Texas Hunting Forum

Dove Reports

Posted By: scalebuster

Dove Reports - 08/09/19 12:39 AM

I haven’t been seeing many dove at my place in Young county. Yesterday I drove from Hamlin past Haskell through Throckmorton. They’re planting a lot of milo between Hamlin and Stamford. It was the heat of the day but I saw 4 dove. I drove from Graham to Breckinridge, past Cisco this week and saw some great sunflower fields but very few dove early in the morning. Monday there were a chitload of white wings on a milo field southwest of Denton. What are y’all seeing out there?
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Dove Reports - 08/09/19 01:17 AM

I'm seeing a couple here and there but they're not grouped up yet
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Dove Reports - 08/09/19 01:27 AM

Below average here so far (Breckenridge) but expect more once the fields are mowed,,hopefully. Fields look great, lots of food for them.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Dove Reports - 08/09/19 01:29 AM

I have been watching the local birds in east texas . Seems like a good hatch this year. I just got home from watching some big goat weed fields that are beginning to ripen and in the last few days numbers have markedly picked up. Hopefully they will keep filtering in. As it stands I am guardedly optimistic for a good opener.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Dove Reports - 08/09/19 01:40 AM

We bought a place last year in Stonewall county last year and this is our first year to hunt it. We are going to have a !@#$ of a hunt just 40 yards in front of the house. Birds are just piling in like crazy!!!
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Dove Reports - 08/09/19 03:45 AM

literally hundreds around the areas we hunt. Looking to be one of the best seasons on record.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Dove Reports - 08/10/19 01:11 PM

every year the same stories, we are covered
by the time sept 1st rolls in, where they at? hammer
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Dove Reports - 08/11/19 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tbar
We bought a place last year in Stonewall county last year and this is our first year to hunt it. We are going to have a !@#$ of a hunt just 40 yards in front of the house. Birds are just piling in like crazy!!!

What crops are they flocking to? I hunted a broken water line in the driveway out there from the porch once. Hell of a hunt! Killed and grilled at the same time.
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Dove Reports - 08/11/19 12:48 PM

Front is coming mid week; hope to hear better reports soon afterwards.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/11/19 06:20 PM

Already mowed 3 of my sunflower fields and only had my big 117 acre field left. So I was in the field before the sun was up, didn't see a lot of birds.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Dove Reports - 08/11/19 07:14 PM

I could shoot a quick limit behind my house, but the City of Mesquite might not happy.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Dove Reports - 08/11/19 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy
Already mowed 3 of my sunflower fields and only had my big 117 acre field left. So I was in the field before the sun was up, didn't see a lot of birds.
Dangit
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Dove Reports - 08/11/19 11:52 PM

my new place east of Olney has plenty of birds on the tank in the evening.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/12/19 12:04 AM

I’m seeing very few dove off the back porch in young county.
Posted By: decook

Re: Dove Reports - 08/12/19 10:59 AM

Montgomery county nearly devoid of doves. I dont understand it, we used to see a lot of nesting birds here. The past couple of years have been nothing.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Dove Reports - 08/12/19 11:37 AM

Nothing happening around Mason for the 10th year. Nothing much for them to eat anymore.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Dove Reports - 08/12/19 12:30 PM

They’re getting pretty thick near Seymour. Over the last 3 weeks I’ve noticed quite a few more have shown up. Noticed a few big groups in some popular fields here in north Texas yesterday as well.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Dove Reports - 08/12/19 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stevarino
They’re getting pretty thick near Seymour. Over the last 3 weeks I’ve noticed quite a few more have shown up.

up

Will be there this weekend to check it out, too.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/12/19 05:43 PM

Even though having lots of Birds is a good thing, I'm just looking forward to just getting out of the City for a hunt! cowboy texas
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Dove Reports - 08/12/19 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
Originally Posted by Tbar

What crops are they flocking to? I hunted a broken water line in the driveway out there from the porch once. Hell of a hunt! Killed and grilled at the same time.

I don't know. They are coming to water on us.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Dove Reports - 08/12/19 06:34 PM

As others have posted; I think something weird is going on with doves. Maybe being driven out, maybe farming.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/12/19 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster
As others have posted; I think something weird is going on with doves. Maybe being driven out, maybe farming.

The biggest change I see is that white wings are taking over in a lot of areas. Back in the day they were only in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, then San Antone, now it seems like they're everywhere near bigger cities. Opening weekend two seasons ago I ended up shooting a limit of them in Baylor Co. I wasn't expecting that at all. I see more in my back yard in North TX than I do mourning doves.

Mourning doves definitely shift. 99% of the time the biggest factor is habitat related, it seems pretty random.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Dove Reports - 08/12/19 08:10 PM

3 weeks ago my place was loaded and in fact I never seen that many there Now there all gone crazy

Re: Dove Reports - 08/12/19 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by beaversnipe
every year the same stories, we are covered
by the time sept 1st rolls in, where they at? hammer
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Dove Reports - 08/12/19 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by sallysue
3 weeks ago my place was loaded and in fact I never seen that many there Now there all gone crazy
Well, they didn't come to Coryell county. Slim pickins around here right now.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Dove Reports - 08/12/19 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper
Originally Posted by Huntmaster

The biggest change I see is that white wings are taking over in a lot of areas. Back in the day they were only in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, then San Antone, now it seems like they're everywhere near bigger cities. Opening weekend two seasons ago I ended up shooting a limit of them in Baylor Co. I wasn't expecting that at all. I see more in my back yard in North TX than I do mourning doves.

Mourning doves definitely shift. 99% of the time the biggest factor is habitat related, it seems pretty random.

The Eurasian/collareds are definitely pushing the smaller mourning dove around. I never stop shooting those winged rats.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/14/19 02:06 AM

Just drove up to OKC. Didn’t see much off 44.
Posted By: erathar

Re: Dove Reports - 08/14/19 02:13 AM

Plenty of dove in South Texas. Will yall please push more down here before our season starts?
Posted By: Aggiedukmaster

Re: Dove Reports - 08/14/19 02:07 PM

For the Past 2.5 months, I have been traveling from West Ft.Worth to Vernon down to Sweetwater/Abilene and back to Ft.Worth and Practically ALL cities in that Triangle and have not seen many birds AT ALL. There are a few pockets here and there of birds but Overall the Numbers of Native Birds are DOWN. Hope this Cool Front pushes a few down.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Dove Reports - 08/14/19 02:45 PM

Seen a few here in East county. Not many though.
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Dove Reports - 08/14/19 07:12 PM

Loaded with ringnecks and whitewings, but I'm in a subdivision. Out where I hunt in Brookshire it's a few here and there. Will just have to wait for a couple more weeks and hope for the best.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/14/19 09:30 PM

I'm starting to see a few more. My trip from Weatherford to Granbury every day usually doesn't have many dove but I am seeing more now. It may just be me hoping...

Re: Dove Reports - 08/15/19 03:08 PM

Saw more than I have been between Throckmorton and Seymour this morning.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/15/19 06:18 PM

very slim pickin in n texas
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Dove Reports - 08/16/19 03:52 AM

"shoulda been here last week" story of my life

Re: Dove Reports - 08/16/19 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

Come on STOMPY, lets dress up as doves and lure some in partyon555

Re: Dove Reports - 08/16/19 06:22 PM

Come on STOMPY, lets dress up as doves and lure some in partyon555

The table is set for them.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/17/19 06:51 PM

Saw a big group of White Wings West of Benbrook this morning. First big group of birds I've seen flying outside of the city. Drove to Abline Friday, only as a few Dove; mostly doubles I assume were "local" birds.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Dove Reports - 08/18/19 02:41 AM

This morning east of Anson, would have been a tough one. The sunflower field on this guys place looked good, but there was very little bird activity. Less after shot off some test model rockets.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Dove Reports - 08/18/19 02:59 AM

Hunted an opening morning several years ago east of Anson. Big commercial sunflower field. We all got limits early. When we were leaving, there were birds sitting on top of the sunflowers.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/18/19 03:14 AM

Sat our field in Graford from 7pm to dark. Not many birds out. I dunno, it may be like last year. I'm hoping birds get pushed in by opening day. It may end up the second weekend is better than the opener.
Posted By: udamdan

Re: Dove Reports - 08/18/19 09:53 PM

Archer county should be good
Posted By: SaltyDawg88

Re: Dove Reports - 08/19/19 04:43 AM

Nothing here in Northern Williamson/Southern Bell counties. Might as well look else where! roflmao

Re: Dove Reports - 08/19/19 10:25 AM

About 4 weeks ago my place was loaded and now not good at all Plenty of food and water weird

Re: Dove Reports - 08/19/19 11:05 AM

They all gone

Re: Dove Reports - 08/19/19 01:21 PM

its the hurricane hitting galveston next week bang

Re: Dove Reports - 08/19/19 05:12 PM

Drove out to the Deer Lease this past sat. a.m., Left the West Side of Ft.Worth and Drove to Woodson.- Should have been a Prime Time to see any Bird Activity (7-9 a.m.) and saw a Total of 8 Birds........6 of those were around the Plowed and Sunflower Fields around Metcalf Gap (Hwy 180). Didn't Even seen any going to Water at the Tanks at the Lease. SMH.......Not sure what's going on????
Posted By: triggerbowtx

Re: Dove Reports - 08/21/19 02:50 AM

I guess this upcoming cold front holds all the answers. Doesn’t sound like it will be pushing all the birds out prior to opening day so hopefully it brings ‘em in
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Dove Reports - 08/21/19 03:02 AM

Hey Salty, its looking real good over here at where i live. Good morning dove and late evening been seeing w/ws!!! Opening day well we see. LOL
Posted By: Kooch

Re: Dove Reports - 08/21/19 03:09 AM

Seeing very few around Breckenridge.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/21/19 03:46 AM

dove report for Montgomery Co.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/21/19 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kooch
Seeing very few around Breckenridge.

bang
Posted By: kdub

Re: Dove Reports - 08/21/19 04:59 PM

I saw 1 bird in Fannin county last wknd..

Re: Dove Reports - 08/21/19 05:29 PM

I'm hoping they went north and will be back next week or the following week. We have a cold front coming down towards us around the first (so I hear). If they went south I don't know if they will migrate back north.
Posted By: zaptorque

Re: Dove Reports - 08/22/19 05:12 PM

I'll be hunting out in Concho County/near OH Ivie Reservoir, reports have been pretty good out there.
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Dove Reports - 08/22/19 08:20 PM

Two mowed fields for over a week now and no birds. NE Taylor Co,,,,,, not looking good.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/22/19 08:50 PM

And whats funny my field is full of grasshoppers this time of year and there not here either I can't figure it out

Re: Dove Reports - 08/22/19 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by sallysue
And whats funny my field is full of grasshoppers this time of year and there not here either I can't figure it out

Some say it's the global warming zombie apocalypse. Either that or they know a meteor is speeding toward North Texas.

I think they were abducted by aliens..or Oklahomans, which are the same thing.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Dove Reports - 08/22/19 10:59 PM

Just drove from OKC to DFW saw 2 birds on I35. No joke.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/22/19 11:59 PM

Scouted all mornin,very few doves gathered at construction zone puddles.
Counted 20 in 3 hrs. Even worse than last year. Milo will be cut Monday and Tuesday.
Hard rain in the forecast tomorrow from 3-5 pm.
Posted By: krazy kris

Re: Dove Reports - 08/23/19 01:02 PM

Yesterday evening the pole saw broke on me so I actually had to take a break and it was the first time I've had the chance to do a little bird watching. I counted 63 over in young county south of graham. In town they are loaded! Hopefully that cool weather will get them to really fire up!

Re: Dove Reports - 08/23/19 01:40 PM

I saw more doves this morning on the trip from Weatherford to Granbury than I have in a month. May be something, may not.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Dove Reports - 08/23/19 04:39 PM

They are all holed up in North Dallas and Frisco

Re: Dove Reports - 08/24/19 03:12 PM

Looking good and getting better in STX.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/24/19 05:17 PM

There were about as many birds as last year at Woodson this morning. The fields looked better than ever however. Come on cold front!
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Dove Reports - 08/24/19 08:29 PM

Any reports from around Uvalde?
Posted By: Boar Sight

Re: Dove Reports - 08/24/19 10:58 PM

Was at lease yesterday and zero birds in south Stephen's County. Same as last year.....
Posted By: browning66

Re: Dove Reports - 08/25/19 04:45 PM

A few birds were there Saturday in the Salado. Belton, Bartlett area. Fields looking good with sunflowers.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/25/19 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Boar Sight
Was at lease yesterday and zero birds in south Stephen's County. Same as last year.....

I was there last weekend at ranch and saw 3 Fri to Sun. We didnt head to CR until dark so other parts are probably better.

Buddy is at our lease in Montague now and seeing quite a bit. I did too a few weeks ago. And decent quail too.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/25/19 08:48 PM

Crazy year

Re: Dove Reports - 08/26/19 01:40 AM

Collared doves invasion ran em all out the last 3 yrs
Posted By: ghostlight

Re: Dove Reports - 08/26/19 01:59 AM

While driving out and about New Braunfels, Im seeing small numbers near the fields and lines
Posted By: NTXR

Re: Dove Reports - 08/26/19 03:06 AM

I scouted my field in Murray this morning, and it was loaded. There were lots of big groups which makes me think they're fresh birds. I hope we can avoid any weather that would push them out before the opener. Is there an anti-rain dance?
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Dove Reports - 08/26/19 03:40 AM

Here where i hunt (outside Granger/ Bartlett) it is looking to be great, been hunting here 22 yrs and honestly the best i have ever seen. But it aint 9/01 yet.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/26/19 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Cajun Raider
Any reports from around Uvalde?

My sunflower fields in and around Uvalde are holding good numbers.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Dove Reports - 08/26/19 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by NTXR
I scouted my field in Murray this morning, and it was loaded. There were lots of big groups which makes me think they're fresh birds. I hope we can avoid any weather that would push them out before the opener. Is there an anti-rain dance?

That's good to hear. As the crow flies I am hunting just a little ways south of Murray. Three weekends ago there were several local birds in the mesquites around our field, but I have not been out there since.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/26/19 09:50 AM

Good to hear. Good luck.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Dove Reports - 08/26/19 03:36 PM

I was in Stonewall county last weekend and birds were scarce.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/26/19 04:40 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Dove Reports - 08/26/19 05:40 PM

Sporadic south of Rising Star. Spotty at fields that were L-O-A-D-E-D in NE Taylor County last year.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/26/19 05:59 PM

This is good news. Hope they make it down to Graford at least.

Good luck!
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Dove Reports - 08/26/19 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat1

Good to hear. Good luck.

Great to hear, will be in Murray PM Monday and Tuesday AM
Posted By: NTXR

Re: Dove Reports - 08/26/19 09:44 PM

If I jinxed myself, they'll have to go past any number of you guys' fields to leave the are. You're welcome in advance!

Re: Dove Reports - 08/27/19 03:11 AM

Scouted n forth worth all morning, very slim pickin. Many milo were cut since friday. Nothing...nothing.
Posted By: Copper tx.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/27/19 09:24 AM

Not near as many in delta county.giessing to damn hot still

Re: Dove Reports - 08/27/19 03:06 PM

Not much flying in Erath Co. last weekend
Posted By: gillom

Re: Dove Reports - 08/27/19 03:17 PM

Not seeing much in the cut corn and Milo around Taylor, Williamson County. Had quite a few in the wheat fields in Ballinger two weeks ago.
Posted By: outfitter1

Re: Dove Reports - 08/27/19 04:00 PM

Out yesterday morning, saw many flying and hanging out in and around the tanks guess that will change after today

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 12:22 PM

Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 12:26 PM

rock_on

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 12:26 PM

Seeing a few more dove this morning between Breckinridge and Moran than I have been.
Posted By: pervis

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 12:36 PM

I counted 20 yesterday around where I live and watched local mallards fly at the last minute. More than what's been around that's for sure

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 12:37 PM

Normally i would see the power lines loaded right after hard rain

I drove around for miles yesterday and counted very few sitting on them lines.

bang

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 03:08 PM

According to TPWD y'all are full of it. scratch

It's shaping up to be a fantastic season. Dove populations are thriving this year thanks to spring rains. States to our north had similar spring conditions, which should result in strong numbers of additional birds migrating to Texas later this season. Get ready to hunt some dove!

I suppose they gotta sell licenses.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 03:12 PM

Anyone around Plainview? It's always loaded up with doves in the winter when I go there to hunt quail, but I have no idea about Sep.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 03:33 PM

I saw more yesterday and today then before the rains. Only Sunday will tell.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 03:45 PM

According to TPWD y'all are full of it. scratch

It's shaping up to be a fantastic season. Dove populations are thriving this year thanks to spring rains. States to our north had similar spring conditions, which should result in strong numbers of additional birds migrating to Texas later this season. Get ready to hunt some dove!

I suppose they gotta sell licenses.

They say that every year.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 03:45 PM

What is tpw smoking? Lmao

[Linked Image]

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 04:17 PM

Yeah...I'm sure there are birds around but this is the fewest I've seen in the Williamson county area in years.
Posted By: jhunter77

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 04:33 PM

They're flying heavy in my subdivided neighborhood in the evenings. Red Rider could be the way to go...j/k
Posted By: TXCrossTimbers

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 04:38 PM

Loads of birds up and down the I-20 & 30 corridor from Cisco to Rockwall last week. After this cold front and rain...nothing.
Posted By: Creek Henry

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 09:05 PM

I am waiting for the yearly posts on 9/1 9am...

"Limited out already, time for a beer!!"

Meanwhile, the rest of us get a few for 3 days of hunting...

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Creek Henry
I am waiting for the yearly posts on 9/1 9am...

"Limited out already, time for a beer!!"

Meanwhile, the rest of us get a few for 3 days of hunting...

rofl
Posted By: Trenton

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 10:09 PM

Anyone have any recent Baylor county reports? I hunt 10 min east of Seymour.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 10:17 PM

Anyone around Plainview? It's always loaded up with doves in the winter when I go there to hunt quail, but I have no idea about Sep.
Got friends around there that we pheasant hunt with every year. About 10K acres of crop and CRP land. They're coming down to Central Texas for the opener, if that tells you anything.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Dove Reports - 08/28/19 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by beaversnipe
What is tpw smoking? Lmao

[Linked Image]

Think they are gonna say, “stay home, don’t buy a license and watch the Oxygen Network”

Re: Dove Reports - 08/29/19 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Got friends around there that we pheasant hunt with every year. About 10K acres of crop and CRP land. They're coming down to Central Texas for the opener, if that tells you anything.

Thank you!

Re: Dove Reports - 08/29/19 02:22 AM

I made a round today after an early morning run to Cisco from Graham. I came back through Graham to Throckmorton up to Seymour over to KnoX city through Rule and Old Glory over to Hamlin to Rotan and came back through Haskell. There are plenty of pretty mowed sunflower pastures with hardly any dove on them. I saw decent numbers between Breckinridge and Moran but hardly anything on the rest of the trip.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/29/19 09:38 AM

Article from Shannon Tompkins from the Houston Chronicle is saying better birds this year too.

Data from TPWD surveys indicate this year’s breeding population of mourning doves was 30-35 million birds, up considerably from an estimated 28 million this past year. The state’s breeding population of white-winged doves, notoriously hard to census, is estimated at as many as 16 million.

Hunters’ prospects good as dove season nears

Remember everyone, season opener in the North and Central zone is SUNDAY, not Saturday.
Posted By: Copper tx.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/29/19 09:51 AM

Drove around yesterday and noticed they grew more beans than corn this year. That's my problem
Posted By: Eastxhuntr

Re: Dove Reports - 08/29/19 12:38 PM

Just saw a dove in downtown - the front is really working!! Hope y’all have plenty of dove scent!!!!
Posted By: Gnorris19

Re: Dove Reports - 08/29/19 02:51 PM

Last weekend in Callahan County I was seeing a decent amount of birds but throughout the week they have almost disappeared. Hoping the "cold front" helps bring some in.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/29/19 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by decook
Article from Shannon Tompkins from the Houston Chronicle is saying better birds this year too.

Data from TPWD surveys indicate this year’s breeding population of mourning doves was 30-35 million birds, up considerably from an estimated 28 million this past year. The state’s breeding population of white-winged doves, notoriously hard to census, is estimated at as many as 16 million.

Hunters’ prospects good as dove season nears

Remember everyone, season opener in the North and Central zone is SUNDAY, not Saturday.

Shannon Dumpkins got a bonus and a free meal to write that dumb article
Shannon doesnt even hunt, she is sitting all day waiting for the clock to turn 5pm
up Never trust a dude named Shannon. Yall got Vandammed, dont get Vandammed.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/29/19 03:41 PM

Saw a big o wad, prolly 100 birds, while running my pup at the park this morning. I wonder how quick a cop would show up? nuts
Posted By: Mathp

Re: Dove Reports - 08/30/19 01:57 PM

I have a confirmed sighting yesterday on my place 10 miles north of Mineral Wells off 281. They are grouping up with as many as six at a time.
Posted By: 1bigbill

Re: Dove Reports - 08/30/19 04:08 PM

I drove from Mineral Wells to Palo Pinto then south around lake to Gordon then north to Dodson Ptaire. 12 birds. Back to 101Ranch.. usually a count of about of about 200 doves. Back to Mineral Wells. A grand total ot 28 for a 75 miles .Worse than last year. Out of 10 hunts last year I shot only 43. A normal year for me is about 250. A big change in ag planting. Now plowed fields,weeds,little wheat or sunflowers Looks bad for opening day. Enjoy.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Dove Reports - 08/30/19 06:47 PM

Well, I saw a ton of birds this morning when I was scouting....that's probably all wrong info now with the big storm hitting the metroplex. So much for timing
Posted By: MW1962

Re: Dove Reports - 08/30/19 07:01 PM

Anybody know anything about the Bowie area?
Posted By: HOF

Re: Dove Reports - 08/30/19 07:25 PM

Sorry to report the rains of yesterday seem to have pushed our birds out. (Vernon area) Not that the numbers were great before, but man o man, I'm not seeing the numbers as I drive Western part of the county this morning. Good luck and be safe.

P.S. We have chances of more storms and have had a fairly good North wind. I'm guessing somewhere between here and Austin the birds are piling up.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/30/19 07:52 PM

Counted about 100 in my field in n ft w, so thats ok.
Milo 80% cut

Re: Dove Reports - 08/31/19 10:45 AM

Posted By: snake oil

Re: Dove Reports - 08/31/19 10:51 AM

Drove out and checked our lease at Woodson yesterday evening. Plenty of birds!!! banana

Re: Dove Reports - 08/31/19 03:21 PM

Anyone limit yet??

nuts

Re: Dove Reports - 08/31/19 03:32 PM

Anyone limit yet??

nuts

I bet the whole force of Game Wardens are out listening for any pop today.
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: Dove Reports - 08/31/19 06:46 PM

Seen maybe 4 dove this morning scouting out side of Iowa Park (outside of Wichita Falls). None on the power lines. I don’t think I have seen many I since the storms pushed though on Thursday.

Anyone in the area wanna invite a father and daughter team? Just told my daughter not to get her hopes up for tomorrow. But we will be out there.

Re: Dove Reports - 08/31/19 08:14 PM

Still holding 100 on my lease, Obama self
GW will be bored
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Dove Reports - 09/01/19 04:39 AM

A few local birds on our field west of Graham. Not the numbers I expected but enough flying that we should do ok tomorrow. Only two of us on a large field of sunflowers. Lots of drivers on the road stopping and scouting our field. I would not be surprised if we have to run off a local or two poaching on it in the morning.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/01/19 06:54 AM

Tried to sleep but rain has allergies all fired up. Don't want to take Benadryl so I'm setting here reading dove reports and scouting duck locations. I've seen more birds the last few days. Young and old. I don't think tomorrow will be a barn burner but I expect we'll see birds. Better than last year when we saw maybe 10 all day.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/07/19 09:22 AM

I finally saw a dove in Montgomery county
One, but that's a 100% improvement.
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Dove Reports - 09/07/19 01:25 PM

Pretty poor activity around the Brenham TX, Lake somerville place...... we are just 6 miles south of Nails Creek Park on west side of the lake, saw 3 birds this past week. Maybe a good weather change is in order? Everyone around me has water in ponds, so birds dont have to fly far to drink....

Another bad year I guess....

hunt safe.....
Posted By: NeKro

Re: Dove Reports - 09/07/19 01:39 PM

I saw some doves on my lawn this morning. What a tease.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/07/19 05:35 PM

Saw a ton of birds along the road in grimes county

Only a few were dove.
scared
Posted By: TripleE

Re: Dove Reports - 09/07/19 06:38 PM

Shot 11 in Panola county Tuesday in 20 min. There were 90 on the high line when I pulled up. Left to save it for yesterday and took the wife. We pulled up at 3pm and the truck said 101 degrees. She got 5 and I got 14 and we left at 530. Hunting a heavily grazed pasture loaded with dove weed and 2 small ponds for them to water at.

Spent last weekend in S Tx - Alice area visiting family and scouting for the 14th opener. Only shot 1 white wing and a couple mourners. If you have a good food source down there then you have birds. Got the honey hole picked out while there. Should be great!
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Dove Reports - 09/08/19 02:53 AM

Probably over 100 in my back yard every afternoon in San Marcos
Posted By: fonzie

Re: Dove Reports - 09/08/19 05:27 AM

Nothing on my place in graham pretty sad season there. Sunflowers are up but no birds.
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Dove Reports - 09/08/19 01:11 PM

Hunted over a corn field with a large reservoir. Saw 0.
Drove over another field with dove weed and spoke to two groups who got 0 as well.
Still sitting on 0 birds seen while hunting a field in the Waller/Brookshire area.
Did see one on the power line as I locked the gate though.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/08/19 04:50 PM

I saw 2 more at the Kroger at FM 2978 and 1488!! Whooo Hooo!
Its an invasion I tall ya happy3
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Dove Reports - 09/08/19 04:57 PM

Hunted Fri afternoon and Sat morning 5 miles S of Olney... Terrible....Usually a very hot field.... Saw large groups Whitewing headed in to town Fri afternoon and leaving Sat morning...

Re: Dove Reports - 09/08/19 09:48 PM

Not the usual results from the last couple of years out west of Throckmorton. Had some decent hunts but this morning was a bad as it gets. Prolly 20 guys in the field and maybe 3-4 dove killed. The local birds are moving from pressured fields and we need an influx of new birds. Heat was brutal.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Dove Reports - 09/09/19 02:21 AM

What is the explanation for this?
Posted By: nocknload

Re: Dove Reports - 09/09/19 02:29 AM

Hunted this weekend some local birds in Haskell, did OK no limits. Heat was nasty.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/09/19 02:50 AM

ALL IN MY BACKYARD....BB time ??
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cbeck

Re: Dove Reports - 09/09/19 02:27 PM

I’m in concho county almost in Eola. Group of 6 of us went out and only shot 50 birds over three days. All local.
Posted By: KCH

Re: Dove Reports - 09/09/19 04:03 PM

Been extremely slow to non-existent in Gustine (Comanche Co.). Need a front to bring new birds badly!

Re: Dove Reports - 09/09/19 04:28 PM

In Response to the Post " What is the Explanation for this", One Theory is the Fact that for Most Part of the State in '18, HAD A VERY DRY SPRING and the Local Birds did not have a Good Hatch (IF ANY) and sometimes it take a few years for the Bird Population to "BOUNCE" Back. The 2nd Theory is that W/ ALL the Spring Rains that we had, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A BANNER YEAR FOR DOVES, BUT, The fact that we had rain, We Also had Storms and It has been Brought up that Maybe the Birds didn't have a Good Hatch or Hatches is due to the Fact their Nest were Destroyed During Prime Nesting Time Due to the Storms...

I think It was a Combination of Both Theories and I have been Hunting these Birds for Over 40 Yrs. and I was shocked to see how Low the (Overall) Population was this Past Summer!! I guess Mother Nature likes to throw those Curve Balls at us to Keep us on our Toes!

SK
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Dove Reports - 09/09/19 05:01 PM

I've seen more deer driving to and from work than I have birds recently.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Dove Reports - 09/09/19 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Aggiedukmaster
In Response to the Post " What is the Explanation for this", One Theory is the Fact that for Most Part of the State in '18, HAD A VERY DRY SPRING and the Local Birds did not have a Good Hatch (IF ANY) and sometimes it take a few years for the Bird Population to "BOUNCE" Back. The 2nd Theory is that W/ ALL the Spring Rains that we had, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A BANNER YEAR FOR DOVES, BUT, The fact that we had rain, We Also had Storms and It has been Brought up that Maybe the Birds didn't have a Good Hatch or Hatches is due to the Fact their Nest were Destroyed During Prime Nesting Time Due to the Storms...

I think It was a Combination of Both Theories and I have been Hunting these Birds for Over 40 Yrs. and I was shocked to see how Low the (Overall) Population was this Past Summer!! I guess Mother Nature likes to throw those Curve Balls at us to Keep us on our Toes!

SK

I agree with this reason. I know 18 was a horrible hatch year....this year we thought we would be ok but the population is still down.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/11/19 12:33 AM

Found another hot field last week and asked permission from the landowner. In Shelby county this time. This afternoon got 15. Buddy was able to get 10. Again over goat weed. Having a great year so far!

Re: Dove Reports - 09/11/19 01:10 AM

I went out of my way to drive around Olney today. Hardly any dove between there and Seymour. I killed three tonight in Young county. I killed 8 in Fisher county Saturday night and probably should have killed 10. I had 3 ten year old boys that gave up hunting swimming in the tank with my lab right next to where I was hunting. It was a good time.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/11/19 03:30 AM

I can't go until we get a real front. Just no point until then. Then it should be on. Might be October though.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Dove Reports - 09/11/19 05:48 PM

I can't go until we get a real front. Just no point until then. Then it should be on. Might be October though.

Yeppers. I have hunted many fronts in the past and have usually experienced lots of birds. I like hunting in October.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Dove Reports - 09/11/19 06:12 PM

I hunted Haskell last weekend and there weren't many birds. 9 hunters, hunted 2 days and all total about 30 birds.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Dove Reports - 09/11/19 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by twinbubba
I hunted Haskell last weekend and there weren't many birds. 9 hunters, hunted 2 days and all total about 30 birds.

what area of Haskell and what kind of crop did you hunt over?

Re: Dove Reports - 09/11/19 08:56 PM

Seeing more birds in Eastern Wiliamson County ,between Georgetown and Coupland, than I have all year. Not sure if they are new or just congregating because they are being shot at but it has gone from close to zero birds to enough to get me excited.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/12/19 02:52 AM

Went back the Panola County field from last Friday and shot a limit in 40 min this afternoon. More birds today than last week. Maybe they moved east this year....??

Re: Dove Reports - 09/12/19 02:56 AM

Predicting 60's for high in the Panhandle end of month......??????????
Posted By: bruiser

Re: Dove Reports - 09/12/19 01:10 PM

Headed down to the Three Rivers area for the opening of the south zone. Any reports?

Re: Dove Reports - 09/12/19 01:22 PM

Still lots of birds in the Corpus are. 2 more days

Re: Dove Reports - 09/13/19 01:23 PM

It’s dove eve in south Texas and it’s going to be a good ‘un! Good luck to all down here tomorrow and remember when there is lead in the air there is hope!
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Dove Reports - 09/13/19 08:40 PM

Guess I'm going to start traveling south to find any birds

Re: Dove Reports - 09/13/19 09:09 PM

Just got call from a friend crossing Red River to Oklahoma Said he saw several large bunches of dove about the river. Maybe some on the way. About time.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/15/19 12:03 PM

I hunted Stiles Farms yesterday afternoon. Saw 6 total doves, only 1 was in range to me but it was before 3 PM. I think the local birds are shot out of here, this was as slow as Ive seen it.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/15/19 01:42 PM

Hunted in Justin yesterday morning got 7 in the afternoon I was invited to hunt down my Hillsboro got two more birds didn’t see many flying
Posted By: Lane Palmer

Re: Dove Reports - 09/15/19 03:02 PM

Yesterday afternoon three of us limited in 1.5hrs in the Haskell/Stamford area. This morning we did it again in 2hrs. Not seeing large sized birds but the numbers were good.
Posted By: ghostlight

Re: Dove Reports - 09/15/19 04:47 PM

Any South Zone reports-- hunting tomorrow near Mathis

Re: Dove Reports - 09/15/19 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by ghostlight

Should be great. 2 limits in 2 days. One in Odem, one in sinton. Both in less than an hour.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Dove Reports - 09/15/19 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by erathar

Should be great. 2 limits in 2 days. One in Odem, one in sinton. Both in less than an hour.

At least someone has birds....
Posted By: F-250

Re: Dove Reports - 09/16/19 12:04 AM

Visited family in Graham this weekend hunted dove around Woodson Saturday morning no birds. Tried again just north of Graham also no birds. Didn’t hear many shots at all.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/16/19 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by erathar

At least someone has birds....

It has been the best 2 days of hunting I've ever seen. Last night was crazy. It was a group of 10 + coming in every minute or so. The best part is it's the farm field behind my house.
Posted By: jeffnsa

Re: Dove Reports - 09/16/19 03:31 PM

Hunted Saturday evening over a pond in Floresville and would of had a limit if I could shoot worth a darn.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/16/19 06:21 PM

Still nothing here. I think this season is already a bust.

Oh well another dove season in December at least.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Dove Reports - 09/16/19 06:24 PM

No problems finding limits Saturday in southern Live Oak County.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/16/19 07:41 PM

TCM3- some of the best dove hunting is later in Sept and in October as fronts come through. Doves are migratory birds. If none are here now they will come.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/16/19 09:41 PM

TCM3 are you hunting public this year?
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: Dove Reports - 09/16/19 10:24 PM

Frio County near Pearsall sounds like a war zone in the mornings and evenings lol. Great numbers of birds being seen!

Re: Dove Reports - 09/17/19 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by F-250
Visited family in Graham this weekend hunted dove around Woodson Saturday morning no birds. Tried again just north of Graham also no birds. Didn’t hear many shots at all.

My lease is in Graham sunflowers are up and look good BUT no birds

Re: Dove Reports - 09/17/19 01:14 AM

South and East of Alice has been nice! Had 8 folks out over the weekend and we did well. 160 acres of sesame cut a week ago helps. One more limit tomorrow then taking a break.
Posted By: Jungleexplorer

Re: Dove Reports - 09/17/19 11:12 PM

I think doves went extinct in Jones county. Have not even bother to take my gun out of the case. Two years ago, it was Argentina style hunting. Now there is nothing. I have three hundred acres of wild sunflowers and ponds with water, and there are no birds. I don't understand it.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/17/19 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jungleexplorer
I think doves went extinct in Jones county. Have not even bother to take my gun out of the case. Two years ago, it was Argentina style hunting. Now there is nothing. I have three hundred acres of wild sunflowers and ponds with water, and there are no birds. I don't understand it.

The good and bad thing about dove hunting is one cool front can change everything. If you have good dove habitat they’ll show up. I’m seeing more dove at my place in Young county every day. I’ve noticed when the humming birds start showing up the dove aren’t too far behind, and I have a chitload of humming birds.
Posted By: Jungleexplorer

Re: Dove Reports - 09/18/19 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
Originally Posted by Jungleexplorer

The good and bad thing about dove hunting is one cool front can change everything. If you have good dove habitat they’ll show up. I’m seeing more dove at my place in Young county every day. I’ve noticed when the humming birds start showing up the dove aren’t too far behind, and I have a chitload of humming birds.

Yeah, I know that, but I usually have a ton of local birds that live here all year long that I can hunt until the first cold front pushes some northern birds down. This has been for wildlife, with record rainfall and more food than ever. The local birds should have had excellent breeding results.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/20/19 11:20 PM

I’m seeing 100’s of whitewings flying high through Young county tonight. With a light rain.
Posted By: cleboje

Re: Dove Reports - 09/22/19 11:01 PM

Took a chance on a hunt in Frio county on Saturday...morning was a bit slow...but the evening flight did not disappoint.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/23/19 12:15 AM

I’m seeing 100’s of whitewings flying high through Young county tonight. With a light rain.

Where in Young Co are you?

Re: Dove Reports - 09/23/19 03:28 PM

Birds we flying this past Friday got 4 but went out again Sunday and it was really slow. Williamson Co.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/23/19 05:32 PM

Birds in Panola county have moved on. Alice area still hot and heavy as of yesterday.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/23/19 05:41 PM

Slowed up here also
Posted By: rickym

Re: Dove Reports - 09/23/19 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by TripleE
Birds in Panola county have moved on. Alice area still hot and heavy as of yesterday.

They were pretty thick in cass county this weekend so you probably got more coming. Afternoon was much better than the mornings.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/23/19 08:25 PM

Good deal. Went out Saturday afternoon and only managed 3. The Saturday before my wife and her son got 26 between the 2 of them.
Posted By: Birdfeeder

Re: Dove Reports - 09/23/19 08:39 PM

Hello All (y'all)!
Thanks for the updates and reports, much appreciated. I agree, the birds have been very scarce since opening weekend. We're hunting in Williamson county---and there's been almost ZERO birds---other than in the towns (of course)---white wings everywhere..... "not so much" out in the sticks. I've been trying to get my son excited about hunting, and keep promising that they'll show up soon???? Any ideas?
thanks,
Hurns
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Dove Reports - 09/24/19 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Birdfeeder
Hello All (y'all)!
Thanks for the updates and reports, much appreciated. I agree, the birds have been very scarce since opening weekend. We're hunting in Williamson county---and there's been almost ZERO birds---other than in the towns (of course)---white wings everywhere..... "not so much" out in the sticks. I've been trying to get my son excited about hunting, and keep promising that they'll show up soon???? Any ideas?
thanks,
Hurns

welcome peep

Re: Dove Reports - 09/24/19 11:03 PM

Hello All (y'all)!
thanks,
Hurns

I would find a day lease that has birds. That's what I did when my youngest started. Now he knows it's kind of a crap shoot. But getting him on birds that first year was key. Even if you have to drive a few miles and even if you can only afford for him to hunt I would do it.

Welcome!

Re: Dove Reports - 09/24/19 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by fonzie

Where in Young Co are you?

I’m between Graham and Bryson.

Heard a good report from a buddy hunting in Lueders last weekend. Killed limits of Northern dove on a field over there.

I’m sitting at a hotel parking lot in Paul’s Valley OK tonight. There a sunflower field next to the hotel and I’m seeing nothing.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/25/19 03:59 AM

Good call! thanks, JND59
Posted By: HuntFish512

Re: Dove Reports - 09/25/19 07:57 AM

Hello All (y'all)!
thanks,
Hurns

Ive been hunting from wilco to new braunfels and have family on somerset road in somerset. Ive managed 3 this year., seen maybe 10 after opener. Until we get a cold front its gonna stay SLOW, as others have advised look for day hunts that may have fields still holding local birds.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/25/19 03:12 PM

Hunted in Willimson Co this morning and it was slow again. Managed one and most of the birds were flying around 7-715. Didn't take shot at that since I was still dark and I wouldn't be able to late them.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/25/19 08:49 PM

There are birds in Williamson & Bell Cty. Not a lot but you have to search. Have been getting about six each trip.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/25/19 11:44 PM

1st for me. 1 mourning.
Montgomery Co.
[Linked Image]

Re: Dove Reports - 09/26/19 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by browning66
There are birds in Williamson & Bell Cty. Not a lot but you have to search. Have been getting about six each trip.

Thanks for the response---are you hunting on a lease or paid-hunt land? I see birds in town but not anywhere else...

Re: Dove Reports - 09/26/19 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bass&More
Hello All (y'all)!
thanks,
Hurns

welcome peep

Thank you for the Welcome, Bass&More--I appreciate it. Happy to be here!
Posted By: Espy

Re: Dove Reports - 09/26/19 10:50 PM

We hunted Robertson county (Calvert) yesterday evening saw quite a few birds.Had several hitting the mojos hard. ended up with 12 birds. Hunted Bell bounty last week maybe saw a bird every 30 mins bang We also hunt Falls county its been steady with birds up

Re: Dove Reports - 09/27/19 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Espy
We hunted Robertson county (Calvert) yesterday evening saw quite a few birds.Had several hitting the mojos hard. ended up with 12 birds. Hunted Bell bounty last week maybe saw a bird every 30 mins bang We also hunt Falls county its been steady with birds up

Whoa!! excellent! Well done.... how many hunters in the group?

Re: Dove Reports - 09/27/19 06:58 PM

Thinking of going dove hunting this evening. What time yall go hunting in the evening time, I always been going in the morning.
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Dove Reports - 09/27/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by NeKro
Thinking of going dove hunting this evening. What time yall go hunting in the evening time, I always been going in the morning.

4:30 to legal

Re: Dove Reports - 09/27/19 07:43 PM

Whereabouts you headed? We were thinking of going as well---but my list of chores for the weekend is already growing.... may have to hold-off. Let us know how you do!

Re: Dove Reports - 09/27/19 08:10 PM

Whereabouts you headed? We were thinking of going as well---but my list of chores for the weekend is already growing.... may have to hold-off. Let us know how you do!

At my lease in Hutto. Got off work early so figured ill try out hunting in the evening

Re: Dove Reports - 09/28/19 01:40 PM

Did good yesterday evening. Got 8 birds, it was my best hunt, its only been my 4th time hunting lol

Re: Dove Reports - 09/28/19 03:19 PM

Did good yesterday evening. Got 8 birds, it was my best hunt, its only been my 4th time hunting lol

Congrats! up

Re: Dove Reports - 09/28/19 04:04 PM

Very nice! Is your leased closed? If there are any spots open, please let me know!
thank you
Posted By: Garwoodie

Re: Dove Reports - 09/28/19 09:28 PM

Found some birds near Pearsall yesterday!

Re: Dove Reports - 09/29/19 12:23 AM

[Linked Image]

This is how hard my mutt had to work in Fisher county tonight..Not a dove in the sky. We’ve moved on to hog hunting off the back porch. I may wound one just so she can find something.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/29/19 01:02 AM

We are shooting a very few

Re: Dove Reports - 09/29/19 01:22 AM

Williamson county, Stiles farms south pasture, none. Didnt see one at all.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/29/19 04:55 PM

First little push of northern birds here early Saturday morning on the northerly wind shift. Guys had a pretty decent hunt Saturday and Sunday morning.
Posted By: TTT Ranch

Re: Dove Reports - 09/29/19 07:37 PM

[Linked Image]

Starting to see really good numbers in Throckmorton County. My GSP and I had fun this morning.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/30/19 01:08 AM

Still excellent hunting around Alice. Brought the better half this trip and we shot 15 dove each for 3 days. One more morning then we have to head back home. Been a great year down here and in East Tx.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/30/19 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by decook
Williamson county, Stiles farms south pasture, none. Didnt see one at all.

Yep.... know what that feels like.... we've been there for four hunts this year (20+ hrs. total in the field)---- 3 total birds on opening day----none since...... it's Totalbs!

Re: Dove Reports - 09/30/19 02:19 AM

Report from Batesville/ Uvalde.

We have taken over 6,000 birds so far this season. Nearly all hunters have shot limits or had a pile of shells under them. It has been a phenomenal year for us.

Re: Dove Reports - 09/30/19 02:55 AM

how are GSP's for retrieving doves? looking for a sister for my German shepherd, but i do want a bird dog. get one for home protection and one for hunting

Re: Dove Reports - 09/30/19 11:18 AM

how are GSP's for retrieving doves? looking for a sister for my German shepherd, but i do want a bird dog. get one for home protection and one for hunting

Both of my GSP’s are outstanding retrievers. Neither required any sort of force fetch. They just love birds.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Dove Reports - 09/30/19 12:32 PM

I am covered up, I am also in the city hammer

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Took this pic right after the Dove pics, thought it was cool.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Dove Reports - 09/30/19 12:35 PM

up Oh, they may have just a bird brain, but they know.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Dove Reports - 09/30/19 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
up Oh, they may have just a bird brain, but they know.

Yep you know thats right.
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Dove Reports - 09/30/19 05:12 PM

Had a great Saturday evening and Sunday morning in Coleman County - most birds I've seen flying since dove opener.

Re: Dove Reports - 10/01/19 04:14 AM

Had litterally thousands of large northern dove on our wheat field in Dickens County this past weekend....................

Re: Dove Reports - 10/01/19 11:34 PM

Seeing a lot more dove birds flying over tonight in Young county. I’m cooking steaks for my sons birthday or I’d be out there with a shotgun. I’m getting excited for the first time this year. Dove are hitting the tank, and flying low enough to die.
Posted By: hawk

Re: Dove Reports - 10/02/19 12:30 AM

Seeing a lot more birds in Tom Green County.

Re: Dove Reports - 10/03/19 05:14 PM

“This never-ending summer has had an effect,” he said. “We need some cold fronts. Bird behavior seems almost a month behind. In the last week, I’m seeing some mourning dove grouping up in Central Texas. Usually we see that in late August.”

https://www.lsonews.com/what-happened-to-the-dove/

Re: Dove Reports - 10/03/19 05:22 PM

Finally shot a limit of White Wings. Very tricky shooting in trees First trigger I’ve pulled this season Nice for a change These were local birds. Getting cold up North, things may change
Posted By: gobble1975

Re: Dove Reports - 10/03/19 08:32 PM

Was shooting limits about 4 days a week since Sept. 1st in Southern New Mexico. The past couple of days have been horrible maybe getting a new push and these are coming to Texas.

Re: Dove Reports - 10/04/19 07:29 PM

Lots of birds west of Throckmorton yesterday and I mean a bunch. Hunting solo got limits 1 hour 45 yesterday, 1 hour 10 this am. About 1/3 northern birds. From 4 to 4.30 yesterday guessing 300-400 birds hit the sunflowers. I hunted facing north and when the wind changed the bird were hauling @#$. Lots of fun. 61 this am cloudy with a north breeze sure felt good. It’s about time.

Re: Dove Reports - 10/04/19 10:01 PM

Good to hear they are moving

Re: Dove Reports - 10/05/19 08:41 PM

Went out this morning, slow again. I only managed 2 but planing on going tomorrow afternoon.

Re: Dove Reports - 10/06/19 01:05 AM

Did a limit one of my better days If I can get photobucket working I 'll put a pic

Re: Dove Reports - 10/06/19 07:40 PM

[Linked Image]

Another great morning in Throckmorton County. More and more northern birds arriving and many groups of 20+ birds.
Posted By: rogerh

Re: Dove Reports - 10/06/19 08:23 PM

Killed 13 weekend of opening bow season on that Friday 30 minutes of fast shooting, they was gone the next day. I guess they were passing thru
most had dark purple legs.
Posted By: cactusfishman

Re: Dove Reports - 10/08/19 04:24 PM

We were covered up with them on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Just east of Haskell. Big groups were busting in with the cold front Sunday evening. Hunted fields on the lease and our rancher let us hunt one of his ponds Sunday. My nephew had not seen action like this and got a little overwhelmed, therefore missed quite a few. I ain't the best shot either

The birds started moving before sunrise and seemed to end around 8:30 both mornings. They started moving late in the evenings also. It was hard to leave the pond at sunset with so many birds still flocking in.

Next weekend looks promising with the other stronger front moving in.
Cheers!

Re: Dove Reports - 10/14/19 01:55 PM

Sounds like they may be moving into Texas.... how about with this recent cold snap?? anyone have any more luck?
Posted By: Cueman

Re: Dove Reports - 10/15/19 04:29 PM

Good birds in Santa Anna last weekend. Going back this weekend for some more!
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Dove Reports - 10/15/19 05:11 PM

Plenty of birds moving through live oak county over the past week or so.
Posted By: Hunter4life°

Re: Dove Reports - 10/15/19 05:54 PM

Plenty of Birds in Kaufman county right now
Posted By: Canvasback

Re: Dove Reports - 10/19/19 04:33 PM

Very slow in Milam county still

Re: Dove Reports - 10/19/19 04:37 PM

Williamson Co had good birds flying. Got 4 but because I suck at shooting shotguns.

Re: Dove Reports - 10/20/19 02:02 PM

Steady numbers of morning dove in Frio County...

Re: Dove Reports - 10/20/19 05:26 PM

The past 4 weekends have been pretty decent. Next weekend is my last weekend, with 3 fronts coming in it's going to be real interesting.

Re: Dove Reports - 10/20/19 05:39 PM

Good numbers in brookshire this morning. Killed 10, should have had an easy limit if I wasn’t such a poor shot.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Dove Reports - 10/20/19 06:42 PM

We shot the heck out of them in pearsall last Thursday. Easy limits if you could shoot
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Dove Reports - 10/24/19 05:40 PM

East of DFW is barren of dove. Not historically the best dove hunting area but if on the right field it can be good. I have a cut milo field on the road to my neighborhood and have probably seen less than 5 dove. Normally after a couple of fronts there would be a 100+ on the lines in the evening but not this year. Last year was wet as heck and it was hard to get to some fields and this year dry and roads are good and no birds.

Re: Dove Reports - 10/28/19 12:51 PM

Did a morning hunt in Frio County on Sunday...numbers of birds are down...and the morning flight was shorter than usual...time for a new front to (hopefully) bring some new birds down...come on, Mother Nature!!!

Re: Dove Reports - 10/28/19 06:10 PM

Hunted this past weekend both morning hunts. Birds were slow especially on Saturday. Saw more birds Sunday only got one bird each day due to horrible shooting. Hope this last weeks brings some more birds out in Williamson county
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Dove Reports - 10/30/19 01:38 AM

Smoked them last day of season. 30 minute hunt after 6pm over Croton and water. Van Zandt county

I stand corrected. Central zone closes Nov 3rd clap

Geese show up after 9-10 am. See what happens

Re: Dove Reports - 10/30/19 10:49 AM

They are pretty all gone in my area
Posted By: TOO

Re: Dove Reports - 10/30/19 02:41 PM

Absolutely ridiculous number of birds in and coming to the field in very eastern Medina county near LaCoste less than 30 minutes from downtown SA.

5 hunter limits in under 2 hours. Shooting skills is why it took that long..

Can't but expect the bird numbers to continue to be outstanding with as much sunflower we have on the stalk and knocked down and that south Texas is wintering grounds for mourning dove. 2nd split is going to be spectacular.
Posted By: Westtexan1

Re: Dove Reports - 10/30/19 09:26 PM

Any reports from Throckmorton/Haskell? Thinking about one more hunt this weekend.

Re: Dove Reports - 11/03/19 02:39 AM

Hunted out in Williamson county this morning. Not a lot of birds but we has a swarm of birds for about 5 minutes they came out of no where. Only got 2 because of bad shooting.

Re: Dove Reports - 11/04/19 04:45 PM

Finished up the first split with a Sunday pm hunt with TOO...and it was everything I could have hoped for...good looking field with a solid food source...and birds...lots and lots of birds...!

Now, on most days, I am just a mediocre shooter...but this field was SO HOT, that even I was walking out with a limit of dove in 1-1/2 hours!

If you are looking to put some dove poppers on the table for the second split...I highly recommend giving TOO a call...!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TOO

Re: Dove Reports - 11/04/19 08:25 PM

Cle, it was an honor to have you out and hunt. Glad the hunt was as you hoped it would be. The other hunters took a bit longer due to D being inexperienced at shooting birds. Birds became even more plentiful after you left.

Look forward to having you out during the second split.

[Linked Image]

Re: Dove Reports - 11/04/19 11:28 PM

White wings were piling into my place in Young county. I was working bird dogs and could have had an easy limit. I wish I didn’t have to spend the next three days in OKC.

Re: Dove Reports - 11/05/19 02:50 AM

Tons of birds here this afternoon, but it's deer season and my dove season is over.
Posted By: Westtexan1

Re: Dove Reports - 11/05/19 04:37 AM

Lots of birds in Throckmorton this weekend. Ended up taking a limit Sunday evening instead of deer hunting. Best dove hunting all year.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum