Texas Hunting Forum

Lubbock hunting?

Posted By: Txhunter7178

Lubbock hunting? - 08/18/19 02:48 PM

Just recently transferred colleges out to Texas Tech university and I am in search of a place to do some dove hunting. I am a responsible hunter willing to do a bit of work or even spend a little but off money. I’m looking for something where I can hunt throughout the dove season. How do I go about finding something?
Posted By: TXCrossTimbers

Re: Lubbock hunting? - 08/19/19 07:37 PM

Miles on tires and knocking on doors. Most of the large parcels are taken up by outfitters, but you only need to get lucky and find a farmer who pitties a poor college kid who wants to hunt.
Posted By: BluTwister

Re: Lubbock hunting? - 08/20/19 02:46 PM

I've been out for awhile. I found that most of these "outfitters" around Lubbock aren't much older than myself. They have just put in the hours driving around and knocking on doors and of course offering $$$.

Try going North of Lubbock around the New Deal, Petersburg area. Back in the day my buddies and I shot plenty of Dove and Eurasians in cotton fields with irrigation lines that were surrounded by milo fields. Shot pheasants and ducks and geese too.
Use the county CAD system and Google earth as reference points while driving around. OR drive around and knock on doors at a reasonable hour once you think you have found what you are looking for. I found the folks in West, Texas to be much more hospitable/friendly than my time in East, Tx.

I have also sent out generic letters on nice stationary and had 3-7 people each time actually call or email me back but I was offering monies in exchange for permission.

It takes a bunch of time to find that one rancher or farmer that lets you hunt for free. Be prepared for this line though "Son if you are that bored I've got plenty of work that needs to be done around here!" I still laugh at that one and this one "You want to hunt Ducks??? People actually hunt those things?!?!"
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Lubbock hunting? - 08/21/19 06:06 AM

Funny story. Buddies dad who lives there saw birds hitting a field so he knocked on the door. Lady took his $50 and he got his limit. Went out a couple more times and an old man driving by hollered at him asking what he was doing on his property and told him to get off. Lady was only renting the house and pocketing the money. Lol. He figured he was saving gas money by not driving to the lease in Spur. We used to have some great hunts out there. Good luck.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Lubbock hunting? - 08/21/19 10:29 AM

Tons of outfitters that can put you on birds. Final Decent Guide Service is a good group of guys.

If you are not wanting to go that route then you need to form some relationships and get lucky. When I was there about 12 years ago I had a roommate with family up at Petersburg. We wore the dove out.

You can knock on doors and do that whole thing but I think your best chance is just through meeting people from the area and forming friendships. Much easier if you hang out with the "farming crowd" type guys or are involved in the agriculture programs.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Lubbock hunting? - 08/21/19 02:05 PM

Shouldn’t you be studying?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Lubbock hunting? - 08/21/19 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Shouldn’t you be studying?

No gotta get in those mid week hunts when everyone else is working.
Posted By: AbeLinkkin

Re: Lubbock hunting? - 08/21/19 02:54 PM

Lots of students at Tech hunt. Make them your friends. Join the Tech Ducks Unlimited group.

Knocking on doors used to be productive in that area but most of it is leased up by outfitters now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum