Texas Hunting Forum

Sunflower Dove Fields Advice

Posted By: Wood Duck

Sunflower Dove Fields Advice - 03/02/19 07:02 AM

We are looking to establish 50 acres of native sunflowers in southern Coleman County. Does anyone have any strategies for planting, seed recommendations, timing, etc.? We have some wild sunflowers, but the fields were spayed last spring and have cotton stubble now.

Any advice is welcome.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Sunflower Dove Fields Advice - 03/02/19 02:02 PM

Time to turn them and let them grow.
Posted By: jrfan

Re: Sunflower Dove Fields Advice - 03/02/19 02:29 PM

I was told by my local feed/seed guy to freeze the seeds prior to planting. This will help trigger them into germinating. I have no idea if he's correct, but I know I haven't had any luck doing it the way I have been. I'll try it. He also said to wait and plant after the last freeze, sometime mid-March.
Posted By: texas wetlands

Re: Sunflower Dove Fields Advice - 03/02/19 03:23 PM

Better hurry and disc. You probably have all the native seed you need in the ground there now but you are close to missing the window. We normally disc in January for natives to grow for the next season. Never had to buy native seed, mother nature took care of that.

Turner seed will have some spring food plot idea's if the natives don't work out.

Good luck.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Sunflower Dove Fields Advice - 03/02/19 05:59 PM

I plant in April and I plant hybrid seed from Turner Seed They have native but and you can just plow in Dec but I stop using native because weeds were getting bad and I needed to plow the weeds several times
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Sunflower Dove Fields Advice - 03/05/19 04:32 AM

Just scratch the dirt with a spike harrow and they will grow.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum