Texas Hunting Forum

Wanting to learn to duck hunt in Central Texas

Posted By: crtucker90

Wanting to learn to duck hunt in Central Texas - 11/07/19 05:28 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but would love to learn to duck hunt. I am a college student in Austin and I've deer hunted for several years, but am brand new to ducks. I have a 12 gauge, a dozen decoys, a mojo battery powered decoy, and am good at being quiet and listening to what you tell me to do. Like I said I'm a college student so I don't have a ton of money, but I'm happy to pay someone to let me tag along with them on a hunt or two and show me the ropes of how to properly hunt waterfowl. I'm also happy to drive to the Houston or Dallas areas to meet up with someone as well. Thanks!

I also have a ranch outside of Waco and am happy to trade deer hunting privileges for duck hunting haha.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Wanting to learn to duck hunt in Central Texas - 11/08/19 05:02 PM

Welcome to the THF
Posted By: NeKro

Re: Wanting to learn to duck hunt in Central Texas - 11/08/19 05:25 PM

Welcome to the forum! I am brand new to hunting and also wanting to learn how to hunt duck. There's some helpful people here and even one took me out to try out dove hunting and got hooked.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Wanting to learn to duck hunt in Central Texas - 11/08/19 06:01 PM

Welcome to the forum

First rule you need to know is don't name a lake on here. It isn't a rule, but some folks lose their mind.

Second, do you have waders?

You'll need them for hunting and the ribbing that goes on here.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Wanting to learn to duck hunt in Central Texas - 11/08/19 08:00 PM

Welcome, have you dove hunted or shot at any moving targets with your 12 gauge?
Posted By: crtucker90

Re: Wanting to learn to duck hunt in Central Texas - 11/09/19 04:11 AM

Yes, I have waders. Eager to get them wet for the first time! And I have shot clay pigeons with my 12 gauge, but not anything alive that moves yet.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Wanting to learn to duck hunt in Central Texas - 11/09/19 01:28 PM

I bet you will find someone in your area that will take you. I remember money being tight being in college, but you might try and scrape enough together for a guide in your area. It can be a great way to learn and hopefully they’ve done their homework and can put you on the birds. If I had a running boat, then I’d take you. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Wanting to learn to duck hunt in Central Texas - 11/09/19 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by ndhunter
Welcome to the THF
Posted By: smirly22

Re: Wanting to learn to duck hunt in Central Texas - 11/11/19 03:59 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I was lucky enough to have a buddy that knew a few basic ideas of duck hunting when i first started. Basic rules to start....(not the only ones).

Scout the body of water you plan to hunt and know the regulations. (More than likely you won't shoot ducks where there arent ducks the mornings you scout.)

If hunting public water, do not set up close to another hunter who was there before you. He got up early and earned that spot. Respect his effort and move farther away than you think you need to.

Always have more cover (a better blind than you think you need)

Starting out, watch how ducks act on the water, videos or in person preferably. Build your decoy spreads based on what you see. (Ducks preferably like to land into some degree of wind.)

Know your shotgun and its spread with the ammo your using. 40yds is most of the time the max range you should shoot at ducks. Pattern your gun and ammo and know what it is capable of. Dont go blasting at ducks sky high and dont shoot or call ducks that are working or thinking of working another public hunters spread.

Get a duck whistle and a duck call. The duck blind is not the place to start learning to call. Carry your call everyday in your vehicle and practice while driving. Watch reputable videos. First learn the basic quack, then the welcome call, and the feeding call. If hunting with seasoned hunters, let them call, if you want to try, ask them. When calling ducks, a genral rule is to call when you see wingtips and tail feathers, not when they are coming directly at you. Practice is the most important thing. And watch their reaction to your calls, you will not be a good caller at first, stay with it and pay attention.

Most important rule is ... have fun and help those around you (in your blind or sorrounding hunters) to have fun as well. Duck hunting is addicting and some forget that people are trying their best and may not know all the little gray areas.
The world is full of hunters that think the only rhing that matters is killimg ducks. Truth is, killing ducks is a reward for the awesome experience of working hard to get better at something so pure that you love to do.

I hope you have good luck, and dont be afraid to go out on yoir own and enjoy a sunrise and the quiet of a duck blind.

Re: Wanting to learn to duck hunt in Central Texas - 11/11/19 04:05 AM

there are some good guides here by Austin where I live. I am a fisherman so I have a kayak, and would like to buy a blind for it. I would like to take it out soon for some ducks. But getting a guide is something I want to do so I can learn.
Posted By: smirly22

Re: Wanting to learn to duck hunt in Central Texas - 11/11/19 04:45 AM

Guides can definitely help if you find a good one and pay close attention. Kayaks are fun to hunt out of sometimes. Get to the water earlier than you think is neccessary.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Wanting to learn to duck hunt in Central Texas - 11/11/19 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by smirly22
Welcome to the forum.

I was lucky enough to have a buddy that knew a few basic ideas of duck hunting when i first started. Basic rules to start....(not the only ones).

Scout the body of water you plan to hunt and know the regulations. (More than likely you won't shoot ducks where there arent ducks the mornings you scout.)

If hunting public water, do not set up close to another hunter who was there before you. He got up early and earned that spot. Respect his effort and move farther away than you think you need to.

Always have more cover (a better blind than you think you need)

Starting out, watch how ducks act on the water, videos or in person preferably. Build your decoy spreads based on what you see. (Ducks preferably like to land into some degree of wind.)

Know your shotgun and its spread with the ammo your using. 40yds is most of the time the max range you should shoot at ducks. Pattern your gun and ammo and know what it is capable of. Dont go blasting at ducks sky high and dont shoot or call ducks that are working or thinking of working another public hunters spread.

Get a duck whistle and a duck call. The duck blind is not the place to start learning to call. Carry your call everyday in your vehicle and practice while driving. Watch reputable videos. First learn the basic quack, then the welcome call, and the feeding call. If hunting with seasoned hunters, let them call, if you want to try, ask them. When calling ducks, a genral rule is to call when you see wingtips and tail feathers, not when they are coming directly at you. Practice is the most important thing. And watch their reaction to your calls, you will not be a good caller at first, stay with it and pay attention.

Most important rule is ... have fun and help those around you (in your blind or sorrounding hunters) to have fun as well. Duck hunting is addicting and some forget that people are trying their best and may not know all the little gray areas.
The world is full of hunters that think the only rhing that matters is killimg ducks. Truth is, killing ducks is a reward for the awesome experience of working hard to get better at something so pure that you love to do.

I hope you have good luck, and dont be afraid to go out on yoir own and enjoy a sunrise and the quiet of a duck blind.

Great post smirly22. Some solid advice.
up

Re: Wanting to learn to duck hunt in Central Texas - 11/11/19 05:56 PM

Smirly22 thank you for that post, very well done. Cant wait to hopefully dabble into duck hunting this season.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum