Texas Hunting Forum

How to cook duck breast

Posted By: dk2429

How to cook duck breast - 05/22/20 03:59 PM

Gonna finish off the few redheads and bluebills in the freezer from January. I've only grilled them and wrapped them in bacon/jalopeno/cream cheese.

What's some other ways to cook these suckers up that y'all like?
Posted By: RayB

Re: How to cook duck breast - 05/22/20 04:33 PM

A guide once told me that if you take a red head and simmer it in crab and shrimp boil for an hour that you will never eat them another way. Please understand I never tried it so!
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: How to cook duck breast - 05/22/20 05:07 PM

If the breast fat is still on them... season the breasts, sear them fat side down in a skillet to start, then turn and sear again. serve with sauteed mushrooms and wild rice.

You could do a duck breast version of Coq au Vin

Slice the meat into strips and chicken fry them
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: How to cook duck breast - 05/22/20 05:21 PM

tenderize like you would a steak, chicken fry
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: How to cook duck breast - 05/22/20 05:41 PM

Tenderize, soak in buttermilk over night, then chicken fry like ckickenfried steak
Posted By: 68A

Re: How to cook duck breast - 05/22/20 06:48 PM

Chicken fried is good. Guy posted a really good recipe for flautas.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: How to cook duck breast - 05/22/20 06:57 PM

I like duck, a lot.

If push comes to shove, however, duck jerky is excellent, too.
Posted By: Duck Buster

Re: How to cook duck breast - 05/22/20 07:41 PM

My favorite way to eat them is to make duck Parmesan (look up a chicken parm recipe, and substitute duck). Slice the breast in half so they are thinner and cook better.

I have a recipe where you brown them, then bake them with nothing for 45 min, then bake another 45 minutes with cream of mushroon and cream of chicken. Serve over rice- its like a duck soup.

I frequently also make a duck/goose jambalaya or gumbo- the mixes you get from a box aren't terrible if you don't want to make them from scratch.

I also cut them into thin strips and bread them make duck nuggets (either fried or in the over- fried is better). Similar to chicken fried as said above.

Duck fajitas- cut in thin strips, sear and cook with peppers and onions, etc.

BBQ- marinade in italian dressing, just salt and pepper, or an orange marmalade marinade are my favorite. Don't grill too long or they get chewy.

For goose legs, swan legs, wing and back meat- I put in them in the crock pot with a can of cream chicken and a can of cream of mushroom. Meat falls off the bone- same concept as the soup I listed above, but this uses tougher meat to get and tastes just as good.

Jerky- although not my preference

Ground it and made duck burgers, spaghetti, tacos, etc- good, but also not my first preference.

Those are most of my "go-to" ways of cooking all waterfowl. But I have experimented with many others recipes. We eat duck 1-2x a week year round, so you gotta get creative. I basically search for chicken recipes and substitute duck in them. Most turn out fine.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: How to cook duck breast - 05/22/20 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by RayB
A guide once told me that if you take a red head and simmer it in crab and shrimp boil for an hour that you will never eat them another way. Please understand I never tried it so!

He wasnt kidding you. I do the same thing.
Posted By: tigger

Re: How to cook duck breast - 05/22/20 07:58 PM

Are you serious?

Re: How to cook duck breast - 05/22/20 08:02 PM

[Linked Image]

I don't breast out ducks, I pick and wax. When others are throwing away the legs thighs heart and gizzards I ask if I can take them. Get ready because this is a bad arse recipe. Simmer the legs thighs hearts until you can pinch through the meat. Make your own cream base or use cream of mushroom soup. While its heating sure mushrooms and onion in butter. Add that to the cream base when soft. Add the meat and simmer until it all gets mixed good. Serve over rice of egg noodles. Top with green onion.

Re: How to cook duck breast - 05/22/20 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by tigger
Are you serious?

if youre asking me, absolutely!
Posted By: dk2429

Re: How to cook duck breast - 05/22/20 10:44 PM

Wow thanks everyone! All those sound good as hell haha.

I could eat a grilled duck breast by itself no problem.. Absoutely love 'em! Was just trying to get creative and y'all dang sure did it.. lol. This was my first season duck hunting so I've got a lot to learn

Gonna soak them in buttermilk tonight and get cooking tomorrow.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: How to cook duck breast - 05/25/20 03:03 AM

If fat is orange, skin em and make sausage. If fat is white or yellow pluck em and cook them skin on. Keep hearts, livers gizzards... I've heard fried duck tongue is tasty. Render white duck fat and use it for scrambled eggs, green beans and mashed potatoes. Save the legs and make duck confit. I hang mine for three or four days at 55 degrees before I pluck them. Pluck first then draw. Best change I've ever made.
Posted By: Mr. Jeem

Re: How to cook duck breast - 05/25/20 06:13 PM

Cook duck breast medium rare. Legs & thigh either confit or they go in gumbo.
Posted By: teal.slayer14

Re: How to cook duck breast - 05/29/20 04:53 PM

Coat breast heavily with coarse salt, both sides. Make sure to use wood cutting board. Let sit for 15-20 min depending on size. Pound out until about 1/4 thick. Wash salt off. Coat both sides with olive oil and season with steak chop seasoning. Don't add salt. lay breast flat and place provolone cheese and then spinach. Role up and put tooth pic in to hold. Grill hot on both sides then move so they aren't over the flame. Cook until rare to medium rare. Taste like steak.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: aerangis

Re: How to cook duck breast - 06/06/20 01:23 AM

I toss my birds in a walmart grocery bag and put them in the friedge for a couple weeks to age. I then breast them out and soak the meat in saltwater for 24 hours or so.

Pan seared rare with a light dusting of flour, salt, and pepper, its as tender and flavorful as any beef filet you'll ever eat.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum