Texas Hunting Forum

Kansas Bound this Friday

Posted By: jnd59

Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/19/19 04:49 AM

Youngest and I are heading to Kansas Friday. Plan to hunt Cheyenne Bottoms Saturday and Sunday morning, then to northeast Kansas for wild pheasant in the morning and released in the afternoon. Tuesday back at ducks and geese somewhere in southern Kansas. Reports are it's been slow up there. With the high water this spring seed plants didn't germinate in the bottoms. I'm hoping a poor Kansas day is at least as good as a good North Texas day.
Posted By: nak

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/19/19 01:29 PM

I got a big dose of pheasants last week in SD.

We will be in Kansas, about an hour west-southwest of Cheyenne Bottoms, Friday - Monday hunting quail.

Word is that the pheasants are so-so in that area, but the quail are pretty good. I'll leave all the ducks and geese for you.
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/19/19 01:49 PM

Looking forward to the report.

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/20/19 07:11 AM

Update...
We changed plans to east Kansas as it appears the floods did not affect those areas as bad. Bummer, I really wanted to hunt Cheyenne Bottoms but a difference of 20-30 thousand ducks is very persuasive. CB still holds more geese at 209,000. We're going to Neosho if anyone has info.

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/20/19 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by nak
I got a big dose of pheasants last week in SD.

We will be in Kansas, about an hour west-southwest of Cheyenne Bottoms, Friday - Monday hunting quail.

Word is that the pheasants are so-so in that area, but the quail are pretty good. I'll leave all the ducks and geese for you.

We'll be hunting pheasant up in Palmer near the Nebraska border. Scattered Acres is where we are staying and hunting. This will be my son's first upland hunt behind dogs.
Posted By: gillom

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/20/19 02:58 PM

Was in SE KS last week. Every cut corn field held thousands of geese. 1 out of 4 ponds had a couple dozen mallards or so. I'd say the 'poor day in KS is better than a good day in North Texas' is accurate.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/20/19 03:54 PM

Good plan change. Last weekend I drove up through Wichita to Salina, West to Oakley, then down through Liberal. Spent a few days hunting phez and quail. Did not see a single flight of waterfowl the entire time we were in Kansas.
Posted By: Drakes&Drahts

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/20/19 06:50 PM

Keep us updated with your trip and how hunting for both upland and waterfowl goes. Me and some buddies are headed to Kansas after Christmas with a trailer full of Canada and duck decoys (floaters/full bodies). We will also have two Drahthaars with us so we plan on doing some upland hunting as well. this will be our first time hunting Kansas so any info is much appreciated.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/20/19 07:30 PM

I've hunted the Cheyenne Bottoms in the past...more people than I preferred and the birds are so pressured it's a ton of pass shooting with very few birds actually finishing. Not my cup of tea.

Good luck and have a great trip.
Posted By: OTL91

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/21/19 04:51 AM

PM sent.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/21/19 02:01 PM

Good luck, let us know the results.

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/21/19 02:47 PM

PM Responded

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/24/19 02:10 AM

Got here last night. Scouted this morning and took a stab at it this afternoon. Ducks started flying about sunset. We're at it early tomorrow morning. Based on what was flying, mostly teal and greenheads.
I'll send pictures once I figure out how.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/24/19 11:43 PM

Be glad you missed the first fight opening weekend. Heard it was a good one. Guy got his jaw broke.

Birds are in the area. We had a decent hunt in between deer hunts.

[Linked Image]

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/25/19 05:26 PM

My knee was giving me problems so we slept in Sunday. Traveled to palmer for pheasant. Had limit opportunities this morning. Still have this afternoon. It was dry and windy this morning. The ducks at Neosho are well educated. They started flying just after shooting time. We're back at them Tuesday.

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/26/19 04:48 PM

Ended up with a decent number of pheasant. Should have shot better. This mornings was warm, cloudy and still
Had birds working but no takers. Even the honker decoys just sat there. Left the nerk rig in the motel. It was supposed to be 10 out of sw.

Re: Kansas Bound this Friday - 11/28/19 04:39 PM

Well, duck hunting was a bust for us. Partially because i wasn't table to move around well. As with most big marshes, a boat would have been better for scouting. We only used the kayaks one afternoon. Tuesday morning we had both ducks and geese working our spread but there was no wind and I'd left the jerk rig at the truck. It was supposed to be 5-10 mph. Even the goose floaters weren't moving. I'll post pictures and comments on Neosho in a separate topic. We will go back, but I'm taking a boat next time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum