he loves the Benelli, but got the Versamax to take and beat the hell out of on duck trips. And that he sure did.. That thing has seen it's better days to say the least...... lol. And again, I was told to get a Versamax, so I did

That's when I started coming to conclusion that the only people that bash on the newer Remington autoloaders are the ones that haven't even held one. The ones that do own them don't have anything bad to say about them.

So yeah, I got a Versamax because it's what I could afford right now, and to be different from all the B guys
grin Obviously it only takes time to see how mine is going to hold up, but from everything I gathered I'm not worried about it one bit.. If there's people been beating these things up since their introduction in 2012 and they are still running them, I have no worries

And by the way! To say "why would we open our eyes when we already have the best" is very true! The whole point of my comment at the end of the day was don't bash it until you try it smile

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/18/20 02:03 PM

Something to keep in mind is weight. Slogging through muck or walk-in hunts with a heavy shotgun sucks which is one of the reasons I prefer a light shotgun for waterfowl. Sitting in the blind or on a mud seat in water for a couple hours while holding is another. Having to pack in dekes and other gear is another reason.

When it comes down to it any shotgun will work if you know how it shoots. As a kid I busted many a duck with a cheap, Sears store single shot 410.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/18/20 10:53 PM

Benelli Super Vinci on sale at Cabelas for $850.

Problem is, every store in the country is sold out

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/20/20 03:31 PM

Benelli Super Vinci on sale at Cabelas for $850.

Problem is, every store in the country is sold out

Wow. That is one heck of a deal.

I sure as heck didnt get mine for that price but it was worth what I paid and I'd pay it again. It's by far one of the most reliable and easy to shoot shotguns I've owned.
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/21/20 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by AZ_Hunter_2000
Do not overlook the Beretta A300. Should be able to find one for close to your $600 budget. My A300 has been used for quail/dove/duck/geese without any issues. I also have an A400 so it gets the nod more often now, however, I still use my A300 several times each fall.

Came in to say the same thing. The A300 Outlander is a great semi-auto for the price. It is pretty much my goto gun now for dove, turkey, and clay games. My Beretta O/U goes as my back up gun, and my 870 Wingmaster hardly even leaves the safe anymore.
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/21/20 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by cyphertext

Came in to say the same thing. The A300 Outlander is a great semi-auto for the price. It is pretty much my goto gun now for dove, turkey, and clay games. My Beretta O/U goes as my back up gun, and my 870 Wingmaster hardly even leaves the safe anymore.

Yep. Go to Dunns and they're $599 right now. Definitely will be money well spent.
Posted By: rickym

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/21/20 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by E.TX.JMart

Yep. Go to Dunns and they're $599 right now. Definitely will be money well spent.

He bought a Nova.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/21/20 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by rickym

He bought a Nova.

He did? Didn't see that in the thread.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/22/20 12:03 AM

Yes, I found a new Benelli Nova for $450. I bought it and am very happy with it. I went to the trap range over the weekend and put 100 shells through it. Performed amazingly. I have since stripped it, cleaned it, oiled it, and re-assembled it. I appreciate all the comments and advice and it definitely helped me reach a decision.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/22/20 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by HTXdude123
Yes, I found a new Benelli Nova for $450. I bought it and am very happy with it. I went to the trap range over the weekend and put 100 shells through it. Performed amazingly. I have since stripped it, cleaned it, oiled it, and re-assembled it. I appreciate all the comments and advice and it definitely helped me reach a decision.

Congratulations. Glad you are happy with it!
Posted By: redhaze

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/22/20 10:41 AM

Congrats

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/23/20 07:02 PM

Congratulations! Going to the range right off the bat and learning how to use it is smart up
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/23/20 07:54 PM

Haven’t heard any mention of Ruger Red Labels, or Ruger customer service.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/24/20 03:44 PM

SBE

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 07/24/20 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Haven’t heard any mention of Ruger Red Labels, or Ruger customer service.

The fore end of mine split while in SD, called Ruger they sent a UPS label and I had it back in a week and a half, that was 10 or so years ago, who knows how they are now?
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/10/20 03:08 AM

Get an Extrema or SBE and be done with it. Period
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/10/20 07:20 PM

Shoulder all of them and pick the one that fits.

For me, it would be a Beretta AL 391 or A400. They won't break on you.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/11/20 01:38 PM

Beretta A400 Extrema

Highly recommend the A400

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/11/20 01:56 PM

All shotguns mentioned are great, but since this is your first and you may not like bird hunting (if you don't seek help) get the Stoeger, it's less expensive that the the "B"s if you find you love it (normal reaction) then fork over the cash for one of the higher quality shotguns
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/11/20 03:07 PM

Franchi Affinity
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/11/20 03:37 PM

870 or a cheap Mossberg.
Posted By: Mr. Jeem

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/11/20 04:11 PM

Find yourself a used Beretta 390.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/11/20 07:05 PM

OP here...
Cool to see that this thread is still going and generating conversation. I mentioned earlier in it but I ended up getting a 12 gauge Benelli Nova. Have shot both self-pull trap and traditional skeet with it so far and am looking forward to the start of dove season. Couldn't be happier.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/11/20 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by HTXdude123

glad you found it , good luck and be careful

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/11/20 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Jeem
Find yourself a used Beretta 390.

there ya go
Posted By: xintx

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/24/20 12:42 AM

how'd i miss this? late to the game with my knee injury
Posted By: Creek Henry

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/24/20 12:44 AM

Sx3 is super reliable and fast
Posted By: txlenchs

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/24/20 01:29 AM

Love my 12-guage Beretta A391 Xtrema2...also love my 11-87 20 Reminngton. Out duck club of 12 folks are almost evenly split bwteen the Benelle SBEs and the Berettas...one guy loves the Winchester SXp and he has a 20 and a 12 guage
Posted By: Retired and hunting

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/24/20 03:01 AM

Ducks are easy to hit,just wait till they quit swimming around and touch off the punt gun
Posted By: hetman

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/24/20 05:19 AM

Browning Citori

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/24/20 10:34 PM

again, buy one that fits.

When you mount it and look down the barrel, all you see is the sight.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/24/20 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Retired and hunting
Ducks are easy to hit,just wait till they quit swimming around and touch off the punt gun

[Linked Image]

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/24/20 10:40 PM

holy crap

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/24/20 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

holy crap

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt_gun
A punt gun is a type of extremely large shotgun used in the 19th and early 20th centuries for shooting large numbers of waterfowl for commercial harvesting operations. These weapons are characteristically too large for an individual to fire from the shoulder or often carry by themselves, but unlike artillery pieces, punt guns are able to be aimed and fired by a single person from a mount. In this case, the mount is typically a small watercraft. Many early models appear similar to over-sized versions of shoulder weapons of the time with full-length wooden stocks with a normal-sized shoulder stock. Most later variations do away with the full-length stock—especially more modern models—and have mounting hardware fixed to the gun to allow them to be fitted to a pintle.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/26/20 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Greekangler
Get an Extrema or SBE and be done with it. Period

+1
Posted By: nocknload

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? - 08/31/20 03:54 AM

I would pick something italian
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum