Texas Hunting Forum

Snake Boots for Dove Hunting

Posted By: cleboje

Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/13/19 01:12 PM

Are Snake Boots really necessary for dove hunting?

I will be hunting in the San Antonio area and have noticed that snake boots are sold in all the outdoor stores...Bass Pro/Cabela's/Academy...etc.

What are your thoughts...are they really needed or just another high dollar fashion statement?

Joe
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/13/19 01:38 PM

I roll with camo crocs!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/13/19 01:41 PM

It's probably too hot for snakes to be out..... bolt

I've worn everything from snake boots to flipflops depending on where I was hunting.

The past few years I wear tall snake boots when out for the weeds as much as anything else... 2cents
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/13/19 02:47 PM

Yeah, they’re a must if you value your life at all.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/13/19 02:56 PM

There's no reason not to wear them. Sure, they're not as comfortable as crocs, but you'll be glad you have them on if you run into a serpent.
Posted By: cleboje

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/13/19 03:14 PM

I guess they are a nice insurance policy if I meet up with "no-shoulders jake"...

But "jake" will be the one on the wrong end of the 20 gauge...LOL
Posted By: MikeUCTX148

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/13/19 03:18 PM

This time of year I air on the side of caution and wear them.
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/13/19 03:37 PM

I'll go with fashion statement.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/13/19 03:47 PM

they will be in the truck, depends on where I'm set up. Grass and mesquites, yep better to wear, better safe that sorry.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/13/19 04:07 PM

A few years ago walking out to hunt on opening morning I was thinking to myself how uncomfortable and hot my snake boots were, and how I'd never seen a snake out at the dove lease. I stepped over this guy at least twice that morning in the dark before he finally moved on the third pass and I shot him. Didn't know what kind of snake it was when I shot, but then he started rattling.

I wear my snake boots all the time now.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/13/19 04:26 PM

Snake boots are about $150, antivenom is about $10,000 per dose and you'll need several doses. Seems like really cheap insurance.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/13/19 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by wal1809
I roll with camo crocs!

Says the snake whisperer... what about the rest of us?

I usually wear snake boots, but in some spots I don't. My dogs on the other hand get the vaccine and avoidance training every year.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/13/19 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pintail711

This, if you are hunting where there are rattlers. I dove hunt west texas and they are everywhere, so you are playing russian roulette without any rattle snake protection. And my dog gets the rattle snake vaccine and goes thru snake avoidance training before ever dove season as well. I use cheap gaiters from Acadamy, had mine for over 10 years, the boots are overkill and way too hot, and not good for walking/hiking which I like to do while dove hunting.
[Linked Image]

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/14/19 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
I use cheap gaiters from Acadamy, had mine for over 10 years, the boots are overkill and way too hot, and not good for walking/hiking which I like to do while dove hunting.

I have those, too. Bought them for my son when his foot was growing a size per year and I couldn't afford new boots every Fall. They work, but my snake boots are way more comfortable for upland hunting. I couldn't imagine walking 10+ miles a day in gators.

I prefer them even when deer hunting in the winter cuz they're very comfortable and keep me warm up to my knees.

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/14/19 03:20 PM

Perfect! roflmao

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/14/19 03:40 PM

it only takes one bite to ruin your day and cause all kinds of inconveniences to people around you
Posted By: RayB

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/14/19 04:15 PM

Reminds me of the story about the Lone Ranger
He had squatted down to let nature take it's course when he was bit on the end of his manhood by a rattle snake
He called on his friend Tonto and asked that he ride to town and ask a doctor what needed to be done to save him
So Tonto jumped on his horse rode over mountains through valleys and across a raging river to town and asked the doctor what he needed to do
The doctor told him to make a small slit with his knife where the fangs hit and suck the poison out.
Tonto jumped on his horse rode across a ragging river through a valley and across a mountain and returned to the Lone Ranger
The Ranger asked "Tonto what did the doctor say?
Tonto said "Kimo Sabe, you gonna die roflmao
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/14/19 06:48 PM

Chippawa swear toed snake boots
Posted By: jimmyboy

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/16/19 01:27 PM

Chips go on when I go thru the gate and stay on until I return to the hwy. Every day all day. Into my 70's now and my cat like reflexes are not what they were back when I wore my camo crocs. up
Posted By: TexasDuckMan

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/16/19 02:27 PM

Chips are for sure the greatest footwear i have ever worn in the field. LOVE THEM!
Posted By: BDB

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/17/19 02:49 PM

I just wear my work cowboy boots. I have never owned "snake boots" and have deer/dove hunted West Tx for years now. Awareness is the key. If your stepping on/over snakes and not knowing it then, well yes insurance and snake boots are for you.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/17/19 04:48 PM

Fasion statement, for sure.

More like, marketing trend.

I think 99.9999% of populat camo and gear is a whole lot of marketing and junk.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/17/19 05:25 PM

Sweet Pea rockin her South Texas dove attire, YES, Chips required.

[Linked Image]

daddy makin his fashion statement

[Linked Image]

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/20/19 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper
I roll with camo crocs!

I usually wear snake boots, but in some spots I don't. My dogs on the other hand get the vaccine and avoidance training every year.

I freak some folks out because I train bare footed sometimes when I am at the house.
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/20/19 10:57 PM

When I’m out in the pasture the boots are on . Been wearing Irish Setter snake boots and love em, super light compared to my other boots.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/20/19 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by BDB
I just wear my work cowboy boots. I have never owned "snake boots" and have deer/dove hunted West Tx for years now. Awareness is the key. If your stepping on/over snakes and not knowing it then, well yes insurance and snake boots are for you.

If you are fetching your own birds, and bird goes down, you mark it and walk directly toward it, so it’s hard to look for snakes right in front of you when you got your eyes locked where bird went down.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/20/19 11:38 PM

I roll with camo crocs!

I freak some folks out because I train bare footed sometimes when I am at the house.

What are you training bare footed at the house to freak people out? Are you an elephant trainer?
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/21/19 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by BDB

If you are fetching your own birds, and bird goes down, you mark it and walk directly toward it, so it’s hard to look for snakes right in front of you when you got your eyes locked where bird went down.

Yep, and I just prefer to spend my time "not" walking around with my head on a swivel. It's a "peace of mind" thing for me. Snake boots don't cost any more than a good pair of Ariat, Justin, etc leather boots.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/21/19 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
I roll with camo crocs!

What are you training bare footed at the house to freak people out? Are you an elephant trainer?

Haha. He trains dogs......snake avoidance.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/21/19 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Pintail711

This, if you are hunting where there are rattlers. I dove hunt west texas and they are everywhere, so you are playing russian roulette without any rattle snake protection. And my dog gets the rattle snake vaccine and goes thru snake avoidance training before ever dove season as well. I use cheap gaiters from Acadamy, had mine for over 10 years, the boots are overkill and way too hot, and not good for walking/hiking which I like to do while dove hunting.
[Linked Image]

I was wearing chaps at the deer lease. Getting tired of taking them on and off, I think they are heavier than snake boots. I may buy some snake boots.
Posted By: fng

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/21/19 08:10 PM

I got the irish setters and they are as comfortable as a pair of tennis shoes
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/21/19 08:46 PM

I roll with camo crocs!

You work with snakes. They don't bite you out of professional courtesy.

nuts
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/21/19 08:58 PM

It's a snake, not a cape buffalo. I guess growing up in the country gives me a different perspective and I just don't worry about them. We didn't gear up completely every time we ventured outside.
Posted By: texas wetlands

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/21/19 10:01 PM

I wear the Justin zip up snake boots. A little easier for me to get on and can where them all day just like a pair of good work boots. Very comfortable and like someone said above your able to walk straight to your bird verses worrying about critters.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/21/19 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw
It's a snake, not a cape buffalo. I guess growing up in the country gives me a different perspective and I just don't worry about them. We didn't gear up completely every time we ventured outside.

cheers
Posted By: BDB

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/22/19 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by soonersorlaters
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by BDB

Yep, and I just prefer to spend my time "not" walking around with my head on a swivel. It's a "peace of mind" thing for me. Snake boots don't cost any more than a good pair of Ariat, Justin, etc leather boots.

Nope. Once you get your awareness up its second nature. I bowhunted NE Texas for 12 years in cottonmouth country and every October I would look down and there would be ole white mouth looking up at me...you just have to have it I guess. I worry about snake about like I worry about the weather, it is what it is. Now if your not gonna be aware of whats going on where your walking then by all means get the snake boots.

I'll say it again, if your not the awareness type then yes, insurance and snake boots are for you.

PS....I worry about black widows FAR more than snakes....and I don't worry to much about them at all.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/22/19 05:06 PM

Damn, I guess people think they’re invisible.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/22/19 05:17 PM

I am not as bad arse as some so I wear chips. But I also don't like cactus or mesquite stuck in me as well. Seen enough to not take a chance anymore. I used to never wear them but almost stepping on a few was enough. And the folks I know who have been bit never thought it would happen to them. No need to spend $50K in med bill's and not work for a while.

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/22/19 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hopedale
I roll with camo crocs!

You work with snakes. They don't bite you out of professional courtesy.

nuts

We have an agreement. They bite me, I bite them back. Its working good so far. One time in particular that I am referring to when I said people freak out was a bunch of well to do ladies. They are all training there own and have extremely well trained labs. I have extremely powerful toes. I can snap a pencil with them. On this particular occasion the snake wasn't doing what he is supposed to do. so off came the crocs, I grabbed the snake with my big toe and middle toe and zipped right into the dog's snoot. There was no question, they were all freaked out. I am sure they think that's the place where rednecks come from.
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/22/19 06:08 PM

I like my Justin's snake boots. Im not overly worried about snakes but they work well at keeping the ticks and chiggers at bay along with brush poking and scraping you
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/22/19 06:53 PM

I'm more bothered by ticks and chiggers than I am snakes. Having lived in the Amazon, you kinda get used to snakes. Most of the snakes here a big Amazon snake could swallow without much thought. Now I'd swim in permethian if I had to in order to avoid ticks.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/22/19 11:09 PM

Just got my pair of Chippewa Descaro’s in the mail today.
Wore them for about two hours walking through the house. Very comfortable.

They are irregulars new in box with tags, bought on eBay. 150ish bucks delivered. Peace of mind is worth it especially being so far out away from a hospital.

To be honest I have been dove hunting over 30 years and last year was the first time I saw a snake, and the ranch owner had killed him on his front porch. It was a baby rattlesnake. This was less that 50 yards from where his field started.

The scenario that sticks with me is keeping eye where bird fell and walking straight to the bird, not looking down at my feet or worrying about snakes. Again peace of mind.
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/23/19 12:19 AM

I have a pair of Irish setters zip ups very comfortable been wearing them for years never leave camp without them cheap insurance

Re: Snake Boots for Dove Hunting - 08/23/19 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by jnd59
I'm more bothered by ticks and chiggers than I am snakes. Having lived in the Amazon, you kinda get used to snakes. Most of the snakes here a big Amazon snake could swallow without much thought. Now I'd swim in permethian if I had to in order to avoid ticks.

This is exactly in perspective. Insects are far more deadly than anything else on the planet.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum