Texas Hunting Forum

Best way to cook dove...

Posted By: Guy

Best way to cook dove... - 09/02/19 11:26 PM

Hard to beat this...1 shy of limit on Sunday. Pepper them up....
[Linked Image]
Going for center cut...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: MikeUCTX148

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/02/19 11:31 PM

up
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/02/19 11:31 PM

Uhh, Saturday was the 31st. bolt
Originally Posted by Guy
Hard to beat this...1 shy of limit on Saturday. Pepper them up....
[Linked Image]
Going for center cut...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/03/19 12:09 AM

Heck yeah, smoker is the way to go.
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/03/19 12:42 AM

Filet the meat of the bone, marinate in Grill Mates Korean bbq seasoning, place on skewers with pineapple, bell pepper and onion, or any other veggy you like. Mix with some rice and you got a pretty good meal.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/03/19 01:31 AM

Go to whataburger and ask em to fry it
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/03/19 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Guy
Hard to beat this...1 shy of limit on Sunday. Pepper them up....
[Linked Image]
Going for center cut...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I think you won this one. I like the over pepper thing, and i love the fact you did not put any salt on them.

Putting bunches of salt on any meat prior to grilling is a rookie big time mistake. It will shrink the meat instantly, just like fish btw. Bacon is already salty enough already.

People cooking with mucho salt don't know a thing about cooking.

Next time put your birds as a whole, in the fridge for 3-4 days to age em.

I promise, they will taste 10 times better.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/03/19 02:04 AM

That is proper food

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/03/19 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by beaversnipe

I think you won this one. I like the over pepper thing, and i love the fact you did not put any salt on them.

Putting bunches of salt on any meat prior to grilling is a rookie big time mistake. It will shrink the meat instantly, just like fish btw. Bacon is already salty enough already.

People cooking with mucho salt don't know a thing about cooking.

Next time put your birds as a whole, in the fridge for 3-4 days to age em.

I promise, they will taste 10 times better.

I normally do use salt, but not with bacon, already loaded with sodium.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/03/19 10:17 AM

Pretty work Guy. Only change I would have done is remove the keel bone first. cheers

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/03/19 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat1
Pretty work Guy. Only change I would have done is remove the keel bone first. cheers

You mean fillet off the bone?
Posted By: Stub

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/03/19 01:19 PM

Dayum that looks Delicious food Question so did you have the Dove sliced underneath and put the Jalapeno in the cavity/split or are they side by side then wrapped in Bacon ?

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/03/19 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Dayum that looks Delicious food Question so did you have the Dove sliced underneath and put the Jalapeno in the cavity/split or are they side by side then wrapped in Bacon ?

Just like the pics...
1) slit jap, stuff with cheese, lay in middle of center cut bacon
2) dove breast on top of jap...
3) fold over bacon, one side cover top, one side covers bottom, toothpick in back can run thru both ends of bacon to secure good.
4) little more pepper, then on the smoker, low and slow...

Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/03/19 03:06 PM

I always filet the two sides off. Wrap in jap and bacon, season very light with Lowery’s and pepper, sear hot over mesquite only, never over cook dove. People eat them like poppers and they will eat a ton. The bacon removes any wild taste, even women and kids will eat them that way. It’s harder to get a perfect cook with the bone in, and it sometimes is much tougher. Also, rookies don’t know how to eat a full dove breast and are sometimes turned off. Those look good.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/03/19 06:23 PM

Filet the breast.
Place a jap slice and a piece of swiss cheese between the lobes.
Wrap once with bacon - thin is better.

Place on skewers with bell pepper, onion, squash, mushrooms, peeled shrimp.
Drizzle with Rudy's BBQ sause.

Place on med hot charcoal fire for about 12 minutes, turning till done.
Posted By: erathar

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/04/19 03:38 AM

Looks awesome Guy. How do you think those would do prepared, Vac sealed and frozen?
Posted By: BDB

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/04/19 03:12 PM

We cooked ours similar. I used fresh jalapeños and made a small cut down one side. Got the seeds and core out. Mixed half and half cream cheese and grated cheese together...stuff the jalapeño full. Then lay breasted dove over that and wrapped in thick cut bacon. Cooked over coals at the motel we stayed at. That was GOOOOOD.

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/04/19 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by erathar
How do you think those would do prepared, Vac sealed and frozen?

I think it would work, but I think it would be best to freeze the dove on their own, prepare when you are ready. I also think it is best to let the dove age at least 3 day, dove is just more tender after it ages. I got 7 dove I shot Monday morning and letting them age, I'm gonna cook them the same way. Might save them for the cowboy game on Sunday!!!
Posted By: erathar

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/05/19 01:38 AM

Do you just age them in the refrigerator?

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/05/19 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by erathar
Do you just age them in the refrigerator?

Yes, and I think it is best to age after they come out the freezer. So if you plan on freezing, best to go in freezer ASAP.
Posted By: fonzie

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/05/19 02:02 AM

I season mine they will sit in the fridge about a day then stuff them in banana peppers with mozzarella on a few I’ll add mushrooms and cook on the grill
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/05/19 02:44 AM

Most birds benefit from aging. We hang ducks, whole, for 3 to 4 days at 55 degrees. Then pluck and draw unless gut shot. Those get skinned immediately and rest in the fridge a few days.

I've never left dove whole, don't know what that would do. But resting in the fridge a few days does make a difference.

If you've never hung pheasant you've never really had pheasant. The difference between the bird of Kings and ditch chickens.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/05/19 03:14 AM

The best way to cook dove is any heat source after consuming a case of cold beer! I used to kill a lot of dove. A friend rented out a bar in San Angelo one night for a birthday party. We cooked 500 bacon wrapped dove that we started preparing at 8AM, while drinking cold beer. They started hitting the fire around 7PM. The first 300 were perfect. The last 200 were a little rare. They all were eaten and no complaints.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/05/19 02:05 PM

Looks good but I think I would fillet it out.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/05/19 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
The best way to cook dove is any heat source after consuming a case of cold beer! I used to kill a lot of dove. A friend rented out a bar in San Angelo one night for a birthday party. We cooked 500 bacon wrapped dove that we started preparing at 8AM, while drinking cold beer. They started hitting the fire around 7PM. The first 300 were perfect. The last 200 were a little rare. They all were eaten and no complaints.

Sounds like you got it down! cheers

I prefer mine pretty dang rare. So far I haven't gotten sick from it, but the taste is a lot better IMO.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/05/19 02:19 PM

looks like you need a taster, make sure they are safe to eat
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/05/19 02:51 PM

I hunted with a family near Vernon one time in the winter dove season and we killed enough to clean and eat right there. I had always grilled them with jalapenos & bacon, but these guys filleted, battered then then deep fried the breast. Those were some of the best little dove nuggets I've ever had.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/05/19 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Scott W
I hunted with a family near Vernon one time in the winter dove season and we killed enough to clean and eat right there. I had always grilled them with jalapenos & bacon, but these guys filleted, battered then then deep fried the breast. Those were some of the best little dove nuggets I've ever had.

I asked my wife the other night if we had a deep fryer for this purpose
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/05/19 09:37 PM

on the breast bone over mesquite with Montreal Steak seasoning.......some of the best you'll eat food

Re: Best way to cook dove... - 09/05/19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by ndhunter
Originally Posted by Scott W

I asked my wife the other night if we had a deep fryer for this purpose

Pan fry! I hardly ever deep fry, pan fry much easier and fillets are perfect for that.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum