Texas Hunting Forum

Guide/first timer duck help

Posted By: Deadlo

Guide/first timer duck help - 12/09/19 02:42 AM

New to fort hood/Harker heights area from Florida. Have done some dove hunting before, and bow hunted a couple times, but have never duck hunted. Did way more fishing in Florida.

Is there anyone in this area guides? Or anyone on here who can help me get started? Would love someone to go over what I need, and just answer the general questions for a first timer. Not looking to steal spots! I know just like fishing we all put tons of hours and time into finding our spots. I’ve been the guy to help people get into saltwater fly fishing in Florida many times, and have saved buddies tons of money and frustration getting started. Was hoping for something similar for this.

I am also on a waitlist for a golden retriever. He’s part of the reason I want to get into duck hunting. My old lab was a natural on the dove field.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Guide/first timer duck help - 12/09/19 04:16 AM

You sure you're monetarily ready to get into duck hunting?! Technically all you need is a gun and shells, but before you know it you're 3k in wanting a boat, more decoys and calls, etc. Good luck, it's addicting. I'm no help to you in that area. First though, I'd get a subscription to onX hunt app, find a local wma or corps lake, and then use that app to scout those areas online. Then go check that area out in person.

Re: Guide/first timer duck help - 12/09/19 01:16 PM

Haha yeah I heard it can get pricey. Gotta pay to play though. Ok cool I’ll check that out, thanks!
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: Guide/first timer duck help - 12/09/19 03:16 PM

I run up in that area on occasion. There are 3 lakes within a drive of there that you can hunt.

Re: Guide/first timer duck help - 12/14/19 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Boudreaux
I run up in that area on occasion. There are 3 lakes within a drive of there that you can hunt.

I live in Harker heights which is pretty close to stillhouse and Belton. What do you guys recommend buying at first? Are there any guides in this area? Would love to do a hunt just to see what it’s about and figure out what I need before buying it all.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum