Texas Hunting Forum

Best time for Sandhills?

Posted By: syncerus

Best time for Sandhills? - 08/27/19 12:34 AM

Hi everyone,

I'd really like to do a sandhill crane hunt this year and I'm looking for suggestions as to when and where, preferably within reasonable striking distance of the DFW metro mess.

Thanks a bunch
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Best time for Sandhills? - 08/27/19 12:40 AM

West Texas or panhandle. There are many good guides out there and I expect some will chime in with suggestions. The cost of decoys makes it prohibitive for one person, at least for me.
Posted By: ken starling

Re: Best time for Sandhills? - 08/27/19 01:07 AM

Close to metroplex is Muddy Water out of Wichita Falls. Been several times with them and going back again this year. We usually go in January just because of deer season.
Posted By: Kevin H.

Re: Best time for Sandhills? - 08/27/19 01:38 AM

I've hunted with muddy waters we did a mixed bag hunt and had success on every hunt.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Best time for Sandhills? - 08/27/19 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by syncerus
Hi everyone,

I'd really like to do a sandhill crane hunt this year and I'm looking for suggestions as to when and where, preferably within reasonable striking distance of the DFW metro mess.

Thanks a bunch

West Texas November or December or January
Wichita Falls December or January.
Both with Muddy waters Outfitters.
Book fast, as they get booked fast...
Book a minimum of 2 days. You wont regret.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Best time for Sandhills? - 08/27/19 01:34 PM

Nice! Thanks for the suggestions.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Best time for Sandhills? - 08/27/19 03:14 PM

Ranger Creek in Haskell or Cadillac Creek out of Lubbock...Always solid hunts....
Posted By: TXCrossTimbers

Re: Best time for Sandhills? - 08/27/19 08:54 PM

Panhandle is a great spot. Early November is a great time to get on them, and late enough you might get on a few lesser geese too.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum