Texas Hunting Forum

DIY Panhandle trip

Posted By: aggiehunter15

DIY Panhandle trip - 10/31/19 04:43 AM

Been toying with the idea for a while. This year my work schedule allows me 6 days to sneak away for a duck hunt road trip. Would a DIY trip to the Panhandle be possible or should I direct my attention elsewhere for a DIY trip like this? Are landowners friendly to day use hunting or is it similar to down south where it is very hard to hunt unless you own land/go public? I'll probably go with a guide service one day but everything else would like to do my own scouting/door knocking/hunting if possible.
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: DIY Panhandle trip - 10/31/19 11:55 AM

Pretty much all the water/plays are leased up by outfitters up there. You can get access to fields, but with all the outfitters the land owners are accustomed to receiving $100-$250 a day that they grant access.

Personally I would go to a different state that has more public land access.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: DIY Panhandle trip - 10/31/19 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
Pretty much all the water/plays are leased up by outfitters up there. You can get access to fields, but with all the outfitters the land owners are accustomed to receiving $100-$250 a day that they grant access.

Personally I would go to a different state that has more public land access.

I agree, the panhandle will be hard to get access to. Even for the fields, tracking down a land owner is about down right impossible. There's also no duck hunting WMA's up there either.
Posted By: txninja

Re: DIY Panhandle trip - 10/31/19 01:43 PM

I've lived here for 30 + years and I would not bet on a landowner letting you hunt, and tracking the landowner down could eat up a couple days.
Posted By: tdogg

Re: DIY Panhandle trip - 10/31/19 02:46 PM

I would drive up to Oklahoma or Kansas if it was me, especially if you have a boat. Panhandle is tough if you don't have private access. Not much public land to hunt, and fields can be hit or miss even if you do get access. New Mexico has some good lakes as well if your willing to drive a little farther west.
Posted By: rickym

Re: DIY Panhandle trip - 10/31/19 03:57 PM

Or work your way down the coast for a week and see what you can get into.
Posted By: aggiehunter15

Re: DIY Panhandle trip - 10/31/19 07:34 PM

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately the answers I was sorta expecting. I'll look into a few of our neighboring states but may ultimately end up at the coast as its close
Posted By: jnd59

Re: DIY Panhandle trip - 10/31/19 08:18 PM

We're going to Kansas in November. We may get frozen out but we're going to combine it with pheasant.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum