Texas Hunting Forum

Cooling Vest

Posted By: LarryCopper

Cooling Vest - 06/03/19 02:50 PM

Not sure if this should go here or in the Gun Dog forum, but since it relates to the heat during dove hunts I'll put it here. Anyone tried one of these (or similar) for those hot days for their dog?

Dog Cooling Vest

Curios to see if it would be of any real help, especially on afternoons where you aren't next to a pond.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Cooling Vest - 06/03/19 03:38 PM

I want one for myself
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Cooling Vest - 06/03/19 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by garrett
I want one for myself

I know linemen use 'em. Back when I used to get migraines all the time, I tried to find a source for them.

Re: Cooling Vest - 06/04/19 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by garrett
I want one for myself

nidea

A vest that has that frozen gel stuff like in an ice pack bladder... that you can fill with Shiner. It has a drinking tube like a camel back. Keeps beer and you ice cold.

#winning
Posted By: Guy

Re: Cooling Vest - 06/04/19 03:13 PM

I wouldn’t mess with it. Just keep dog in shade between retrieves, have plenty water, don’t run your dog too hard, and just read your dog. Do all this and you should be fine. I think laying a wet towel on the ground, let them lay on that between retrieves is a good idea, hit it with ice water ever now and then.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Cooling Vest - 06/04/19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
I wouldn’t mess with it. Just keep dog in shade between retrieves, have plenty water, don’t run your dog too hard, and just read your dog. Do all this and you should be fine. I think laying a wet towel on the ground, let them lay on that between retrieves is a good idea, hit it with ice water ever now and then.
I bought one tried it one hunt. Never used it again. I take a washtub from Tractor Supply and 5 gallons bucket of water and put it up under the tailgate during dove season. 1/2 goes for buster and the other half for cleaning my hands and birds.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cooling Vest - 06/04/19 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat1
I bought one tried it one hunt. Never used it again.

Did it not work? Just a pain to deal with? I asked my question on Amazon and a couple folks got back saying that the vest I looked at isn't very tough. It most likely would tear up.

I keep a couple 5 gallon buckets handy, too. Just wondering if this vest would help at all.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Cooling Vest - 06/05/19 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper
Originally Posted by bobcat1
I bought one tried it one hunt. Never used it again.

Did it not work? Just a pain to deal with? I asked my question on Amazon and a couple folks got back saying that the vest I looked at isn't very tough. It most likely would tear up.

I keep a couple 5 gallon buckets handy, too. Just wondering if this vest would help at all.

I couldn't tell it. But the dog didn't mind it. It just seemed like it might be like putting a coat on and if I couldn't get to him for whatever reason to cool him off...yada yada yada. He'll beat me back to that water trough.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum