Texas Hunting Forum

new blackcloud shells

Posted By: txtrophy85

new blackcloud shells - 11/12/19 11:10 PM

went to buy a few boxes today, saw some hot loads in 3" that were 1625 fps

Also saw some 2 3/4 " that had 1 1/8th oz. of shot @ 1500 fps.

Anyone use these?
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: new blackcloud shells - 11/12/19 11:30 PM

I used blackcloud, my gun and choke hated them. Full of holes.

Boss is where it's at.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: new blackcloud shells - 11/13/19 02:36 PM

I have some friends that use Blackcloud and that is all they cycle through their gun. I personally use Hevi Steel. My SBEII cycles them flawlessly. Now put a Kent in my gun and it flat out hates them. Won't cycle and constant jams.
Posted By: 68A

Re: new blackcloud shells - 11/13/19 02:53 PM

Not a fan of black cloud and definitely not a fan of those fast loads. In my experience, they cant hold a decent pattern. I prefer something in the 1300-1400ish range.
Posted By: huck18

Re: new blackcloud shells - 11/13/19 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
I have some friends that use Blackcloud and that is all they cycle through their gun. I personally use Hevi Steel. My SBEII cycles them flawlessly. Now put a Kent in my gun and it flat out hates them. Won't cycle and constant jams.

Weird, Kent 3" #4 shot patterns and cycles great in my SBEII.

Re: new blackcloud shells - 11/13/19 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 68A
Not a fan of black cloud and definitely not a fan of those fast loads. In my experience, they cant hold a decent pattern. I prefer something in the 1300-1400ish range.

there's actually a lot of truth to that on fast loads. And even if steel is shooting 1500 fps at the muzzle, it loses 200 fps at like 30' I believe it is.
Jim Muller of Muller chokes also has a video on fast loads and says they're fine for close range clays bc it can shorten your lead, but that's really their only advantage.
Brandon, the owner of Boss also goes in depth on shotshells, with proven science, explaining why their Bismuth shells are better than any steel load out there. And the fact that it's a smaller company with great values, it's easy to stand behind.
Posted By: 68A

Re: new blackcloud shells - 11/13/19 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
Originally Posted by 68A

there's actually a lot of truth to that on fast loads. And even if steel is shooting 1500 fps at the muzzle, it loses 200 fps at like 30' I believe it is.
Jim Muller of Muller chokes also has a video on fast loads and says they're fine for close range clays bc it can shorten your lead, but that's really their only advantage.
Brandon, the owner of Boss also goes in depth on shotshells, with proven science, explaining why their Bismuth shells are better than any steel load out there. And the fact that it's a smaller company with great values, it's easy to stand behind.

I’m running Kent bismuth currently, it patterned we’ll for me. I was looking at the Boss website awhile back, I really like their offerings as far as speed is concerned. I’ll probably buy a case after this season.
Posted By: tdogg

Re: new blackcloud shells - 11/13/19 04:38 PM

I bought a case of the cheap monarch shells 3inch #4 1550 FPS, and have been folding ducks like oragami this year.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: new blackcloud shells - 11/13/19 06:21 PM

I used to run the lighter payload, FAST steel and realized it was just better to run quality ammo.

That being said-- I LOVE the federal flite control wad... I don't know how it will hold up at that high velocity. My experience with Black Cloud and with the Federal Turkey loads with flite control were AWESOME for the patterns... but they were DIRTY, which isn't good for a gas gun.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: new blackcloud shells - 11/13/19 07:44 PM

Shotgun shells are a lot like fishing lures, spend a lot on advertising and different colors for every sucker.

Most all steel loads made today are far better than what they were 25 years, if you can shoot, the type shell you use is less of an issue if your on the bird.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: new blackcloud shells - 11/14/19 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by huck18
Originally Posted by 4Weight

Weird, Kent 3" #4 shot patterns and cycles great in my SBEII.

I know man right. Happened multiple times in the field. Had a guide friend with same gun and gave my last 3 boxes to him. His gun cycles them great. Even sent mine back to Benelli and it still doesn’t like them. It’s all good I just feed them to it anymore.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: new blackcloud shells - 11/15/19 04:13 PM

Black Cloud shells SUCK! Ive had more blank fires and mis-haps with their shells than any other.
Posted By: Delta Duckman

Re: new blackcloud shells - 11/15/19 07:59 PM

It's not the arrows, it's the Indian...

Re: new blackcloud shells - 11/16/19 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Delta Duckman
It's not the arrows, it's the Indian...

You say that but when I patterned blackcloud it was absolutely full of holes. And it's an extremely dirty load too
Posted By: outfitter1

Re: new blackcloud shells - 11/17/19 03:39 PM

Every gun and choke are different. Pattern your gun and go with the shell it likes best. My gun likes different shells with different choke tubes, it just is a matter of finding the one that works best.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum