Texas Hunting Forum

Dove bag/vest

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Dove bag/vest - 05/19/20 02:20 AM

What brand or style do you use for Dove hunting? I’ve Game Winner or Magellan the past couple of years, but quality isn’t as good as I would like. Looking for the next best mouse trap.
Posted By: booskay

Re: Dove bag/vest - 05/19/20 02:24 AM

I throw them into the back of my truck.
Posted By: Dove Murderer

Re: Dove bag/vest - 05/19/20 02:32 AM

Filson game bag. Expensive, but will last forever.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Dove bag/vest - 05/19/20 04:26 AM

Army surplus web gear, mine is at least 50 years old and still useful. also have the web gear pack that I attach to the back that pu the birds in. Canteen for water for the dog and to wash my hands. The 2 ammo pouches hold more than a box of shells. I bought one for my neighbor a few years ago, I think it cost about $24. Check at the local Army surplus stores.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mickeyhft

Re: Dove bag/vest - 05/19/20 12:01 PM

Redhead strap vest, had it for well over a decade now, works great.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Dove bag/vest - 05/19/20 12:46 PM

Being from the King Ranch, this one is a lil' spendy at $200, but I sure like the form. I have one similar that's made out of some sort of duck fabric and has been used hard

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TLew

Re: Dove bag/vest - 05/19/20 01:18 PM

Similar to Hud's but cheaper, I love this vest.

Pella Bird-n-Lite
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RayB

Re: Dove bag/vest - 05/19/20 01:19 PM

I put mine in a zip lock bag and then the ice chest with the drinks. Just don't put more than one persons birds in one ice chest, Mr. GW doesn't like that.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Dove bag/vest - 05/19/20 01:34 PM

Cheap one from Academy that goes around the waist and attach suspenders to it. Works great for fat boys like me.
Posted By: cleboje

Re: Dove bag/vest - 05/21/20 04:32 PM

Texas heat and humidity are brutal during September...so I opt for this combination of belted game bag and game bird tote...works well and keep the dove nice for after the hunt pics...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Birdboy

Re: Dove bag/vest - 05/30/20 12:50 PM

Did you make that Dove carrier/game bird tote cleboje?
Posted By: Garwoodie

Re: Dove bag/vest - 05/30/20 02:30 PM

I use the belted game bag but get my doves to the cooler often when its blazing hot in September.
Posted By: cleboje

Re: Dove bag/vest - 06/01/20 12:34 PM

Birdboy

Contact B2 Paracord Creations on Amazon to get one...the bird-totes are customizable when you order and the best part is they are made in America!

Cleboje
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Dove bag/vest - 06/01/20 02:58 PM

I still use a 3 bag Walls that I've had for years. Made out of cordura I think.
Posted By: TBS12

Re: Dove bag/vest - 06/01/20 03:53 PM

Filson has a very nice dove vest.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Dove bag/vest - 06/01/20 04:31 PM

I use a plastic bag from a supermarket. I sit, don't move around much, when dove hunting. If there is a trash can, etc. I clean them when the day's done.
Posted By: Creek Henry

Re: Dove bag/vest - 06/08/20 02:21 AM

I use a Primos vest... It's holding up well but I wish I'd have gotten 2 as they are no longer made
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Dove bag/vest - 06/08/20 02:30 AM

Still use my mesh Browning vest I bought in ‘88. It has been afield a few times.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Dove bag/vest - 06/08/20 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Birdboy
Did you make that Dove carrier/game bird tote cleboje?

Get a large key ring and some paracord. Use a 24" piece of paracord, tie a hangman's noose for the doves feet on both ends and then loop it onto the key ring. Make 7 and you have one under a days limit.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Dove bag/vest - 06/08/20 08:12 PM

definitely get one that goes over the shoulders or the bag will always fall down
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Dove bag/vest - 06/08/20 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by TBS12
Filson has a very nice dove vest.

X2
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Dove bag/vest - 07/06/20 07:23 PM

I like the inexpensive mesh type. Need to find another one, the zipper is failing on mine.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Dove bag/vest - 07/06/20 08:00 PM

Still using my Army issued one from 50+ years ago.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Dove bag/vest - 07/06/20 08:04 PM

I have to use a vest , bags keep falling down otherwise
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Dove bag/vest - 07/06/20 08:43 PM

https://www.filson.com/tin-cloth-sh...ABEgJ4FvD_BwE#sku=11016029-fco-000000042

Had it for years, and it's still good as new.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Dove bag/vest - 07/06/20 10:05 PM

i have a Beretta waxed cotton game bag/shell pouch. Had it for years. I liked it better than the Filson one because the bags slide on/off the belt. I'm on my third belt as buckles break and holes wear out but the pouches are still great, i just keep them waxed and cleaned out good, it's been bulletproof. It was about half the price of a Filson. Not sure they make them anymore, this link says "discontinued".

beretta bird bag
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Dove bag/vest - 07/09/20 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by First_Chance
i have a Beretta waxed cotton game bag/shell pouch. Had it for years. I liked it better than the Filson one because the bags slide on/off the belt. I'm on my third belt as buckles break and holes wear out but the pouches are still great, i just keep them waxed and cleaned out good, it's been bulletproof. It was about half the price of a Filson. Not sure they make them anymore, this link says "discontinued".

beretta bird bag

Don't the belt kind weigh down your pants with all the weight?
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Dove bag/vest - 07/09/20 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ndhunter
Originally Posted by First_Chance

beretta bird bag

Don't the belt kind weigh down your pants with all the weight?

if you were to try and tote a limit of birds and a box of shells in it, sure. But the places and types of dove hunting we do, you are never that far away from a vehicle so its easy to unload birds every so often. I also use a separate belt for my pants and use the bird bag belt above it. With the three pouches, I can keep shells in one, empties in the other and birds in the back. I also have a stool with a insulated pouch that's good to keep a couple of beverages in and a big ziplock to unload birds in if i'm a good ways from the Ranger.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Dove bag/vest - 07/11/20 11:07 PM

Still use my Browning Game Vest, circa 1985. Has lasted well & still retains its color.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Dove bag/vest - 07/12/20 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dove Murderer
Filson game bag. Expensive, but will last forever.

This. Worth it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum