Texas Hunting Forum

Bird hunt or bow hunt

Posted By: rickym

Bird hunt or bow hunt - 09/28/19 03:21 PM

Who is still wing shooting this weekend instead of deer hunting?
When do you put down the scatter gun for a rifle or bow?
I’ll be headed to the dove fields later today, hopefully the showers hold off.
I won’t deer hunt til opening of rifle this year, bird hunting has just been to much fun this year, and it’s to hot to go bow hunting.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Bird hunt or bow hunt - 09/28/19 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by rickym

Never. Maybe one day when I get lazy and less crazy, I'll settle down and get a deer lease, sit over a feeder drink coffee and stick a deer, ride around in a 4wheeler and check my feeders. Maybe I'll pay somebody to keep my feeders full. It does sounds compelling.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Bird hunt or bow hunt - 09/28/19 08:29 PM

I’m still shooting dove. If I’m going to sweat, it’s going to be sitting on my dove stool.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Bird hunt or bow hunt - 09/29/19 12:39 AM

Guy not everyone hunts like that. All public bow deer hunter here. It's a blast. Hardly ever sit in same place more than once or twice a year. All walk in hang stand and hunt take stand down leave with it. Reading sign etc etc etc.
Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Re: Bird hunt or bow hunt - 09/29/19 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Guy

Never. Maybe one day when I get lazy and less crazy, I'll settle down and get a deer lease, sit over a feeder drink coffee and stick a deer, ride around in a 4wheeler and check my feeders. Maybe I'll pay somebody to keep my feeders full. It does sounds compelling.

Clearly you don’t get it and probably because you don’t got it. Not going to spend unnecessary time explaining why your post is....
Posted By: machine73

Re: Bird hunt or bow hunt - 09/29/19 07:51 AM

I don't deer hunt, so scattergun will ease into squirrel in a couple of days.

Re: Bird hunt or bow hunt - 09/29/19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
Guy not everyone hunts like that. All public bow deer hunter here. It's a blast. Hardly ever sit in same place more than once or twice a year. All walk in hang stand and hunt take stand down leave with it. Reading sign etc etc etc.

Yeah thats cool. In my walk-in duck hunting days I used to see bow hunters, I was always worried one them sticking me on my walk in, and I would think about the cowboys in the olden days getting stuck by indians, those long 30 minute walk-ins your imagination goes crazy.

And my post, I was half poking fun at deer hunters and half serious.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Bird hunt or bow hunt - 09/29/19 02:31 PM

It depends...

If we have birds I'll be wing shooting 10/10 times but if we don't I'd deer hunt.

A few years back I had a great little honey hole for deer. I was very excited about it because we had multiple 140-170 class deer coming in on the little 200 acre place.

I skipped opening day of duck seasons to sit in a blind by myself and see absolutely nothing. My buddies shot a 4 man limit of ducks that same morning.

I'll never skip opening day of duck season again unless there just flat out isn't any birds.

That same year in December I shot a 140 10 pt and my friend shot a 156.

In my experience the big boys don't come out until it gets cold and the rut is on.

Opening day of Duck season here is typically one of our best hunts.

Re: Bird hunt or bow hunt - 09/29/19 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by HVILLE HNTR
Originally Posted by Guy

Clearly you don’t get it and probably because you don’t got it. Not going to spend unnecessary time explaining why your post is....

[Linked Image]
roflmao
Posted By: BDB

Re: Bird hunt or bow hunt - 09/29/19 09:52 PM

I cut my teeth on big game bow hunting....I'm talking about making my own self bows from trees I cut and let season. I still enjoy a deer/elk hunt but I do use a compound bow today. I'm not going deer hunting until it cools down some. Even when rifle opens I'll be bow hunting. I'd rather shoot dove in this heat than deer hunt.

But now I've gotten into duck hunting over the past 5 years I'll be duck hunting on opening day. My passion has switched from bow hunting to wing shooting dove/duck....but I still make time each year to bowhunting about 3 weeks of the season....then its time to concentrate on ducks after thanksgiving, the deer rut is winding down and the weather is getting cooler.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Bird hunt or bow hunt - 09/30/19 03:05 PM

Both, but not starting till next weekend. Gonna bow hunt in the am, dove hunt in the pm on a different property. Planning on doing that pretty much every weekend in Oct.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Bird hunt or bow hunt - 09/30/19 09:46 PM

As I understand from the boss, we will be going camping this weekend at the beach to chase her big bull red. She has yet to catch one and has been looking forward to it all year. Sounds like I won’t be putting any meat in the freezer this weekend.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum