Texas Hunting Forum

Sitting Dove shot?

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 09:53 AM

So a dove or two land on a fence, in a tree, or on a highline....shoot or don't shoot? popcorn
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 10:58 AM

Depends on how hungry I am and how good the birds are flying.
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 11:34 AM

In range their done ✅

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by snake oil
Depends on how hungry I am and how good the birds are flying.

In my younger days Skillet Shots were not in my vocabulary!
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 12:12 PM

Definitely depends on how difficult limits are to get that day.
Posted By: takemking

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 02:28 PM

Take a few steps, line em up, and pull the trigger every time. Likewise I have no problem with shooting ducks on the water.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 03:02 PM

Heck no, always flying. I will let my kiddos do it though.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 03:21 PM

Flying for me.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 04:24 PM

If my kiddo or a younger hunter/my wife was there I would absolutely let them at it. If not I would absolutely blast them myself. Sooner I get my limit of dove the sooner I can just enjoy a cold one and conversation with friends/family.
Posted By: TxDiver

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 04:48 PM

Growing up, The men I hunted with believed it was bad form to shoot one unless it was flying. I continue to subscribe to that belief.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 05:26 PM

To me hunting is not a sport, it is a way of life and a way to collect your own food. The difficulty of the shot is moot to me.
Posted By: kdub

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 05:37 PM

boom
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 07:01 PM

Gotta practice for turkey season somehow.

rifle aim
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 08:12 PM

I never get close enough to shoot them while on a limb. They always fly first. Maybe that's because I run at them screaming "die you miserable bird, die!" but I'm not sure. It could be my lack of magnetic personality.
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 08:56 PM

flush them up then shoot them while flying.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by TxDiver
Growing up, The men I hunted with believed it was bad form to shoot one unless it was flying. I continue to subscribe to that belief.

Same for me. When my son got big enough to join us, I passed the same along to him. Along with the understanding if he did not posses the prowess to take them on the wing, I would help him work on his game.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 09:46 PM

Never on a highline.

Last year the only time I got to go I had one dove land in a liveoak about 40 yards out. He was the only dove I saw in ~3 hours. He actually stayed about 30 minutes before taking off. I was hoping he would call and attract some others but it was nasty hot and nothing was flying. For some reason he got a pass but that is rare.

rifle
Posted By: Lalo

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 09:49 PM

"highline" as in power line? I thought we weren't supposed to shoot power lines.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 10:00 PM

Absolutely not! That is like fishing with electricity.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/02/19 10:01 PM

haven't had to resort to skillet shooting yet. Unlike redchevy, its all for fun to me.

As long as its legal, I got no problem with anyone doing it.
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/03/19 04:29 AM

If its legal and safe go for it. A limit is a limit.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/03/19 05:49 AM

No sense in letting the ice melt first... If he is sitting in range, I have already missed 3 times! Time to die and wrap with bacon.

But no on power lines since I have known a few to get popped so those get a scare first. Rancher without power ain't happy!!
Posted By: nak

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/04/19 04:31 PM

With rare exception....on the wing.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/04/19 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Whack n stack
flush them up then shoot them while flying.

That is actually what I do instead of the skillet shot. I want my dog(s) to see the flush.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/05/19 02:43 AM

Yep same here, taught on the fly. But i have noticed, cant taste the difference between em!! confused2
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/05/19 03:42 AM

fence/tree yes I will sometimes shoot them. Power line no as that is considered private property and power companies and phone companies do not give permission to shoot there. if you do not believe me ask a game warden. I actually had wondered about that and learned the law on it at Hunters Ed instructor training.

sitting in a tree or in a fence that is on property you have the rights to hunt on without the shot going onto other property just like a bullet when shot t a deer

Posted By: sam_mccloud

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/06/19 11:19 PM

Sitting, with a BB gun
On the wing, with a shotgun
Posted By: Guy

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/07/19 12:21 AM

I like to line up 15 and get a limit with one shot.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/07/19 12:41 AM

One yahoo, 5 yrs ago, on my lease, shot doves from what he believed was a power line, a fiber optic line, across the road to top it off. The whole hood lost the cowboys game. Thank God he is no longer on the lease

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/07/19 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by beaversnipe
One yahoo, 5 yrs ago, on my lease, shot doves from what he believed was a power line, a fiber optic line, across the road to top it off. The whole hood lost the cowboys game. Thank God he is no longer on the lease

rofl
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/07/19 04:59 PM

I have to say that I'm surprised by the poll results thus far.
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/07/19 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Black02z28
X2
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/08/19 01:12 PM

Agree. I was always under the impression that it was illegal to shoot a stationary migratory bird.

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/09/19 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Slimpickin
X2

When I started the poll I expected a 70/30 split against.... scratch
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/09/19 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gamblinman

Agree. I was always under the impression that it was illegal to shoot a stationary migratory bird.

Uh no, just off a utility if you bust it. Well maybe not illegal, but very expensive. Ducks on the water..

I remember early on in my hunting days I have these thoughts of only shooting dove on the wing. 25 shots later you only have a bird or two. One lands on the fence next to you. Convinced your barrel is bent you raise the muzzle and nail him. Then you are convinced you really just suck!! grin Always good to set the record straight sometimes.

99% of the time I will scare it first though.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/09/19 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by takemking
Take a few steps, line em up, and pull the trigger every time. Likewise I have no problem with shooting ducks on the water.

You should never ever shoot a duck swimming on the water. I always wait until they stop moving and then shoot.

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/09/19 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Guy
I like to line up 15 and get a limit with one shot.

My late uncle didn't think a dove was worth a single shotgun shell unless you lined at least 5 up on a fence and skillet shot them!
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/09/19 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper John
Originally Posted by takemking

You should never ever shoot a duck swimming on the water. I always wait until they stop moving and then shoot.

Makes no difference to me, on a fence, in a tree or on the ground. Quail are no different, the less shots fired the better. Pop and I would go out with one box of shells between us, whoever had the most birds at 12 rounds got the extra round. I was the dove stalker, 7 in one shot was my best. 8 in one was my best on quail. Sneaking over tank dams and popping ducks was another favorite.
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Sitting Dove shot? - 08/12/19 05:47 PM

I shoot'um flying...but have taken an extra shot while they're on the ground. Sometimes, it's too dang hot to chase a cripple across the field!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum