Texas Hunting Forum

How many hunter's for this lease

Posted By: everettc

How many hunter's for this lease - 08/29/19 02:43 AM

Need some advice

I have a little over 200 hundred acres with about 23 acres of water. There are 9 stock tanks. 4 of them are 4 1/2-6 acres and 1 is 3 acres. 1 is 1 acre, 2 are in the woods and 3/4 acre each and a small 1/4 acre pond up on the flats.

I'm in Fannin county north of Honey Grove and 14 miles south of the river. Lots of ducks and geese here when it gets cold.

[b][b]How many people could hunt here on a lease together and all feel like they're getting their money's worth?[/
b]

This wouldn't be a day lease, it would be seasonal for waterfowl for a group. [/b]
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: How many hunter's for this lease - 08/29/19 03:05 AM

4- 6 people max on the lease. They can all hunt the bigger pond together or separate in small groups.
The problem with “only” 200 acres is that no mather how many tanks you have on it, ducks have ears, and don't like too much boom boom boom. I would hunt that place with silent metro-guns only, so I wont scare em off the other close by tanks.

3 groups of 2 people can hunt different tanks the same day as well, but the place might be shot out fast,
unless there is a strong cold front blowing in once a week.

My spots are at least 1-15 miles away from each other.

And clear your PM, you might get some outfitters interest.
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: How many hunter's for this lease - 08/29/19 03:08 AM

# of hunters doesn't matter as much as how often it will be hunted.

i've been on leases where several guys only showed up opening weekend and then once or twice after that. i've also been on leases where 2 guys hunted 4-5 days a week and shot the place out.

the thing that sucks about migratory birds is you never know what kind of season we will have. good duck numbers with fresh birds showing up weekly you can get away with more hunting. slow seasons with low numbers and fresh birds few and far between you can't hunt as often with out shooing a place out.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: How many hunter's for this lease - 08/29/19 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by 2flyfish4

i've been on leases where several guys only showed up opening weekend and then once or twice after that. i've also been on leases where 2 guys hunted 4-5 days a week and shot the place out.

the thing that sucks about migratory birds is you never know what kind of season we will have. good duck numbers with fresh birds showing up weekly you can get away with more hunting. slow seasons with low numbers and fresh birds few and far between you can't hunt as often with out shooing a place out.

This.

Plus as a duckhunter wanting to hunt over 50 days a season, you will need bunches of ponds, bunches. And be willing to hunt till 8:30 am max, no matter how many you shot. Last 2 years, I was able to hunt the same tank for 12 days straight. We had a cold front every 4 days. I made myself leave the pond at 8:00 am as fast as I could. Every day I shot between 3 and 6 ducks. It was epic. By the time I left the gate at 8:30, big ducks were pouring in, saving me miles of scouting. I changed the decoy presentation every day. Some day 3 dozen, the next day 6 divers, the following day 3 moving ducks and 6 teal, the following day 6 standing mallards on ice and feeders on the bank, the following day 2 dozen grey and 3 goose floaters. Later in the season, I put my layout 50 yards away from my decoys, especially in no wind. In no wind, they like to land away from the decoys and swim towards them, pretty much always.

I confused the F out of them.

The night before, I strategize my decoy placement on my kitchen counter pond. My wife thinks I’m nuts, for good reasons.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: everettc

Re: How many hunter's for this lease - 08/29/19 03:30 AM

Thank you both very much. I do have a place for them to stay that's pretty decent. I figured with that I might do better than going through an outfitter.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: How many hunter's for this lease - 08/29/19 05:45 PM

Water is too close together. Like mentioned above split up and hunt the same day or you can all hunt the big water together.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: How many hunter's for this lease - 08/29/19 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4

This.

Plus as a duckhunter wanting to hunt over 50 days a season, you will need bunches of ponds, bunches. And be willing to hunt till 8:30 am max, no matter how many you shot. Last 2 years, I was able to hunt the same tank for 12 days straight. We had a cold front every 4 days. I made myself leave the pond at 8:00 am as fast as I could. Every day I shot between 3 and 6 ducks. It was epic. By the time I left the gate at 8:30, big ducks were pouring in, saving me miles of scouting. I changed the decoy presentation every day. Some day 3 dozen, the next day 6 divers, the following day 3 moving ducks and 6 teal, the following day 6 standing mallards on ice and feeders on the bank, the following day 2 dozen grey and 3 goose floaters. Later in the season, I put my layout 50 yards away from my decoys, especially in no wind. In no wind, they like to land away from the decoys and swim towards them, pretty much always.

I confused the F out of them.

The night before, I strategize my decoy placement on my kitchen counter pond. My wife thinks I’m nuts, for good reasons.
[Linked Image]

Do you have fake birds that fly over your kitchen pond? Do you practice calling them? I've never used a rock blind before. Are they hard to transport?
How do you account for the wind, fan or AC vent? smile
Posted By: TXCrossTimbers

Re: How many hunter's for this lease - 08/29/19 06:16 PM

Your property sounds very similar to one I am on very close to you. We have a total of nine men on our lease. With schedules, we've never had more than four or five there at a time and often hunt together or on adjacent ponds, which can be problematic if someone doesn't follow ethics and calls at birds on top of you.
Posted By: rickym

Re: How many hunter's for this lease - 08/29/19 11:11 PM

6 guys max. Have to hunt on scheduled days. No more than two hunts a week.
Posted By: FowlTrouble

Re: How many hunter's for this lease - 08/30/19 12:44 AM

Two separate groups max at the same time. You will be working the same groups of ducks most likely in this scenario. 200 acres isnt alot to a duck up high checking things out. Gunshot sounds will travel a long way and spook any other ducks flying remotely close.
Pick a spot and hunt together for a better quality hunt.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum