Texas Hunting Forum

Sandhill Cranes Heading North

Posted By: scalebuster

Sandhill Cranes Heading North - 03/13/19 12:59 AM

I’ve seen several hundred flying over Graham tonight.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Sandhill Cranes Heading North - 03/13/19 02:50 AM

I dont blame them.
They will be featherless if they stay
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Sandhill Cranes Heading North - 03/14/19 01:52 AM

Snowbirds will also be leaving the Rio Grande V.alley
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Sandhill Cranes Heading North - 03/14/19 05:27 AM

Just west of Graham the Cranes never showed this year at my lease. Even in years without wheat I would get a flyway at times during season that would be close enough I could pull some young birds in with decoys. But years we have wheat planted in our fields, it always became the X at some point during season. We had a beautiful field of wheat this season and never had a bird on it or near it.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Sandhill Cranes Heading North - 03/14/19 12:50 PM

Saw clouds of them heading north a few days ago just outside of Abilene.
Posted By: Mapman

Re: Sandhill Cranes Heading North - 03/14/19 01:37 PM

In the Rock Island area there were a few groups heading north last Saturday.
Posted By: Huskerron

Re: Sandhill Cranes Heading North - 03/14/19 01:54 PM

Someone needs to tell them to fly slow. They don't want to stop on the Platte River today. Winds gusting up to 60 - 70 mph, somewhere around 4" of new snow (hard to tell with the blowing and drifting) and ice jams causing flash flooding. I-80 is closed from Kearney to Wyoming. Should be spring again by tomorrow. Then we'll be back to just dealing with the water. smile
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Sandhill Cranes Heading North - 03/14/19 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper John
Just west of Graham the Cranes never showed this year at my lease. Even in years without wheat I would get a flyway at times during season that would be close enough I could pull some young birds in with decoys. But years we have wheat planted in our fields, it always became the X at some point during season. We had a beautiful field of wheat this season and never had a bird on it or near it.

Interesting I am out by Murray and like the last 3 years, we were covered up in them.
Posted By: JRR

Re: Sandhill Cranes Heading North - 03/15/19 02:05 PM

Our areas in NW Oklahoma we are normally covered with them, this year they showed up way late. I live by Lake Texoma and we had cranes headed north a month ago.
Posted By: Aggiedukmaster

Re: Sandhill Cranes Heading North - 03/15/19 03:33 PM

To the Guys that are around Graham, Throckmorton & Breckenridge. The amount of water that was around this area this past fall was of Epic Proportions & I think what happened was that the normal roost were to Deep & they moved to other locations. I have been hunting in the Woodson Area since '95 and we usually have a fair to Good # of Cranes that hit our Wheat Field(s) and they were Totally Absent this Year. Also, There is a Lake Just N of Sweetwater that usually roost a few thousand birds and it did not have ONE Bird on it this year due to the High Water. Yes, I saw a few flocks headed North on Wed in the Fort Worth Area. I think they were taking advantage of that Strong S Wind.

SK
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Sandhill Cranes Heading North - 03/20/19 04:39 PM

I saw a few in a field near my house last week in Sugar Land.
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: Sandhill Cranes Heading North - 03/21/19 05:13 PM

Saw some Saturday afternoon while calling coyotes northwest of Wichita Falls
Posted By: TruckMan66

Re: Sandhill Cranes Heading North - 03/22/19 12:39 AM

Yea, I was down around Pidcoke TX last weekend and saw some flying back north.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum