Texas Hunting Forum

Doc says Tara is done for the season.....

Posted By: Guy

Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/16/19 06:13 PM

She cut the inside of her leg in 2 places yesterday hunting. The small cut above her paw doc said she cut her tendon, and says it needs to heel naturally, no running 1 to 3 months see how it goes. She walking on it without limping this morning which is a good sign, I hope she gets to hunt end of season would be nice.

[Linked Image]

Doc said there would probably be discharge and swelling, ice pack twice a day. Have not as seen discharge and swelling not bad, not pain meds today, and she is not limping on that leg and doc said she probably would, so it looks like the is doing very good I got my fingers crossed...
[Linked Image]

Here last retrieve...
[Linked Image]

Lesson learned, I did not see how she cut herself. I know she was lanching off boat from the back driver set there, and I’m guessing landed on the prop. This prop is really sharp where I’m pointing. Normall when I release her I don’t even see her launch my eyes are focused on the down bird. I probably need to drop that prop real low, or raise it out the water,and probably not let her hunt from there any more. She could cut herself just swimming over that prop.

[Linked Image]

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/16/19 06:19 PM

I'm might just start wrapping that prob with something, like rubber..
Posted By: RayB

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/16/19 06:23 PM

Hope there's no permanent damage she's a pretty girl

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/16/19 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by RayB

I hope not either. Doc said it should heal fine (1 to 3 months) and I might not even see a difference in her, she is not limping so I think that is a good sign.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/16/19 06:46 PM

Hope she heals well and soon. That's a good sign that she is able to walk on it. Good luck to both of you.

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/16/19 06:50 PM

she's a pretty girl

Thanks, she is a sweet girl when she knows you. But she has to meet you a few times before she will not growl at you. People always want to pet her, and tell them go slow hand low, palm up, she has never bitten anyone but she might lol. I leave her in font seat of truck at times with her window down while I run in the store, she protects my truck and boat. I'll be inside store and keeping a watch, I see people walk towards her want to pet her, they get about 5 yards from her and I see them turn around and go the other way lol, I know she growls at them. clap

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/16/19 06:55 PM

Since last duck season I have lost 35 lbs, so at least I'm in good enough shape to fetch my own ducks. roflmao

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/16/19 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Since last duck season I have lost 35 lbs, so at least I'm in good enough shape to fetch my own ducks. roflmao

I know where your 35 lbs went. Just tell me where to send it to...
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/16/19 07:12 PM

Sucks my lab is on the IR. She got into some barbed wire last Sunday. Removing the stitches Monday. So between the pro drive lower going out and a vet bill I'm into the season 2800 unforseen. hammer
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/16/19 07:18 PM

Sorry to hear that Guy. Hope she heals better than ever and soon.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/16/19 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat1

+1
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/17/19 02:19 AM

Bummer on Tara getting nicked up Guy. Since I met you and Tara a couple years ago at the snake breaking clinic at stinkbellies in Weatherford, I have followed your posts working with Tara. You have done good with her. I know it sucks for the both of you but it happens. As much as you try to keep them safe, working bird dogs have a rough and tumble existence. It seems to me like the harder a dog goes, the more apt they are to get injured. Hopefully she will make a full and speedy recovery. I know the boat is gonna seem empty without her in the interim...
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/17/19 03:12 AM

Sucks she got hurt, but glad the Doc was able to take care of her.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/17/19 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hopedale
Sucks she got hurt, but glad the Doc was able to take care of her.

Hope you can get her out before the end of the season...
Posted By: BDB

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/17/19 03:27 PM

Sorry to hear this. Hope she recovers fully. I've always wanted a chocolate female lab when I get my first dog one day.

But now you have room in your boat for me elmer
Posted By: outfitter1

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/17/19 03:44 PM

Sorry about the injury, just don't rush her . Let it heal and take it slow a duck is not worth having her having problems and not enjoying the thing she loves to do.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/17/19 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
she's a pretty girl

Thanks, she is a sweet girl when she knows you. But she has to meet you a few times before she will not growl at you. People always want to pet her, and tell them go slow hand low, palm up, she has never bitten anyone but she might lol. I leave her in font seat of truck at times with her window down while I run in the store, she protects my truck and boat. I'll be inside store and keeping a watch, I see people walk towards her want to pet her, they get about 5 yards from her and I see them turn around and go the other way lol, I know she growls at them. clap

I had a brown gyp that was like that. She bit a couple people, always a nip on the leg as they were walking away.
Posted By: QuackShack

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/17/19 06:50 PM

Sorry to hear Guy!
Hunted Thur and Friday and had to go to work right after so I didn’t take Annie with me. You dont realize how nice it is having a dog until you have to do a long retrieve yourself or how lonely it is without the dog there or birds you could have shot instead of retrieving downed birds.

Here is to a speedy recovery.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/17/19 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat1
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/18/19 03:08 AM

It wouldn't have happened if you had a ProDrive.... But seriously, sorry to hear about your pup. Over the years my lab has had some season ending or delaying injuries and it stinks. Going to be hard to keep her from moving too much while she is healing for that long.

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/18/19 02:22 PM

Thanks for the comments, she is doing remarkably well. Little swelling, no discharge l, and she walking and walking fast I have to slow her down, she shows no signs of injury in her walk. Doc said 1 to 3 months, I’m hoping it is 1 month would be great. She gets her stitches out 11/25. I will be real interested in what doc says, I got my fingers crossed..
Posted By: Judd

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/18/19 05:35 PM

Good luck...man that sucks. With all the trash in these lakes and around them it's hard telling what did it.

Barbed wire scares me...Oakley's old jacket had three small streaks from barbed wire on it and ever since then I've been super scared and aware of it. They can get ripped open very easily.

Hope Guy and DnB's dogs heal quicker than projected.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/18/19 11:46 PM

Hey Guy no judgement just a suggestion
https://www.mackspw.com/MOMARSH-DOG-RAMP-STAND

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/19/19 12:29 AM

Yeah I need to get one of those, I like that one too.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/19/19 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Guy

Dude I think ole Kevin Buckley has one sitting. I know dang good and well it ain't being used.

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/19/19 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
Originally Posted by Guy

Dude I think ole Kevin Buckley has one sitting. I know dang good and well it ain't being used.

Really all I need is more crap to carry in my boat. I normally just put her on her dog stand, I had it with me, I should have used it. Normally if she is in boat, she sits on my center bench and can launch after bird from either side of boat.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/19/19 03:40 AM

Sorry to hear about this Guy. Hope she gets well soon.
Posted By: tdogg

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/19/19 02:11 PM

She's a trouper, I'm sure she will be back to hunting in no time. Definitely one of the best hunting dogs out there. This is still my all time favorite picture of her.

[Linked Image]

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/19/19 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by tdogg
She's a trouper, I'm sure she will be back to hunting in no time. Definitely one of the best hunting dogs out there. This is still my all time favorite picture of her.

[Linked Image]

Great picture.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/20/19 03:34 PM

How my Grand Pup doing??? hate to see that injury...could have been the prop but also anything just below the surface.. I saw a stump the other day that had 4 different blades in it..all aluminum that had broke off from peoples props...That stump when the lake is at normal level is just below the surface
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/20/19 03:43 PM

Dammit man, sorry to hear that. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/20/19 04:13 PM

Beautiful photo

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/26/19 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

I hope not either. Doc said it should heal fine (1 to 3 months) and I might not even see a difference in her, she is not limping so I think that is a good sign.

Took her in for checkup yesterday, doc said she is doing great and looks like she should for sure be able to hunt this season. Take her back in one week to get stitches out, doc will be able to give me better idea when she can hunt. I'm pretty excited to get her back, doc used the word "miracle" with her recovery. Still got my fingers crossed lol.

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/26/19 07:49 PM

I know you must be missing what she brings to the blind. Sounds like as good of news as you could hope for.

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/27/19 12:27 AM

Woohoo! Awesome news!

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/29/19 05:40 PM

Took her in to get stitches out, doc said she looks perfectly healed and I can take her hunting just maybe take a little easy, 2 more weeks and she is completely out of the woods. Sure am glad to get her back. I learned good lesson on that prop.

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/30/19 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Guy
Took her in to get stitches out, doc said she looks perfectly healed and I can take her hunting just maybe take a little easy, 2 more weeks and she is completely out of the woods. Sure am glad to get her back. I learned good lesson on that prop.

That's awesome news Guy! Congrats!

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/30/19 01:36 AM

Happy times for the both of you and just in time to get Tara out before the first split ends.
up

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/30/19 02:15 AM

Great news.

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 11/30/19 02:31 AM

Good news. Now we just need more birds
Posted By: Stub

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 12/01/19 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by tdogg

[Linked Image]

Great picture and news on Tara's recovery cheers
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 12/01/19 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Great news.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 12/01/19 06:04 PM

Glad Tara has healed up so fast. Even better as it looks to be a full recovery.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 12/04/19 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Guy

Took her in for checkup yesterday, doc said she is doing great and looks like she should for sure be able to hunt this season. Take her back in one week to get stitches out, doc will be able to give me better idea when she can hunt. I'm pretty excited to get her back, doc used the word "miracle" with her recovery. Still got my fingers crossed lol.

I understand our dogs are hunting tools but I’m surely you are like I am - they are a family member don’t rush it - my little Cocker had necrosis of the hip at nine months old she’s six now tour muscle but I’ve been hunting her as well probably shouldn’t but she’s doing better

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 12/04/19 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Greekangler
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Guy

I understand our dogs are hunting tools but I’m surely you are like I am - they are a family member don’t rush it - my little Cocker had necrosis of the hip at nine months old she’s six now tour muscle but I’ve been hunting her as well probably shouldn’t but she’s doing better

I view my dog as family and hunting buddy, not a tool. Part of hunting for me is camping, and love having her with me. This weekend we did not even hunt, just camped and scouted. Really tho even if you consider your dog as a tool, you need to take care of your tools. Or it will cost you, this one was $650. But her injuries now, you can barely see a scare.

[Linked Image]

Re: Doc says Tara is done for the season..... - 12/04/19 03:56 AM

cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum