Texas Hunting Forum

Boats

Posted By: AggieOutdoors20

Boats - 05/09/20 11:56 PM

Growing up a fisherman I constantly find myself searching the internet comparing boats. Due to Covid-19 this bad habit has only increased, I have been on the lookout for the perfect outdoorsman boat (if she even exists) just looking for something I can hunt out of in the winter, fish out of in the spring and summer. And only have to make payments on one boat. I can't imagine in the only one in the State looking for similar qualities in a boat. With that being said one I'd love any recommendations on where to look. And two I also would love to see everyones rigs, if you run a duck boat!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Boats - 05/10/20 12:29 AM

18-20 foot center console aluminum hull with a jet motor.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Boats - 05/10/20 12:57 AM

A surface drive would work for you. You might have to troll a little farther to your fishing spot, but it'd work just fine
Posted By: 68A

Re: Boats - 05/10/20 01:08 AM

Depends on where you hunt and what kinda fishing you’re trying to do. Running rivers/creeks, stumps, mud, grass? I’d steer clear of jet drive if you plan on running thick vegetation and mud. I run a 1851 with GTR. It’ll fish, albeit not near as well as a bass boat but it’ll work. Watched a couple guys burn up outboards in mud this year.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Boats - 05/13/20 08:47 PM

Hunting boat...are you hunting out of the boat or primarily bailing out of the boat once your to the x. Fishing boat...bass fisherman or crappie/catfishing?

I use my boat as a transport mainly when hunting but I could hunt out of it if needed to and I'm a crappie fisherman just fishing one lake and my own structures I've sunk. I can tie up on most spots but do use the trolling motor when needed. So far I wouldn't trade my rig for another. Plenty of room, weighs more than most boats but that weight keeps me from getting blown around when I'm using the trolling motor. I can go thru rough water if needed (and thats relative to the situation) no duck boat is going to go thru what 20 ft plus bass rig will get thru. I can bass fish off the deck, but just me everybody else has to be somewhere else in the boat....but I rarely bass fish. Sitting on one of my brushpiles either jigs or minnows with a cold one handy....my boat is hard to beat.

Mines a 20ft custom boat with a GRT 40.
Posted By: ChrisG

Re: Boats - 05/15/20 02:43 PM

This is something I have been kicking around. Mine would be used for fishing 85% hunting 10% and family leisure 5%. With the 20' model I believe I could hunt and fish freshwater lakes or the saltwater bays, maybe even get into some backwater stuff, and I could also pull a kid or two around the lake on a tube.

I like the Excel Stalker

Stalker

Hit it with gator glide

Gator Glide

The only issue I have not figured out it how to use an outboard in the shallow mud. Maybe a small long tail secondary motor, I am not trying to go fast just get in and out of my spots and that would only be when necessary.

If you are just one guy looking to use the boat by yourself most of the time and could have up to three guys max.

I also like a custom Gheenoe

Gheenoe

I like it because it is small and stable. You could take it just about anywhere you wanted to go.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Boats - 05/15/20 03:10 PM

Keep your eyes out for a used surface drive at 6 grand or so. then keep your eyes out for a used center console with an outboard for 18 or so you'll be a lot happier

The 20-ft mud motor you're talking about building will cost more than those two combined.
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: Boats - 05/15/20 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
Keep your eyes out for a used surface drive at 6 grand or so. then keep your eyes out for a used center console with an outboard for 18 or so you'll be a lot happier

The 20-ft mud motor you're talking about building will cost more than those two combined.

This x2. A 16' boat with a 25hp tiller handle motor will get you in and out of a lot of places. Just change the lower unit oil more often than regular.

If you have to go combo, the center console Excel above, or similar, would be my vote.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Boats - 05/15/20 06:37 PM

What kind of water do you duck hunt? More coast, river, stumpy lake etc.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Boats - 05/15/20 10:05 PM

I have my eye on the Excel viper f4 CC. The step deck will come in handy getting in after a hunt, or hunting out of the boat with a dog.

https://excelboats.com/viperf4%20console.html
Posted By: OTL91

Re: Boats - 05/15/20 10:12 PM

Check out Uncle J custom boats. He can make you a boat with any feature you can dream of and can probably recommend a specific set up if you tell him what you want the boat to do. He’s busy enough as a shop that he doesn’t try to sell you a boat and I’m fact when I described what I wanted a boat to do he recommended a hull not built by him. Check his stuff out
Posted By: Guy

Re: Boats - 05/15/20 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by AggieOutdoors20
GrI have been on the lookout for the perfect outdoorsman boat (if she even exists)

She doesn't exist. I got a gator trax/mud buddy surface drive. Of course great for duck hunting, although scouting zooming all over the lake I would rather have an outboard. Fish, I crappie fish, my boat does great for that, but outboard would be better zooming across the lake.

Re: Boats - 05/18/20 12:38 AM

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...842603/gonew/1/prodrive-duck-boat#UNREAD

There is half of your search.

Re: Boats - 05/18/20 01:03 AM

Barneywho said he was selling his since he only hunts Canada and Nebraska now due to DU & global warming shortstopping Ducks.

Re: Boats - 05/18/20 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Barneywho said he was selling his since he only hunts Canada and Nebraska now due to DU & global warming shortstopping Ducks.

I thought that was boozers

Re: Boats - 05/18/20 01:36 AM

I thought that was boozers

It is.

Re: Boats - 05/18/20 01:38 AM

Even easier. I'll low ball him. He's got zero invested
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Boats - 05/19/20 12:17 AM

Even easier. I'll low ball him. He's got zero invested

2010 18X48 PD X-1 hull with 36HP Briggs with FPR and Diamond City aluminum trailer. Bring forth said low ball scooter!!
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Boats - 05/19/20 01:15 PM

The perfect outdoor boat has two motors you change out in late winter and late fall.

Re: Boats - 05/19/20 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by jnd59
The perfect outdoor boat has two motors you change out in late winter and late fall.

Maybe change out the hull too?

Re: Boats - 05/20/20 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

Why you can buy most aluminum boats with some sort of front rack, and setback or tunnel. With that set up you are covered from marsh/river/flats/lake/bay by changing out the motor.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Boats - 05/20/20 04:20 PM

Fortunately one boat wont do it all. If I had to choose just one, it would be a 20 ish foot long Boatright, tunnel 150 hp jack plate. Off you go. Pass it along to your grand kids when you"re done.

Re: Boats - 05/20/20 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by wal1809
Fortunately one boat wont do it all. If I had to choose just one, it would be a 20 ish foot long Boatright, tunnel 150 hp jack plate. Off you go. Pass it along to your grand kids when you"re done.

Tdogg loves his outboard and jack plate, I like surface drive primarily because I like tooling thru stumps and not worrying about hitting them, especially since I hunt alone a lot. And I hit a lot of stumps, going to a duck hole I could hit 5 stumps or more.

Re: Boats - 05/21/20 01:05 AM

L
Why you can buy most aluminum boats with some sort of front rake , and setback or tunnel. With that set up you are covered from marsh/river/flats/lake/bay by changing out the motor.

Auto correct, supposed to say front rake, not rack
Posted By: garrett

Re: Boats - 05/21/20 01:54 PM

boats and front racks have a lot in common...money pits that we fall into over and over

Re: Boats - 05/21/20 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by garrett
boats and front racks have a lot in common...money pits that we fall into over and over

Disappointed, you brought your C game on that lay up

Re: Boats - 05/21/20 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

Why you can buy most aluminum boats with some sort of front rake, and setback or tunnel. With that set up you are covered from marsh/river/flats/lake/bay by changing out the motor.

So you are saying there is a prefect hull for all conditions?
Posted By: garrett

Re: Boats - 05/21/20 09:43 PM

I wanted to keep it PG, the private land hunters are offended easily on here
Posted By: Judd

Re: Boats - 05/22/20 06:39 AM

He’s out of practice, let him get warmed up.
Posted By: pervis

Re: Boats - 05/24/20 04:59 AM

Ive got a new custom 18 54 timber creek w a new gtr40 on the back coming. Be here end of june. Gona be real nice.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum