Texas Hunting Forum

Sitka/Kuiu worth it?

Posted By: rickym

Sitka/Kuiu worth it? - 03/10/20 09:35 PM

What do you think?

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/10/20 09:36 PM

I fall under the last choice. Academy Magellan waders world fine and keep me warm enough.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/11/20 01:32 AM

I can buy 3 to 4 Cabella waders vs a fancy Sitka wader and have enough for life.
It helps to rotate em as well to help em dry out.
No gracias.
The sitka base layer and some cheaper kuiu rain pants and rain jackets are worth it. Perfect for skiing as well. Super light and flexible.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/11/20 01:49 AM

I’ve been using black ovis base layer. Been really happy with it. Throw on my drake mst wading jacket over that, kept me warm and dry on all my boat rides in the worst weather Texas could dish out this year. I suppose if I hunted up north in single digits and teen temps on a regular basis some Sitka gear may be worth it but I’ve been doing fine without it for a long time.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/11/20 02:41 AM

It's the same as any other gear you use or really anything you spend money on period.

I could get by with an 870 but I like nice shotguns.

Sitka really is nice stuff and I really like the few pieces I have.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/11/20 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by beaversnipe
I can buy 3 to 4 Cabella waders vs a fancy Sitka wader and have enough for life.
No gracias.
The sitka base layer and some cheaper kuiu rain pants and rain jackets are worth it. Perfect for skiing as well. Super light and flexible.

Can't really compare apples and oranges though.

Sitka, and a lot of others make breathable waders, and since you said drying the cabelas waders out, I take it those are neoprene. With breathable waders, there is no drying out. it's basically a rain coat shell, you just layer underneath them as needed.
Posted By: Eastxhuntr

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/11/20 10:41 AM

Just when I thought you couldn’t beat this horse anymore..

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/11/20 11:16 AM

Sad that both brands are made in china though
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/11/20 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
No gracias.

Can't really compare apples and oranges though.

Sitka, and a lot of others make breathable waders, and since you said drying the cabelas waders out, I take it those are neoprene. With breathable waders, there is no drying out. it's basically a rain coat shell, you just layer underneath them as needed.

Not necessarily, I have a pair of simms g3s. If your like me and are a walk in hunter you will sweat your [censored] off at times and breatherable waders help but they will still be very damp.

Not sure where sitka is made, but if your going to spend that kind of money mine as well by american. Simms has one of the best reputations in the industry and great customer service. My simms are going on 8 years with no issues.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/11/20 01:03 PM

Sad that both brands are made in china though

That it is, but sitka waders are made in the US.
Posted By: TBS12

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/11/20 01:19 PM

I still hang my breathables and dry them out. If you work up a sweat there will be moisture inside. Doesn't matter if they are insulated or not. I'm on year 3.5 for my banded insulated and 5 for my non-insulated. So as of now it's not worth the money spending on Sitka waders but they are nice. My biggest fear is what will happen to the lifetime warranty when they get bought out.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/11/20 07:00 PM

With the market tumbling, oil and gas crashing and this virus there may be some really good deals on used hunting equipment coming up for sale.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/11/20 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by TBS12
I still hang my breathables and dry them out. If you work up a sweat there will be moisture inside. Doesn't matter if they are insulated or not. I'm on year 3.5 for my banded insulated and 5 for my non-insulated. So as of now it's not worth the money spending on Sitka waders but they are nice. My biggest fear is what will happen to the lifetime warranty when they get bought out.

They're already owned by Gore I believe.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/12/20 02:35 AM

I’d buy Kuiu before Sitka... I feel like the whole Sitka craze is for soy boys.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/12/20 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pintail711

Why do you feel that way?
And it's not a craze, it's much more than apparel, it's actual gear, and it all has a lifetime warranty. That's standing behind your product
Posted By: tdogg

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/12/20 02:42 PM

Does Sitka help you shoot more ducks? I think my Cabela's waders were flaring all the ducks this year.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/12/20 03:09 PM

Drake use to be top of the line, now its a solid meh...I suspect sitka will be the same in a few years when the new wears off and something comes along with better marketing. it will never make the same category as Filson or Simms
Posted By: Eastxhuntr

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/12/20 03:30 PM

^ until it’s makes a stocking foot! HA Jk kinda..I love my Sitka but I only rock Simms waders..

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/12/20 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by tdogg
Does Sitka help you shoot more ducks? I think my Cabela's waders were flaring all the ducks this year.

Does engine grease make my mullet slicker?!
Of course it does!
Posted By: tdogg

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/12/20 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by tdogg

Does engine grease make my mullet slicker?!
Of course it does!

Sheeesh no wonder all the instagram warriors where it. I thought they were hunting the golden acorns, but it was the dang sitka the whole time.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/14/20 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by garrett
Drake use to be top of the line, now its a solid meh...I suspect sitka will be the same in a few years when the new wears off and something comes along with better marketing. it will never make the same category as Filson or Simms

Why won't it? All 3 are different categories of gear.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/14/20 12:19 PM

Its well worth it if you got the money and want to spend it that way. Its the same with vehicles, house, clothes and guns. Buy what you can afford first off, then what you want.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/14/20 12:39 PM

I am the farthest thing from trying to be fashionable. I don't give a crap about any of that.

The fact is it is really good gear and their customer service is top notch.

I almost didn't want to even try it because I don't like following a "fad" but the few things I have I couldn't be happier with.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/14/20 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by garrett

Why won't it? All 3 are different categories of gear.

Certain technical fabric MFG’s hold licensees to certain standards. Drake doesn’t use the same high end fabrics.

Sitka is owned by the Gore brand so its held to the highest manufacturing standards that Gore requires of their licensees. They won’t regress or they ruin the WL gore brand image.

Half of Drakes Waterproof jackets weren’t even completely critically seam sealed. With that said they are getting better after last buy out/sale.

Is Sitka better then Columbia, Drake, cabelas etc. yes, is it worth the extra money, in Texas? about a week out if the year IMO.

Kuiu doesn’t have a duck line and it has very few crossovers outside a waterproof rain jacket and base layer
Posted By: NTX_DuckHunter

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/16/20 08:57 PM

Sitka is by far the best waterfowl gear I've ever worn. I used to say no way I'd pay for all that but it's more than worth it. It's all been put through the ringer and has held up extremely well. Hudson bibs, hudson jacket, delta pants, delta wading jacket, dakota vest, dakota hoody, base layers. I stay comfortable, warm and dry every day of the season.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/17/20 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by NTX_DuckHunter
Sitka is by far the best waterfowl gear I've ever worn. I used to say no way I'd pay for all that but it's more than worth it. It's all been put through the ringer and has held up extremely well. Hudson bibs, hudson jacket, delta pants, delta wading jacket, dakota vest, dakota hoody, base layers. I stay comfortable, warm and dry every day of the season.

Dakota hoody is the best option in TX, the wind stopper is perfect for running the coast or river beds of Texas. Does an exceptional job at cutting wind
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/17/20 02:33 PM

"Worth it" is a relative term. It may be all that and a bag of chips, but where I hunt I have no need. My moderately priced gear suits me fine... dry and warm all season, does not interfere with killing ducks at all. Same reason I drive a half ton truck. I don't need anything larger to pull a boat or my camper.

If I hunted in much colder environments my opinion would most likely be different, just like if I bought a 5th wheel.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/17/20 09:41 PM

And it's not a craze, it's much more than apparel, it's actual gear, and it all has a lifetime warranty. That's standing behind your product

I see Sitka as a tool when I see their clothing. I see it as a fad and some strange [censored] movement with the whole diverge deal. I’m a Simms, waxed canvas, old school Columbia, woolrich kind of guy. Those type of hunting clothes are what I consider tools that has yet to fail me. I’ve been to Alaska and in between and have never been cold once. The best gear period is Simms.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/17/20 11:25 PM

I see Sitka as a tool when I see their clothing. I see it as a fad and some strange [censored] movement with the whole diverge deal. I’m a Simms, waxed canvas, old school Columbia, woolrich kind of guy. Those type of hunting clothes are what I consider tools that has yet to fail me. I’ve been to Alaska and in between and have never been cold once. The best gear period is Simms.

In your opinion, bc you can't say something is the best without trying them all.
It's definitely not a fad, Sitka is the industry leader and standard for a reason.
You don't have to like it, but it does work.
And Simms doesn't even make hunting gear, you're trying to compare apples and oranges.
Also, Simms waders are made with goretex, as are Sitka's waders, and Gore, the company that makes goretex, owns Sitka.... Mic drop lol

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/18/20 02:35 AM

One think I've noticed from this thread is the sitka fans are very passionate about "their" brand. I guess it's either bc the stuff is that good or they have to talk it up to compensate for the money they shelled out for it. Either way I dont care. I'm not really a sitka fan, mainly bc my gear does just fine for what I need it to do. First lite and cabelas base layers, a light natural gear camo jacket, an old cabelas wading jacket for cold days, cabelas neoprene waders or Simms g3 waders. They've been getting the job done for years with no complaints from me

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/18/20 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
One think I've noticed from this thread is the sitka fans are very passionate about "their" brand. I guess it's either bc the stuff is that good or they have to talk it up to compensate for the money they shelled out for it. Either way I dont care. I'm not really a sitka fan, mainly bc my gear does just fine for what I need it to do. First lite and cabelas base layers, a light natural gear camo jacket, an old cabelas wading jacket for cold days, cabelas neoprene waders or Simms g3 waders. They've been getting the job done for years with no complaints from me

It gotten ridiculous like a cheby vs. ford thingy

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/18/20 04:19 AM

A lot of sitka owners say if you have the first lite or other mountain company base layers that it's just as good.

All I'm saying is that it's good stuff, and people just love to hate on it without ever owning any of it.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/18/20 02:17 PM

A lot of sitka owners say if you have the first lite or other mountain company base layers that it's just as good.

All I'm saying is that it's good stuff, and people just love to hate on it without ever owning any of it.

Its like guys who own Yeti's and other rotomolded coolers vs. the guys who say its a waste of money and their 20 year old igloos do just fine.....

I'm about to buy my first, First Lite jacket, pants, etc. for use on my western hunts. Get the weight down while still getting great performance. I'll never gear up in Firstlite or Sitka to go sit in a deer blind. But on a western hunt or on more physical trips, its gonna come in a lot of handy.

I've never heard one serious western hunter bag on any of the premium hunting brands. Guys I know who have hunted all over the world, have told me that KUIU has made their entire trip when conditions got rough.

The types of guys who bag on that stuff are guys who do 99% of their hunting in a blind over a feeder. They don't understand its importance because they have no need to understand.

I've suffered thru hunts where my clothing was just fine, and on hunts where it left a lot to be desired. Its time to upgrade

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/18/20 04:16 PM

FYI don’t buy the yukon roto cooler from Bucees, it’s suxs compared to RTIC, Yeti, and grizzly

As in save your money, pretty sure igloo has more insulation

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/18/20 04:22 PM

There is no denying that technical fabrics, advanced DWR’s, technical Insulation and membranes have a higher rating system then cotton or cheap synthetics, question is if it’s really needed for your hunt.

Technical textiles IMO make hunts more comfortable, the more comfortable you are longer you hunt.

The Mountain is where it’s more applicable for technical fabrics, duck hunting well in Texas not so much, but on the Chesapeake in Jan, better bring your A game.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/18/20 04:36 PM

I just find it funny when the die hard brand dudes get so triggered when someone doesn't want to dress like them. No matter how much you spend on gear it's not going to make you a better hunter. If your gear works for your situation then that's all that matters.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/18/20 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
FYI don’t buy the yukon roto cooler from Bucees, it’s suxs compared to RTIC, Yeti, and grizzly

I have the soft side cooler, I haven't had any issues with it in regards to it having the longevity of holding ice.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/18/20 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

I have the soft side cooler, I haven't had any issues with it in regards to it having the longevity of holding ice.

Good to know. The roto is terrible at ice retention, as in I want my money back

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/18/20 05:46 PM

I just find it funny when the die hard brand dudes get so triggered when someone doesn't want to dress like them. No matter how much you spend on gear it's not going to make you a better hunter. If your gear works for your situation then that's all that matters.

Explaining where the value isn’t really triggered.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/18/20 07:17 PM

Explaining where the value isn’t really triggered.

This.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/18/20 07:43 PM

I rarely see anyone "triggered" who is a Sitka fan.

However, I see a ton of people on FB and even in this thread who do get triggered and like to talk crap about the gear and those who wear it.

I think it says something when 99% of hunters who have used the gear have nothing but positive reviews about the gear and the costumer service.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/19/20 02:39 AM

No matter how much you spend on gear it's not going to make you a better hunter.

Not exactly true. I’ve had to tap out on a hunt where I was cold, wet and miserable for several days. Better gear would have enabled me to hunt longer and may have made the hunt a success rather than a miserable camping trip.

This November I went on a duck hunt with a few guys. Terrible weather, cold and raining. They showed up in regular deer hunting gear( plus waders ) and were wet and frozen in the first hour. I was dry and warm in my under armor storm and gore Tex gear and was happily smashing ducks while they were hating life

So In certain aspects higher performance gear certainly can make you a better hunter.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/19/20 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
No matter how much you spend on gear it's not going to make you a better hunter.

Not exactly true. I’ve had to tap out on a hunt where I was cold, wet and miserable for several days. Better gear would have enabled me to hunt longer and may have made the hunt a success rather than a miserable camping trip.

This November I went on a duck hunt with a few guys. Terrible weather, cold and raining. They showed up in regular deer hunting gear( plus waders ) and were wet and frozen in the first hour. I was dry and warm in my under armor storm and gore Tex gear and was happily smashing ducks while they were hating life

So In certain aspects higher performance gear certainly can make you a better hunter.

You can’t explain technical clothing to some one that may break ice twice a year duck hunting, or hasn’t had to pack a heavy wool coat 9 miles in day.

It doesn’t compute, nor should it if you think about it from their prospective, regardless the textiles have really improved a ton last 15 years has have price points and competition

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/19/20 01:54 PM

[quote=TBS12]No matter how much you spend on gear it's not going to make you a better hunter.

or hasn’t had to pack a heavy wool coat 9 miles in day.

I just want to know who truly is walking in 9 miles. A lot of people say they have, but you never see it on public water.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/19/20 02:20 PM

[quote=TBS12]No matter how much you spend on gear it's not going to make you a better hunter.

I just want to know who truly is walking in 9 miles. A lot of people say they have, but you never see it on public water.

He's talking about mountain hunting more than likely on that comment.
And mountain hunting is Sitka's forte, but they have expanded to all pursuits and their duck hunting gear is superior to anyone else's. And TT85 made a great comment about warmth and comfort. That is what their mission is to keep you comfortabe, and the more comfortable you are, the longer you'll hunt, and more time in the field equates to better success.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/19/20 04:27 PM

Talking about mountains as a reference to weight. Last year I did it daily for little over 20 days, per my GPS/inreach

Sitka started as a mountain brand and technical fabrics carried over into water fowl. Kuiu doesn’t have waterfowl line but there are few carry over pieces.

There is a difference in textiles when you hit the extreme weathers. Jan on and In the Chesapeake, pouring raining all day, spending all day in waders, etc. this is when your cheaper gear fails. It wets outs and leaks, or insulation goes flat, or you sweat out your wades, then get a massive chill etc.

If you look at my original post I already clarified my thoughts on Texas, but rest of the country not so much.

You are basically making and agruement saying the cheap frogtoggs and hogmens breathable wader are comparable to upper end Simms. From fly fishing CO, teal season and wade fishing the coast all my life, that’s a statement lacking knowledge coming from actual use of the compared products. Yes frogtoggs and hodgemens work, but comfort and longevity aren’t comparable.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/20/20 09:19 PM

Talking about mountains as a reference to weight. Last year I did it daily for little over 20 days, per my GPS/inreach

Sitka started as a mountain brand and technical fabrics carried over into water fowl. Kuiu doesn’t have waterfowl line but there are few carry over pieces.

There is a difference in textiles when you hit the extreme weathers. Jan on and In the Chesapeake, pouring raining all day, spending all day in waders, etc. this is when your cheaper gear fails. It wets outs and leaks, or insulation goes flat, or you sweat out your wades, then get a massive chill etc.

If you look at my original post I already clarified my thoughts on Texas, but rest of the country not so much.

You are basically making and agruement saying the cheap frogtoggs and hogmens breathable wader are comparable to upper end Simms. From fly fishing CO, teal season and wade fishing the coast all my life, that’s a statement lacking knowledge coming from actual use of the compared products. Yes frogtoggs and hodgemens work, but comfort and longevity aren’t comparable.

If you want to assume i am talking about grabbing the cheapest pair of waders or anything off the academy rack i would not disagree with you about comfort and/or longevity. You do need to spend money on gear where it matters. You just don't have to spend at the high end of spectrum when you are comparing higher end companies
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/24/20 06:19 PM

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-H1rJiAFtw/?igshid=exppytsyq169

Here's a video kind of reiterating what Bobo is talking about.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/24/20 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-H1rJiAFtw/?igshid=exppytsyq169

Here's a video kind of reiterating what Bobo is talking about.

Big Part of it, I have no need for sitka waders but I damn sure see the allure of the rebuildable ability after living by Cabelas lifetime warranty “every other” year.

My simms out breath and out live my cabelas breathables 6-1. Neo’s I’m using Mack’s and havent had any issues but I image the boots will fail just like Cabelas neo’s here shortly.

Little things like that.

I’m no way advocating anyone spend money on gear over hunting opportunities but the higher end gear has a place especially in places where elements are not near as forgiving.

Posted By: Roughneck913

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/24/20 11:15 PM

Seeing as this is posted in the "Migratory bird" page, I'll start with my response specifically about the WF line. "Worth it" is a subjective standard, meaning it cannot be definitively answered. I own a LOT of Sitka gear (35ish pieces
across their lines) because I think it is the best stuff on the market in the waterfowl category. The waders are technically very similar to Simms, just with slight adjustments to make them more hunting friendly. I grew up hunting out of neoprene waders, and the last 3 seasons before buying Sitka waders, I used the Banded Red Zone waders. Due to my employment, I can get just about any neoprene wader or the red zones for a SUBSTANTIAL discount, but I still chose to pay retail for the Sitka ones. I usually get 2-3 seasons out of a pair of neoprene waders or Banded's before they break down.

Why?
The Sitka waders (and this applies to the whole WF line) won't directly help you kill more ducks. People who act like that's reasonable, or like that is the metric that matters are dumbasses. You can see it in this thread already. "oh my cheapo waders don't flare ducks, so they are fine." If that is your standard, good for you. That isn't my standard. What I want is a product that helps me kill ducks more COMFORTABLY. The Sitka WF line does that a number of ways.

Specifically on why I got their waders
-lightweight waders that don't feel like I'm fighting a bunch of rubber bands every time I lift my leg. I am REGULARLY less tired than the people I hunt with because of this, and it makes the walk in a hell of a lot more comfortable when we do it
-breathability, so that when I set decoys or walk, It doesn't feel like I'm wrapped in a trash bag and soaked in sweat when Im ready to take a seat and get to the fun part
-repairable which means I can send my waders in during the offseason and have them checked for leaks and patched on the off chance there is a leak I don't know about. This also means less downtime in season
-Durability that allows me to walk through flooded corn and be confident I'm not going to poke or tear a hole and end up wet after laying in a blind that might be super wet or muddy on soft ground.

Most of Sitka's WF line is incredibly well thought out and well constructed. I don't love Banded or Drake, because almost every piece I see from them has a pretty major flaw, whether it be fit, taped seams, pocket placement or anything else. Sitka just seems to get it "right" more often. Their baselayers are fine, but their insulation pieces and shells are spot on in my opinion. If you have any specific questions on specific products, let me know, I'm happy to help!

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/24/20 11:21 PM

I just find it funny you think anyone here is triggered because they are trying to answer the question the OP asked...

And while buying high-quality gear might not make YOU a better hunter, it can certainly make other peoples' hunt better, or longer, or more comfortable, or more likely to be successful.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/24/20 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Roughneck913

I just find it funny you think anyone here is triggered because they are trying to answer the question the OP asked...

And while buying high-quality gear might not make YOU a better hunter, it can certainly make other peoples' hunt better, or longer, or more comfortable, or more likely to be successful.

Roughneck, you like many others, wouldn’t have replied to him if it didn’t some how trigger you. roflmao

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/24/20 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

Good to know. The roto is terrible at ice retention, as in I want my money back

Must be an issue with the new ones, my father has one that’s 6 years old and holds ice with our rtic.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/25/20 01:41 AM

Seeing as this is posted in the "Migratory bird" page, I'll start with my response specifically about the WF line. "Worth it" is a subjective standard, meaning it cannot be definitively answered. I own a LOT of Sitka gear (35ish pieces
across their lines) because I think it is the best stuff on the market in the waterfowl category. The waders are technically very similar to Simms, just with slight adjustments to make them more hunting friendly. I grew up hunting out of neoprene waders, and the last 3 seasons before buying Sitka waders, I used the Banded Red Zone waders. Due to my employment, I can get just about any neoprene wader or the red zones for a SUBSTANTIAL discount, but I still chose to pay retail for the Sitka ones. I usually get 2-3 seasons out of a pair of neoprene waders or Banded's before they break down.

Why?
The Sitka waders (and this applies to the whole WF line) won't directly help you kill more ducks. People who act like that's reasonable, or like that is the metric that matters are dumbasses. You can see it in this thread already. "oh my cheapo waders don't flare ducks, so they are fine." If that is your standard, good for you. That isn't my standard. What I want is a product that helps me kill ducks more COMFORTABLY. The Sitka WF line does that a number of ways.

-lightweight waders that don't feel like I'm fighting a bunch of rubber bands every time I lift my leg. I am REGULARLY less tired than the people I hunt with because of this, and it makes the walk in a hell of a lot more comfortable when we do it
-breathability, so that when I set decoys or walk, It doesn't feel like I'm wrapped in a trash bag and soaked in sweat when Im ready to take a seat and get to the fun part
-repairable which means I can send my waders in during the offseason and have them checked for leaks and patched on the off chance there is a leak I don't know about. This also means less downtime in season
-Durability that allows me to walk through flooded corn and be confident I'm not going to poke or tear a hole and end up wet after laying in a blind that might be super wet or muddy on soft ground.

Most of Sitka's WF line is incredibly well thought out and well constructed. I don't love Banded or Drake, because almost every piece I see from them has a pretty major flaw, whether it be fit, taped seams, pocket placement or anything else. Sitka just seems to get it "right" more often. Their baselayers are fine, but their insulation pieces and shells are spot on in my opinion. If you have any specific questions on specific products, let me know, I'm happy to help!

Can you pass along that substantial discount?
Also gonna go ahead and guess you’re either not from Texas or hunt out of state quite a bit. We don’t have flooded corn, unless you’re dumping bags in the tank you lease.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/25/20 01:44 AM

I my opinion yes, it’s expensive but very good gear. If you mountain hunt or hunt in extreme conditions it’s worth every penny. If you hunt out of a box blind with a buddy heater it’s an absolute waste of money.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/25/20 12:32 PM

Only question I've got is can you pass that discount along? roflmao

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/25/20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
Only question I've got is can you pass that discount along? roflmao

Check this guy out, a lot of people use him to buy new Sitka gear, he's a dealer and offers good discounts.

Also on facebook there are a few buy/sell Sitka groups where you can get some stuff cheaper than new. But always always pay with payapl goods and services. If they ask for friends or family payment, or venmo, nope out of that and report them, there is a 99% chance that person is a scammer.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/25/20 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by 68A

Why?

Also gonna go ahead and guess you’re either not from Texas or hunt out of state quite a bit. We don’t have flooded corn, unless you’re dumping bags in the tank you lease.

Haha, if I could pass on the discount I would! You are correct, Im not native to Texas. I lived in Spring (north of Houston) for about 5 years, moved home to the midwest for a couple years, and in January moved to the north DFW area. Though Ive never hunted flooded corn in Texas, I'd say my point applies to a lot of the walk in hunting Ive done around Somerville Lake, as well some cow-pasture ponds Ive hunted around the Houston area.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/25/20 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by rickym

Roughneck, you like many others, wouldn’t have replied to him if it didn’t some how trigger you. roflmao

I wouldn't consider myself "triggered" at all by his comments, just hoping to inform those who are actually here seeking knowledge (or opinions). I'm hardly a die-hard brand guy like his original comment is aimed at in the first place, and I don't make money off of Sitka selling more stuff, so Im not sure why you think his comment would "trigger" me, or what about my replied sounded triggered.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/25/20 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by 68A

Why?

Haha, if I could pass on the discount I would! You are correct, Im not native to Texas. I lived in Spring (north of Houston) for about 5 years, moved home to the midwest for a couple years, and in January moved to the north DFW area. Though Ive never hunted flooded corn in Texas, I'd say my point applies to a lot of the walk in hunting Ive done around Somerville Lake, as well some cow-pasture ponds Ive hunted around the Houston area.

Well, welcome back to Texas.

Re: Sitka worth it? - 03/26/20 01:08 AM

https://www.facebook.com/clete.burkemper

The sitka dealer, realized I didn't post link earlier
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum