Texas Hunting Forum

"Cold" Front

Posted By: TiggerV

"Cold" Front - 08/27/19 04:14 AM

So, it has been 100+ at my lease for the last few days....And tomorrow's high is a bone chilling 88.

Is this enough of a front to move the northern birds down?
Posted By: BigAL33

Re: "Cold" Front - 08/27/19 11:02 AM

Yes sir! Teal too!!!
Posted By: snake oil

Re: "Cold" Front - 08/27/19 11:04 AM

No. I don't know why everybody thinks they come this early. Those big red legged birds don't show up typically until October. A cold front may move native birds from county to county but only after their young have taken wing.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: "Cold" Front - 08/27/19 12:29 PM

Pretty much
Posted By: Wytex

Re: "Cold" Front - 08/27/19 01:30 PM

I'll let you know if we get an influx, but so far not yet. We get much cooler weather first week in Sept, that may push some down for you.
We have a small lake in town that gets covered in ducks when they start moving in, pretty bare right now.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: "Cold" Front - 08/27/19 02:01 PM

Been selling Dove hunts since 2001, the earliest I've ever seen northern birds is the 3rd weekend of September.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: "Cold" Front - 08/27/19 02:12 PM

My theory is that our native birds migrated north for some reason. I hope this will bring them back down.

If they migrated south, Like it appears they did last year, I don't know if they will come back up this way but I hope so.

So much for hunting tanks this year. I wasn't going to anyway but we had that in our back pocket until today. Rain from Weatherford to Granbury was intense. For the third time I've been next to a transformer when it was struck. Sparks all over the truck and I bet all those PCBs (if they still use them) as well.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: "Cold" Front - 08/27/19 05:51 PM

Beginning of season like this on my lease sometimes I have seen these first fronts blow out our resident birds with no new birds to replace them. We have so many sunflowers this year, I am hoping it is enough to hold the local birds longer.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: "Cold" Front - 08/27/19 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper John
Beginning of season like this on my lease sometimes I have seen these first fronts blow out our resident birds with no new birds to replace them. We have so many sunflowers this year, I am hoping it is enough to hold the local birds longer.

This!
Posted By: NTXR

Re: "Cold" Front - 08/28/19 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by bobcat1

This!

My concern as well.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: "Cold" Front - 08/28/19 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by NTXR
Originally Posted by bobcat1

This!

My concern as well.

Yup.

Wet power lines were empty yesterday. Almost nothing flying this am.
Im still going, prolly popping a couple of giant fat black grackles
Posted By: BDB

Re: "Cold" Front - 08/28/19 05:03 PM

While I know this happens I'm in the camp that says......outfitters have used weather to cover their no birds a$$ people take this to the extreme. If your on a good field there is very little reason for the birds to leave by the first of sept. Some do I know, but its the exception, not the rule.

Almost time!
Posted By: Eastxhuntr

Re: "Cold" Front - 08/29/19 12:39 PM

Just saw a dove in downtown - the front is really working!! Hope y’all have plenty of dove scent!!!!
Posted By: jnd59

Re: "Cold" Front - 08/29/19 05:56 PM

This morning saw about 30 on power lines where none were before. Could have been an isolated flock but there appear to be more than previously.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum