Texas Hunting Forum

Any cool additions?

Posted By: 2flyfish4

Any cool additions? - 02/21/20 04:17 AM

Anyone adding any cool additions to the gear this year?

I'm not adding anything big. I sent a gun off to get cerakoted and should get it back in the next week or two. I also picked up a Bill Saunders Traffic goose call and an RNT Barbelly spec call. I want to get some nice seat covers for the truck. Maybe a case of boss shells, but I still have over 20 boxes of steel and kent bismuth so may wait till the following year. Will likely pick up some more decoys because you can never have enough.

Speaking of decoys what are yalls opinions/experience with divebomb silhouettes? Been thinking up picking up a few dozen canada dekes. They seem to be priced well.

What new gear are yall adding this offseason?
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/21/20 04:49 AM

Sitka zip waders will be my big purchase.

Might pick up some new stuff from Aves hunting once their 2020 gear drops.

Rig em right refuge runner decoy bag will be another purchase too.
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/21/20 01:15 PM

A pup!

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/21/20 01:30 PM

I've got a refuge runner bag. You will probably like it
Posted By: Eastxhuntr

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/21/20 02:12 PM

Having a brand new McLain trailer built. Thankfully I should be done on gear besides some more Sitka.

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/21/20 04:38 PM

I don't necessarily know if it's a cool addition, but if I get drawn, I'll be going to Montana this year for a swan hunt.
Had a guy offer to take me in trade for drake wood duck feathers. I like that kind of trade.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/21/20 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
I don't necessarily know if it's a cool addition, but if I get drawn, I'll be going to Montana this year for a swan hunt.
Had a guy offer to take me in trade for drake wood duck feathers. I like that kind of trade.

Lucky sob. I’d put a guy on a guaranteed shot opportunity wood duck hunt lol.
Posted By: OTL91

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/21/20 11:32 PM

I have divebombs and I love them for two reasons. Price and the ability to fit a bunch of them in the boat when we are hunting water.

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/21/20 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by rickym

Lucky sob. I’d put a guy on a guaranteed shot opportunity wood duck hunt lol.

That's how it started. I said I'd trade someone a wood duck hunt for a swan hunt. He messaged saying if I could get drawn all he wanted was wood duck feathers.
I guess each flyway has its specific birds and people love wood ducks, so they're willing to trade hunts.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/22/20 03:33 AM

I’ll say...Goodnight, that will set you back! Do they offer financing?

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/22/20 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Greg

I’ll say...Goodnight, that will set you back! Do they offer financing?

Haha, they might.
Lifetime warranty is pretty invaluable though. And being able to pee without derobing and having to find dry land will make it all worth it.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/22/20 01:37 PM

That's winning
Posted By: tophorsecop

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/22/20 03:28 PM

Actually I believe the yellow/gold/black tip side feathers on a woodie drake are highly prized by fly tyers...seems like game [censored] neck capes and then woodie feathers...make the fly tyer hearts go pitter patter...i think i remember by the pound the gold woodie feathers are most valuable...so few of them per bird ?

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/22/20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by tophorsecop
Actually I believe the yellow/gold/black tip side feathers on a woodie drake are highly prized by fly tyers...seems like game [censored] neck capes and then woodie feathers...make the fly tyer hearts go pitter patter...i think i remember by the pound the gold woodie feathers are most valuable...so few of them per bird ?

Yes, that's why he wants them.
He said 7 mallard limit and a Swan, yes please!
Posted By: Windrider

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/22/20 10:13 PM

I got a puppy last fall. He’s off at training right now.

I have a county line layout boat on order. My back is starting to give me problems again and it’s getting harder to get the big boat. I’m preparing for the inevitable.

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/23/20 02:32 PM

That's pretty cool. What model county line did you get? I really like their boats and have been thinking of getting one as well.
Posted By: Windrider

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/23/20 10:57 PM

I got the 1344.

I’m putting a 13hp swomp on it.

Should run very shallow and should weigh less than 400lbs all up. Sitting on a tilt trailer, it should launch pretty easy.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/24/20 01:45 AM

Boat is on my list for this year. Probably something less expensive that will carry 2 plus gear. We're moving up from kayaks so it will be a welcome change. Second year, if it survives, we'll start making changes. Rounded bottom, better motor.

Also, Dr Duck coming out with some flocked head decoys later this year. Might give them a look.

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/24/20 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by jnd59
Boat is on my list for this year. Probably something less expensive that will carry 2 plus gear. We're moving up from kayaks so it will be a welcome change. Second year, if it survives, we'll start making changes. Rounded bottom, better motor.

Also, Dr Duck coming out with some flocked head decoys later this year. Might give them a look.

Look at lifetime decoys. Yes, they're expensive, but they're awesome. So light.
Posted By: TBS12

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/24/20 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
Anyone adding any cool additions to the gear this year?

I'm not adding anything big. I sent a gun off to get cerakoted and should get it back in the next week or two. I also picked up a Bill Saunders Traffic goose call and an RNT Barbelly spec call. I want to get some nice seat covers for the truck. Maybe a case of boss shells, but I still have over 20 boxes of steel and kent bismuth so may wait till the following year. Will likely pick up some more decoys because you can never have enough.

Speaking of decoys what are yalls opinions/experience with divebomb silhouettes? Been thinking up picking up a few dozen canada dekes. They seem to be priced well.

What new gear are yall adding this offseason?

Who did you go with to cerakote your gun?

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/24/20 08:11 PM

Allegiant rifleworks in McKinney. Went with a worn olive drab look. I should have it back this week. Cost $300 for barrel, action and trigger guard. I've heard good things about allegiant this is the first time using them. I'll report back on how it looks.
Posted By: TBS12

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/25/20 04:37 PM

Okay thanks, I'm in the process of looking at cerakote options as my well. The original camo pattern on my shotgun is starting to flake on the receiver.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Any cool additions? - 02/27/20 02:46 PM

Excellent. Hopefully you get drawn.

I got a new blind backpack for Christmas that I like a lot. Got a new extended choke and a wader bag late last season. That’s all I need and I’ll count it towards off season spending.

Re: Any cool additions? - 04/03/20 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by TBS12
Okay thanks, I'm in the process of looking at cerakote options as my well. The original camo pattern on my shotgun is starting to flake on the receiver.

Are you on Instagram? I posted pics of my gun you can take a look at.
2flyfish4
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum