Texas Hunting Forum

Layout Blind Question

Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Layout Blind Question - 07/18/19 07:19 PM

Looking at getting my first layout blind. Not a huge goose hunter but will get on em occasionally when the opportunity arises. Mainly duck hunting stock tanks and flooded wheat. Looking at a layout blind being faster then trying to setup a quick blind every morning. Question is there are different types of layout blinds. Between frameless and framed and a lot of variants in-between. I was looking at the Bulk Decoy Club Layout blind due to its affordability and it doubles as a decoy bag, however I'm not sure if I will regret getting a frameless blind. Is it hard to throw the "blanket" off and shoot quickly in comparison to having doors and is it a big deal that one covers your face while the other doesn't?
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Layout Blind Question - 07/18/19 09:49 PM

Comfort and concealment

I hunt a lot out of a layout.

The larger framed layouts are more comfortable but harder to hide and to break up the profile.

I have a large northern flight layout and its comfortable but heavy and needs to be brushed in well.

If you can drive up fairly close to your spots and have decent cover then go with a more comfortable framed one.

If you have to walk long distances and have little cover then a lighter, smaller, lower profile one would be better.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Layout Blind Question - 07/18/19 10:53 PM

I have several different types depending on situation. if cover is relatively the same and can leave brushed, how long I plan on laying in it, how far I have to carry it, etc. If you can drive right up to where youre hunting, something like a GHG GF/Finisher or a comparable is good as far as comfort and ease of setting up and breaking down. the typically cheaper, bag types are lower profile, but not nearly as comfortable if you plan on laying in it for very long
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Layout Blind Question - 07/19/19 01:24 AM

I am not a layout fan. I prefer a 2.5 foot long back board made out of plywood. I use another piece screwed to that board at 90 degrees. It is similar to a ramp used by mechanics to drive a car onto so as to get under the car. A little camo netting and I am good to go. Layouts are uncomfortable at best.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Layout Blind Question - 07/19/19 06:15 AM

Don't knock the layout blanket blind concept. I don't have to throw it off to shoot. I lay the gun over me or beside me. It is extremely portable and my preferred for duck hunting. I do hand sew some material to extend to cover my feet even if it gets bunched up moving around. I also added a section of see through mesh camo to the top of the cover to pull up over my head if I wish. Not pictured on this one, but I also added a square of fabric to the top left of the blind I can throw out for the dog to lay on, or to cover the dog if I wish. It is adjustable for how much incline and I usually have it much more sitting up than I do in my framed layout blind. My framed layout I mostly use for goose and crane hunting where I am going to be in place for a long time. The framed layout is very big and bulky so not something I want to carry very far.

[Linked Image]

Re: Layout Blind Question - 07/19/19 02:08 PM

Thanks guys, a lot of what I'm imagining will be similar to what Sniper John's pic looks like. Do yall ever have an issue with field of view based on the blind not leaning forward enough?
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Layout Blind Question - 07/19/19 02:44 PM

What Sniper showed is exactly what I use.l
Posted By: Chaseh

Re: Layout Blind Question - 07/19/19 08:09 PM

How big are you? I'm 6'2 and these days pushing 280... Hunted out of several, and I have a cabelas ultimate layout that I use quite a bit. Its big and heavy, but it actually fits me, when most others are pretty snugg. I strap it to the front of the airboat and throw it out on the bank (same for ponds). Its a PITA to carry around, but is big enough that my younger dog (55lb lab) can share it with me.

Hunted in Oklahoma last year with my buddy who is 6'4 and 320lb, he couldn't lean forward to make a shot as there was not enough room in the blind. So get in one before buying one, remember it's usually cold when you are in it, so buy bigger to accommodate clothing.

I have a momarsh invisi-chair that I love for hunting in the water. I'll probably buy the momarsh invisiblind layout this year to hunt some larger shallow flats, mainly around central texas. The invisiblind would be perfect for the flooded wheat! My ultimate is supposedly waterproof up to 8".... but it lets water in at the seams. So buy the invisiblind

I've used camo blankets and what not before like is shown above, but thats not enough concealment for me. Maybe my attitude has changed some. I like to watch the birds land in my lap, and when I focus on concealment, the shots get a LOT easier/closer, and to me that is more fun.

I hunt the river a lot, and it is my favorite hunting and really has me spoiled. We hide in the shadows from the son under small tree overhangs while leaning against the bank "being one with the trees" as i call it. I would pick natural concealment over any blind.

Re: Layout Blind Question - 07/19/19 09:20 PM

Im average size, 6'0 200lbs so I think I should fit decently in most things. Thanks for all the responses!
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Layout Blind Question - 07/20/19 04:33 AM

BTW, the blanket blind I pictured is not just a blanket and backboard. It is a single unit. The cover is attached to the ground pad on one side and has an aluminum rod through the other side to weigh the cover down when folded over. I mud it and grass the loops same as my framed layout blind, including with whatever vegetation is at the area I am hunting. I have even taken a can of spray adhesive to throw dirt and grass on it at the place I am hunting in a given day. The reason I prefer it for duck hunting is because it is several inches lower in profile than a framed blind so IMO is much more natural to the surroundings than a taller blind when on a barren lake or tank bank. I also use it inside my layout boat. As for a flooded field, this would not be a good choice though. the base is insulated from the ground, but not enclosed off the ground. If I want to sit up more than it can adjust, I often have used a boat cushion or rolled up jacket under my neck and shoulders, but most of the time with this blind I have it adjusted very low. It's purpose is to be as low profile to the ground as possible. With the camo mesh fabric addition I sewed to the top pulled over my head, I have had ducks and cranes walking close enough to me that I could have reached out and touched them. This one is inexpensive, light, and very K.I.S.S. as far as blinds go, but there are others that are more like laying in a sleeping back with a framed upper body cover that fill the same low profile and portability purpose. It has been worthwhile for me to have this type and the large framed layout both for different situations. More tools in the toolbox.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Astater

Re: Layout Blind Question - 07/26/19 03:54 PM

I've got multiple and use them for different situations. Will you have to pack this thing in on foot? If so, you've got to get a lighter one. Like the guys said, if you can drive up, get a more comfortable, framed one. To me, this is the most important question.

Secondly is concealment. I can conceal both but the larger one takes a little more effort.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum